Research from North Carolina State University has demonstrated a new technique that converts carbon fibers and nanotubes into diamond fibers at ambient temperature and pressure in air using a pulsed laser method.
The conversion method involves melting the carbon using nanosecond laser pulses and then quenching, or rapidly cooling, the material.
These diamond fibers could find uses in nanoscale devices with functions ranging from quantum computing, sensing and communication to diamond brushes and field-emission displays. The method can also be used to create diamond-seeded carbon fibers that can be used to grow larger diamond structures using hot-filament chemical vapor deposition and plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition techniques. These larger diamond structures could find uses as tool coatings for oil and gas exploration as well as deep-sea drilling, and for diamond jewelry.
Previous methods used to convert non-diamond carbon to diamond have involved using extreme heat and pressure at great expense with a limited yield. Melting the carbon with laser pulses and then undercooling it with a substrate made of sapphire, glass or a plastic polymer are the two keys to the discovery, said Dr. Jagdish Narayan, John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and corresponding author of a paper describing the work.
“Without undercooling, you cannot convert carbon into diamond this way,” Narayan said.
When heated, carbon normally goes from a solid state to a gas. Using a substrate restricts heat flow from the laser pulse enough that the carbon does not change phases.
The laser, similar to those used for Lasik eye surgery, is used for only 100 nanoseconds and heats the carbon to a temperature of 4,000 Kelvin, about 3,727 degrees Celsius.
NC State has filed for a patent licensing the technology.
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
via Google News
The Latest on: Diamond fibers
- Owners of Seng Jewelers sentenced for theft of dying woman’s diamond ringon January 30, 2020 at 3:02 pm
They’d been accused of selling off a Winston diamond ring valued at $54,000 they’d consigned ... “They took a lady who was terminally ill, and took her ring and pulled the wool over her head.” ...
- Reliance Jio Fiber vs Airtel Fiber vs ACT Fibernet vs BSNL: Best long-term plans for broadband userson January 29, 2020 at 4:02 pm
Confused which long-term broadband plan to choose? Here’s a list from the four top broadband providers in India.
- Diamond-studded Coronation crowns Fender Custom Shop NAMM treatson January 29, 2020 at 10:30 am
The Coronation Stratocaster tool 16 months to build and is priced at $560,000 The striking instrument features gilded silver artwork, a Guilloche pattern on the wood that's topped with gold leaf, ...
- Damosa tops off its Diamond Toweron January 28, 2020 at 10:13 am
Cathy Saldaña of PDP Architects and Carwill Construction. More than the interesting aesthetic, as the development boasts of a façade depicting the wavy lines of banana fibers—Davao’s top export—the ...
- Diamond Mattress introduces its first adjustable pillowon January 28, 2020 at 9:23 am
The Diamond Adjustable Pillow is constructed of shredded gel memory foam and fiber blend filling, encased by a zippered, moisture-wicking fabric shell and includes a removable pillowcase. The pillow ...
- Nuts And Nut Meals Market And Top Key Players are Blue Diamond Growers Inc., Cargill Inc., Richardson Internationalon January 27, 2020 at 11:19 pm
Many nuts are great sources of Vitamin E, vitamin B2, folic acid, fiber, and the vital minerals like magnesium ... Key players in Global Nuts and Nutmeals Market: Major players in the Global Nuts and ...
- Damosa Diamond Tower topped offon January 27, 2020 at 8:02 am
The 17-storey Damosa Diamond Tower offers 20,000 square meters of leasable space. The building’s facade echoes the wavy lines of banana fibers — Davao’s top export. It also promotes the use of ...
- The market for advanced carbon materials is expected to grow at a CAGR of 11.47% during the forecast period of 2019on January 25, 2020 at 4:10 pm
With the growing demand for various advanced materials (such as carbon fibers, carbon nanotubes, graphene, special graphite, carbon foams, nanocrystalline diamond (NCD), diamond-like-carbon (DLC ...
- Jio Fiber, Airtel, ACT Fibernet, and more: These are best monthly broadband planson January 21, 2020 at 8:51 pm
It currently offers six plans including bronze, silver, gold, diamond, platinum and titanium ... Take a look at other broadband plans Reliance Jio Fiber has to offer ACT Fibernet customers ...
- Revolutionary maintenance-free fiber optic interconnectson January 9, 2020 at 4:00 pm
the alignment accuracy between the fiber, the lens and their corresponding counterpart must be kept very tight in order to attain proper insertion losses. Diamond has developed an ultra-low tolerance ...
via Bing News