Research from North Carolina State University has demonstrated a new technique that converts carbon fibers and nanotubes into diamond fibers at ambient temperature and pressure in air using a pulsed laser method.
The conversion method involves melting the carbon using nanosecond laser pulses and then quenching, or rapidly cooling, the material.
These diamond fibers could find uses in nanoscale devices with functions ranging from quantum computing, sensing and communication to diamond brushes and field-emission displays. The method can also be used to create diamond-seeded carbon fibers that can be used to grow larger diamond structures using hot-filament chemical vapor deposition and plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition techniques. These larger diamond structures could find uses as tool coatings for oil and gas exploration as well as deep-sea drilling, and for diamond jewelry.
Previous methods used to convert non-diamond carbon to diamond have involved using extreme heat and pressure at great expense with a limited yield. Melting the carbon with laser pulses and then undercooling it with a substrate made of sapphire, glass or a plastic polymer are the two keys to the discovery, said Dr. Jagdish Narayan, John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and corresponding author of a paper describing the work.
“Without undercooling, you cannot convert carbon into diamond this way,” Narayan said.
When heated, carbon normally goes from a solid state to a gas. Using a substrate restricts heat flow from the laser pulse enough that the carbon does not change phases.
The laser, similar to those used for Lasik eye surgery, is used for only 100 nanoseconds and heats the carbon to a temperature of 4,000 Kelvin, about 3,727 degrees Celsius.
NC State has filed for a patent licensing the technology.
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
via Google News
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
- How to keep your pet forever: Spin its fur into yarnon January 15, 2020 at 7:25 am
Would I like her turned into a diamond? Tattoo ink? I wasn’t so sure ... A vegan for several decades, Furrer doesn’t wear sheep’s wool and didn’t want to spin it, either. So she crowdsourced cat and ...
- 1,000 Mile Test: Black Diamond Guide Gloveson January 13, 2020 at 9:20 am
But the Black Diamond Guides have remained a trustworthy staple of my ... The PrimaLoft and a quarter-inch-thick mat of boiled wool on the back have enabled these gloves to handle ice climbing in ...
- Hybrid Fiber Optic Connectors Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2024on January 8, 2020 at 11:23 pm
It further entails the categorization of the Hybrid Fiber Optic Connectors Market based on geography. The Leading Market Players Covered in this Report are : Diamond SA, Amphenol Corporation, LEMO, ...
- Reliance Jio Fiber vs Airtel Fiber vs ACT Fibernet: Best long-term plans for broadband userson January 6, 2020 at 7:08 pm
A three month subscription for Jio Fiber’s Titanium plan offers 18,750GB of internet data and OTT apps at a price of Rs 8,499.
- Codabow Diamond GX Carbon Fiber Violin Bow - Silver Mounted - Pristine Conditionon January 2, 2020 at 5:46 pm
This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition ...
- Diamond Mattress launching its first adjustable pillowon December 19, 2019 at 6:04 am
RANCHO DOMINGUEZ, Calif. — Omnichannel sleep products manufacturer Diamond Mattress is launching its first adjustable pillow, which it says provides the key benefits of easy customization, pressure ...
- Revolutionary maintenance-free fiber optic interconnectson December 16, 2019 at 4:00 pm
the alignment accuracy between the fiber, the lens and their corresponding counterpart must be kept very tight in order to attain proper insertion losses. Diamond has developed an ultra-low tolerance ...
- Global Fiber Optic Stripper Market 2019- AFL, Belden Incorporated, Bruce Diamond Corporationon November 24, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Major Manufacturers Analysis of Fiber Optic Stripper: Acme United Corporation (Clauss Brand) AFL Belden Incorporated Bruce Diamond Corporation Comway Tecnology LLC. Corning Diamond SA DVP OE Tech ...
- Diamond 247 Keto Diet Pills — Exclusive Reviews 2019on November 16, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Diamond 247 Keto prevents colon cancer. Fiber also helps increase cholesterol production, thus preventing heart disease, gallstones or kidney stones. Other significant benefits of African mango ...
- Black Diamond Company produces snow skis. Each ski requires 2 pounds of carbon fiber. The...on October 20, 2019 at 6:56 am
Black Diamond Company produces snow skis. Each ski requires 2 pounds of carbon fiber. The company's management predicts that 5,000 skis and 6,000 pounds of carbon fiber will be in inventory on June 30 ...
via Bing News