U of A chemists confirm importance of nano-sizing silicon to improve lithium ion batteries.
University of Alberta chemists have taken a critical step toward creating a new generation of silicon-based lithium ion batteries with 10 times the charge capacity of current cells.
“We wanted to test how different sizes of silicon nanoparticles could affect fracturing inside these batteries,” said Jillian Buriak, a U of A chemist and Canada Research Chair in Nanomaterials for Energy.
Silicon shows promise for building much higher-capacity batteries because it’s abundant and can absorb much more lithium than the graphite used in current lithium ion batteries. The problem is that silicon is prone to fracturing and breaking after numerous charge-and-discharge cycles, because it expands and contracts as it absorbs and releases lithium ions.
Existing research shows that shaping silicon into nano-scale particles, wires or tubes helps prevent it from breaking. What Buriak, fellow U of A chemist Jonathan Veinot and their team wanted to know was what size these structures needed to be to maximize the benefits of silicon while minimizing the drawbacks.
The researchers examined silicon nanoparticles of four different sizes, evenly dispersed within highly conductive graphene aerogels, made of carbon with nanoscopic pores, to compensate for silicon’s low conductivity. They found that the smallest particles—just three billionths of a metre in diameter—showed the best long-term stability after many charging and discharging cycles.
“As the particles get smaller, we found they are better able to manage the strain that occurs as the silicon ‘breathes’ upon alloying and dealloying with lithium, upon cycling,” explained Buriak.
The research has potential applications in “anything that relies upon energy storage using a battery,” said Veinot, who is the director of the ATUMS graduate student training program that partially supported the research.
“Imagine a car having the same size battery as a Tesla that could travel 10 times farther or you charge 10 times less frequently, or the battery is 10 times lighter.”
Veinot said the next steps are to develop a faster, less expensive way to create silicon nanoparticles to make them more accessible for industry and technology developers.
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
- Fluorocyanoesters as Additives for Lithium-Ion Battery Electrolyteson March 21, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Find more information on the Altmetric Attention Score and how the score is calculated. A range of methyl 2-fluorocyanoester derivatives were synthesized from dimethyl 2-fluoromalonate ester, and ...
- Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Market 2020-2024 | Decline in Lithium Ion Battery Cost to Boost Growth | Technavioon March 21, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Technavio has been monitoring the lithium iron phosphate battery market and it is poised to grow by USD 9.35 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 18% during the forecast period. The ...
- Northvolt Delivers Largest Battery Order To Date To Epirocon March 21, 2020 at 11:36 am
Northvolt, the company that tries to become a new European lithium-ion battery cell manufacturer ( with gigafactory projects already underway ), boasted about its largest battery delivery so far - for ...
- Rechargeable Poly Lithium-Ion Battery Market Growth Scenario 2026 | Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, Olympus, Motorolaon March 21, 2020 at 7:22 am
The latest release from HTF MI highlights the key market trends impacting the growth of the Global Rechargeable Poly Lithium-Ion Battery market. The study highlights influencing factors that are ...
- Global Lithium-ion Battery for Vehicles Market 2020 In-depth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications 2026on March 21, 2020 at 6:31 am
A crucial report added by Market Research Place titled Global Lithium-ion Battery for Vehicles Market Insights, Forecast to 2026 is a valuable supply of perceptive information for business strategists ...
- Global Lithium-Ion Battery Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with A123 Systems LLC and Amperex Technology Ltd. | Technavioon March 19, 2020 at 5:22 pm
The global lithium-ion battery market is poised to grow by USD 47.81 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 16% during the forecast period. Request free sample pages This press ...
- Sandwich-Structured Ordered Mesoporous Polydopamine/MXene Hybrids as High-Performance Anodes for Lithium-Ion Batterieson March 19, 2020 at 2:01 pm
International Research Center for Materials Nanoarchitechtonics (WPI-MANA), National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), 1-1 Namiki, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0044, Japan State Key Laboratory for ...
- Hierarchical porous silicon structures with extraordinary mechanical strength as high-performance lithium-ion battery anodeson March 19, 2020 at 3:15 am
The authors here construct hierarchical porous [email protected]@C microspheres as anodes for Li-ion batteries, enabling both high electrochemical performance and excellent mechanical strength. The work ...
- Six Ways to Extend EV Battery Life, Plus Six Things Lithium-Ion Batteries Hateon March 13, 2020 at 8:17 am
Our lives are increasingly filled with battery-powered devices, most of which now use lithium-ion batteries, including cell phones, laptops, power tools, and—most pertinent for us—in electric vehicles ...
- Toward Enhanced State of Charge Estimation of Lithium-ion Batteries Using Optimized Machine Learning Techniqueson March 13, 2020 at 3:14 am
State of charge (SOC) is a crucial index used in the assessment of electric vehicle (EV) battery storage systems. Thus, SOC estimation of lithium-ion batteries has been widely investigated because of ...
via Bing News