Implantable device curbs seizures and improves cognition in epileptic rats
A protein-secreting device implanted into the hippocampus of epileptic rats reduces seizures by 93 percent in three months, finds preclinical research published in JNeurosci. These results support ongoing development of this technology and its potential translation into a new treatment for epilepsy.
Motivated by an unmet need for effective and well-tolerated epilepsy therapies, Giovanna Paolone and colleagues of the University of Ferrara, Italy and of Gloriana Therapeutics, Inc. (Providence, RI) investigated the effects of the Gloriana targeted cellular delivery system for glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) — a protein recent research suggests may help suppress epileptic activity.
In addition to quickly and progressively reducing seizures in male rats — by 75 percent within two weeks — the researchers found their device improved rats’ anxiety-like symptoms and their performance on an object recognition task, indicating improvement in cognition.
The treatment also corrected abnormalities in brain anatomy associated with epilepsy. These effects persisted even after the device was removed, indicating this approach may modify the disease progression.
The Latest on: Epilepsy treatment
via Google News
The Latest on: Epilepsy treatment
- Dell Seton Medical Center first in Texas to offer new cutting-edge treatment to epilepsy patients on April 17, 2019 at 2:20 pm
UT’s Dell Seton Medical Center is the first place in Texas to offer deep brain stimulation as a treatment for epilepsy patients. “Deep brain stimulation, in general, is the idea of injecting ... […]
- Keto diet - for the military, aging and epilepsy on April 16, 2019 at 10:02 pm
It has been used in difficult to treat epilepsy, endurance sports and in management of ... diseases that afflict millions and for which there are few treatment options.” Researchers have found that ... […]
- Cannabidiol as an Adjunctive Treatment for Schizophrenia on April 15, 2019 at 6:00 am
McGuire and colleagues 12 used CBD as an adjunctive medication in treatment of acute psychosis in individuals ... Ingredient Derived From M arijuana to Treat Rare, Severe Forms of Epilepsy. 2018. ... […]
- Lost to epilepsy, Bobby Becker lives on in hospital mural on April 12, 2019 at 2:16 pm
a week-long session where every camper has epilepsy and medical professionals are on hand to manage medication and treatment. The fund sponsors 15 children and young adults attend the camp every year. […]
- Evogen Awarded National Institutes of Health SBIR Grant to Advance Its Novel Biomarker-Based Epilepsy Diagnostic on April 10, 2019 at 4:24 am
April 10, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Evogen, Inc., a leader in proteomic and genomic-based testing for improved diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy and other neurological disorders, today announced ... […]
- CHLA uses special playroom to help treat young epilepsy patients on April 10, 2019 at 3:54 am
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Anyone can develop epilepsy. Tracking the location, frequency and intensity of these seizures are key to finding a successful treatment. Children's Hospital Los Angeles ... […]
- Kali-Extracts To Present Cannabis Treatment R&D For $170 Million In Pharmaceutical Market Opportunity On April 17th on April 9, 2019 at 7:30 pm
The overall pain management treatment market is anticipated to reach $83 billion by 2024. The market for epilepsy treatment is anticipated to reach $9 billion by 2022. Beyond the four specific ... […]
- Kali-Extracts Announces Cannabis Treatment For $9 Billion Epilepsy Market Under Development Other OTC:KALY on April 9, 2019 at 7:39 am
The overall pain management treatment market is anticipated to reach $83 billion by 2024 . The market for epilepsy treatment is anticipated to reach $9 billion by 2022 . Beyond the four specific ... […]
- Cerevel Therapeutics Announces Publication of Phase 2a Study Results in Neurology on Its Most Advanced Investigational Epilepsy Treatment on April 9, 2019 at 7:00 am
BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr 9, 2019--Cerevel Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing new medicines to treat disorders of the central nervous system (CNS), today announced the ... […]
- Kali-Extracts Announces Cannabis Treatment For $9 Billion Epilepsy Market Under Development on April 9, 2019 at 6:00 am
DALLAS, April 09, Apr 09, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE via COMTEX) -- DALLAS, April 09, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via OTC PR WIRE -- Kali-Extracts, Inc. (Kali, Inc. dba/Kali-Extracts, Inc.) (usotc:KALY) ("KALY ... […]
via Bing News