In a University of California, Irvine-led study, researchers found evidence that fasting affects circadian clocks in the liver and skeletal muscle, causing them to rewire their metabolism, which can ultimately lead to improved health and protection against aging-associated diseases.
The study was published recently in Cell Reports.
The circadian clock operates within the body and its organs as intrinsic time-keeping machinery to preserve homeostasis in response to the changing environment. And, while food is known to influence clocks in peripheral tissues, it was unclear, until now, how the lack of food influences clock function and ultimately affects the body.
“We discovered fasting influences the circadian clock and fasting-driven cellular responses, which together work to achieve fasting-specific temporal gene regulation,” said lead author Paolo Sassone-Corsi, Donald Bren Professor of Biological Chemistry at UCI’s School of Medicine. “Skeletal muscle, for example, appears to be twice as responsive to fasting as the liver.”
The research was conducted using mice, which were subjected to 24-hour periods of fasting. While fasting, researchers noted the mice exhibited a reduction in oxygen consumption (VO2), respiratory exchange ratio (RER), and energy expenditure, all of which were completely abolished by refeeding, which parallels results observed in humans.
“The reorganization of gene regulation by fasting could prime the genome to a more permissive state to anticipate upcoming food intake and thereby drive a new rhythmic cycle of gene expression. In other words, fasting is able to essentially reprogram a variety of cellular responses. Therefore, optimal fasting in a timed manner would be strategic to positively affect cellular functions and ultimately benefitting health and protecting against aging-associated diseases.”
This study opens new avenues of investigation that could ultimately lead to the development of nutritional strategies to improve health in humans.
Sassone-Corsi first showed the circadian rhythm-metabolism link some 10 years ago, identifying the metabolic pathways through which circadian proteins sense energy levels in cells.
The Latest on: Fasting
via Google News
The Latest on: Fasting
- Covid-19: Kano goes spiritual as Ganduje, Emir directs residents to observe fasting tomorrowon March 29, 2020 at 11:23 am
KANO – Kano State Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje and Emir of Bichi, Nasiru Ado Bayero have called on residents in the state to embark on fasting to seek the intervention of God to overcome the ...
- Call to fasting to help with coronavirus pandemicon March 27, 2020 at 9:38 am
At a time when millions of Christian believers are fasting for Lent, now many are turning their focus to ending the coronavirus pandemic.
- Here's Why You're Not Losing Weight From Intermittent Fastingon March 27, 2020 at 12:51 am
Celebrities like Terry Crews have popularized intermittent fasting—not eating for lengths at a time—as a weight loss tool. The practice doesn't guarantee you'll drop pounds, but it can help you ...
- Intermittent fasting may be a bad idea during the coronavirus pandemic, according to expertson March 25, 2020 at 10:57 am
Intermittent fasting and other diets that restrict calorie intake could just put additional stress on your body during an already-challenging time.
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RDon March 25, 2020 at 5:58 am
There’s nothing more buzzy than intermittent fasting (IF) when it comes to current weight-loss trends. Tons of celebs tout it as their go-to eating approach to get or stay in shape—including Halle ...
- Tempted to Try a Fasting Diet? We Asked Nutritionists to Rate 4 Different Methodson March 25, 2020 at 3:54 am
The name refers to the ratio of daily hours spent fasting to when eating is allowed. You fast overnight (and usually all morning), then consume your calories in an ...
- Louisiana governor urges 'a day of prayer and fasting' over coronaviruson March 24, 2020 at 12:06 pm
The governor of Louisiana on Tuesday called for people to join him in a day of "fasting and prayer" in honor of those who have died or lost loved ones to the coronavirus.
- 'Pleasing to God': Democratic Louisiana governor calls for prayer and fasting in response to pandemicon March 24, 2020 at 10:14 am
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, on Tuesday called for a statewide day of prayer and fasting for "comfort to those who have lost a loved one to COVID-19." ...
- Long-term benefits and risks of intermittent fasting aren’t yet knownon March 23, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Dear Mayo Clinic: Is intermittent fasting for weight loss safe? What are the risks of short-term diets that are very low-calorie? Answer: Recent research has found that using intermittent fasting for ...
- Pennsylvania State Rep Files Resolution Calling for 'State Day of Humiliation, Fasting and Prayer' to Atone for Coronavirus Pandemicon March 23, 2020 at 8:09 pm
Coronavirus may be a "punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins," according to the proposed legislation.
via Bing News