In a University of California, Irvine-led study, researchers found evidence that fasting affects circadian clocks in the liver and skeletal muscle, causing them to rewire their metabolism, which can ultimately lead to improved health and protection against aging-associated diseases.
The study was published recently in Cell Reports.
The circadian clock operates within the body and its organs as intrinsic time-keeping machinery to preserve homeostasis in response to the changing environment. And, while food is known to influence clocks in peripheral tissues, it was unclear, until now, how the lack of food influences clock function and ultimately affects the body.
“We discovered fasting influences the circadian clock and fasting-driven cellular responses, which together work to achieve fasting-specific temporal gene regulation,” said lead author Paolo Sassone-Corsi, Donald Bren Professor of Biological Chemistry at UCI’s School of Medicine. “Skeletal muscle, for example, appears to be twice as responsive to fasting as the liver.”
The research was conducted using mice, which were subjected to 24-hour periods of fasting. While fasting, researchers noted the mice exhibited a reduction in oxygen consumption (VO2), respiratory exchange ratio (RER), and energy expenditure, all of which were completely abolished by refeeding, which parallels results observed in humans.
“The reorganization of gene regulation by fasting could prime the genome to a more permissive state to anticipate upcoming food intake and thereby drive a new rhythmic cycle of gene expression. In other words, fasting is able to essentially reprogram a variety of cellular responses. Therefore, optimal fasting in a timed manner would be strategic to positively affect cellular functions and ultimately benefitting health and protecting against aging-associated diseases.”
This study opens new avenues of investigation that could ultimately lead to the development of nutritional strategies to improve health in humans.
Sassone-Corsi first showed the circadian rhythm-metabolism link some 10 years ago, identifying the metabolic pathways through which circadian proteins sense energy levels in cells.
The Latest on: Fasting
via Google News
The Latest on: Fasting
- FULL TEXT: Mahama’s message at NDC’s service to end 3-day fasting and prayer against coronaviruson March 22, 2020 at 1:37 pm
My Brothers and Sisters in Christ, thank you for joining us from your various locations this morning. Today marks the end of three days of fasting and prayer declared by our National Chairman last ...
- Coronavirus: Hopes, fasting & prayers not strategy, national plan needed – Mahama to Govton March 22, 2020 at 10:26 am
The former leader claimed that the state ought to do something extra beyond the fasting and prayers else the nation is likely to be overwhelmed by a possible surge in cases of the coronavirus. Mr.
- Chaitra Navratri 2020: Know The Significance, Importance, Rituals And Fasting Rules For Auspicious Hindu Festivalon March 22, 2020 at 9:45 am
Chaitra Navratri is a Hindu festival that is celebrated all over the world. The festival is celebrated for 9 days. This year, Chaitra Navratri will begin on April 6 and will be concluded on April 14.
- Tool aids safe fasting for T2DM patients observing Ramadanon March 20, 2020 at 10:52 am
(HealthDay)—Use of the Fasting Algorithm for Singaporeans with Type 2 Diabetes (FAST) facilitates safe intermittent fasting for patients with diabetes during Ramadan, according to a study published in ...
- Why intermittent fasting has been a staple of long-living Blue Zones cultures for decadeson March 19, 2020 at 5:06 pm
While there are definitely dietary patterns that are solidly connected with longevity (ahem, the Mediterranean diet), Buettner has also found something else that many centenarians have in common: a ...
- Saying Kaddish from balconies and fasting: How Hasidic Jews are responding to the coronaviruson March 19, 2020 at 1:45 pm
NEW YORK (JTA) — One of Avi Webb’s favorite times of the week is Sunday morning, when he takes his children to morning prayers at his synagogue and stays for a lesson on Hasidic thought. His kids play ...
- Why Tyler Perry’s Calling for Fasting and Prayer During Coronavirus Pandemicon March 19, 2020 at 7:01 am
Let’s not be selfish because we're not in the higher risk groups. Let’s help protect them. And most of all, for those of us who do pray, let’s send up some strong and solid fasting and prayers for ...
- 12 Burning Questions About Intermittent Fasting, Answeredon March 18, 2020 at 7:52 am
Forget counting calories or swearing off carbs — the latest diet fad doesn’t put limitations on what you eat. Rather, it focuses on the when. This way of eating is called intermittent fasting (IF), ...
- Intermittent fasting linked to reduced risk of liver diseaseon March 13, 2020 at 6:50 am
Photo (c) StephanieFrey - Getty Images Intermittent fasting has recently gained traction for its ability to help consumers lose weight and achieve a healthier lifestyle, but a new study shows that it ...
- Fasting is the practice for Lent this weekon March 12, 2020 at 1:19 pm
As the season of Lent continues in the Christian world, the Lenten practice to ponder this week is fasting. One of the dictionary definitions of fasting is to abstain voluntarily from from food or ...
via Bing News