In a University of California, Irvine-led study, researchers found evidence that fasting affects circadian clocks in the liver and skeletal muscle, causing them to rewire their metabolism, which can ultimately lead to improved health and protection against aging-associated diseases.
The study was published recently in Cell Reports.
The circadian clock operates within the body and its organs as intrinsic time-keeping machinery to preserve homeostasis in response to the changing environment. And, while food is known to influence clocks in peripheral tissues, it was unclear, until now, how the lack of food influences clock function and ultimately affects the body.
“We discovered fasting influences the circadian clock and fasting-driven cellular responses, which together work to achieve fasting-specific temporal gene regulation,” said lead author Paolo Sassone-Corsi, Donald Bren Professor of Biological Chemistry at UCI’s School of Medicine. “Skeletal muscle, for example, appears to be twice as responsive to fasting as the liver.”
The research was conducted using mice, which were subjected to 24-hour periods of fasting. While fasting, researchers noted the mice exhibited a reduction in oxygen consumption (VO2), respiratory exchange ratio (RER), and energy expenditure, all of which were completely abolished by refeeding, which parallels results observed in humans.
“The reorganization of gene regulation by fasting could prime the genome to a more permissive state to anticipate upcoming food intake and thereby drive a new rhythmic cycle of gene expression. In other words, fasting is able to essentially reprogram a variety of cellular responses. Therefore, optimal fasting in a timed manner would be strategic to positively affect cellular functions and ultimately benefitting health and protecting against aging-associated diseases.”
This study opens new avenues of investigation that could ultimately lead to the development of nutritional strategies to improve health in humans.
Sassone-Corsi first showed the circadian rhythm-metabolism link some 10 years ago, identifying the metabolic pathways through which circadian proteins sense energy levels in cells.
The Latest on: Fasting
via Google News
The Latest on: Fasting
- Credit Repair Cloud Breaks Into Inc. Magazine's List of the Top 5000 Fasting-Growing Companieson August 16, 2019 at 12:00 pm
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 16, 2019 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Inc. magazine today revealed that Credit Repair Cloud, a pioneer in software systems for credit repair entrepreneurs, is part of the 2019 Inc ...
- Health and Fitness Enthusiast Jeff Mirro Shares Top Resources for Intermittent Fasting Lifestyleson August 16, 2019 at 5:04 am
(MENAFN - Send2Press Newswire) SCRANTON, Pa., Aug. 15, 2019 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) –- Intermittent fasting is not a new topic, but one that's gaining more and more traction when it comes to ...
- Water Fasting 101: What You Need to Knowon August 15, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Piggybacking on the popularity of intermittent fasting, water fasting is making waves in the popular diet world once again. Far from a new approach, this diet, which dates back to ancient Greece, ...
- Mayo Clinic minute: Intermittent fasting factson August 15, 2019 at 10:30 am
Intermittent fasting is cutting yourself off from any food or beverages, other than water, for a certain amount of time. Some fasting is for religious reasons, while others fast for weight loss.
- Health and Fitness Enthusiast Shares Top Resources for Intermittent Fasting Lifestyleson August 15, 2019 at 8:21 am
SCRANTON, Pa., Aug. 15, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Intermittent fasting is not a new topic, but one that's gaining more and more traction when it comes to weight loss and achieving a healthy lifestyle.
- 'After Struggling With PCOS, I Tried Intermittent Fasting And Lost 100 Pounds Naturally'on August 15, 2019 at 3:00 am
Jen Wagner Figuring out how to lose weight with PCOS was hard for Jen Wagner. After some trial and error, she found that intermittent fasting was the key to her success. My weight piled on pretty ...
- 'I Conquered My PCOS Weight Gain With Intermittent Fasting—And Lost 100 Pounds'on August 15, 2019 at 3:00 am
I was extremely active and athletic all through elementary school, junior high, and high school. I played soccer, volleyball, tennis, and ran track. But after I got married at 21, the weight struggle ...
- Pastor told mom of boy he molested he was ‘praying and fasting for forgiveness,’ cops sayon August 14, 2019 at 5:20 pm
After learning that her 15-year-old son had been inappropriately touched by a pastor, the mother confronted the man, only to be told that “he was praying and fasting for forgiveness,” Coral Springs ...
- Fasting and rapamycin: diabetes versus benevolent glucose intoleranceon August 12, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Rapamycin (Sirolimus) slows aging, extends life span, and prevents age-related diseases, including diabetic complications such as retinopathy. Puzzlingly, rapamycin can induce insulin sensitivity, but ...
- 'I Went From A Size 22 To A 14 By Combining Keto And Intermittent Fasting'on August 10, 2019 at 3:00 am
I was a rebellious kid and teen. I didn't want to listen to my mom, and she was the one who tried so hard to help me lose weight in my younger years. It was never about vanity—she was genuinely ...
via Bing News