U of A chemists confirm importance of nano-sizing silicon to improve lithium ion batteries.
University of Alberta chemists have taken a critical step toward creating a new generation of silicon-based lithium ion batteries with 10 times the charge capacity of current cells.
“We wanted to test how different sizes of silicon nanoparticles could affect fracturing inside these batteries,” said Jillian Buriak, a U of A chemist and Canada Research Chair in Nanomaterials for Energy.
Silicon shows promise for building much higher-capacity batteries because it’s abundant and can absorb much more lithium than the graphite used in current lithium ion batteries. The problem is that silicon is prone to fracturing and breaking after numerous charge-and-discharge cycles, because it expands and contracts as it absorbs and releases lithium ions.
Existing research shows that shaping silicon into nano-scale particles, wires or tubes helps prevent it from breaking. What Buriak, fellow U of A chemist Jonathan Veinot and their team wanted to know was what size these structures needed to be to maximize the benefits of silicon while minimizing the drawbacks.
The researchers examined silicon nanoparticles of four different sizes, evenly dispersed within highly conductive graphene aerogels, made of carbon with nanoscopic pores, to compensate for silicon’s low conductivity. They found that the smallest particles—just three billionths of a metre in diameter—showed the best long-term stability after many charging and discharging cycles.
“As the particles get smaller, we found they are better able to manage the strain that occurs as the silicon ‘breathes’ upon alloying and dealloying with lithium, upon cycling,” explained Buriak.
The research has potential applications in “anything that relies upon energy storage using a battery,” said Veinot, who is the director of the ATUMS graduate student training program that partially supported the research.
“Imagine a car having the same size battery as a Tesla that could travel 10 times farther or you charge 10 times less frequently, or the battery is 10 times lighter.”
Veinot said the next steps are to develop a faster, less expensive way to create silicon nanoparticles to make them more accessible for industry and technology developers.
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
- KION Battery Systems starts production of lithium-ion batterieson December 1, 2020 at 8:23 am
... Systems (KBS), a joint venture between intralogistics provider KION GROUP AG and battery manufacturer BMZ Holding GmbH, has started production of lithium-ion batteries for industrial trucks. In ...
- Lithium ion Battery Separator Market Size USD 15390 Million By 2026 AT A CAGR 11.3% - Valuates Reportson December 1, 2020 at 7:43 am
The Lithium ion Battery Separator Market is segmented by Type - Single-Layer (PP/PE), Bilayer (PP/PE, PP/PP), Trilayer (PP/PE/PP), ...
- American Manganese Inc. Achieves 99.7% Extraction of Lithium-ion Battery Material with Continuous Operation of Pilot Plant Projecton December 1, 2020 at 6:22 am
SURREY, BC / ACCESSWIRE / December 1, 2020 / American Manganese Inc. (TSXV:AMY)(OTC PINK:AMYZF)(FSE:2AM) ("AMY" or the "Company") is pleased to report that the RecycLiCo™ pilot plant leach stages ...
- Williams and Oxis take lithium-sulfur battery tech to the high season November 30, 2020 at 7:26 pm
Two heavyweights in the world of high-performance battery technology are teaming up to create the world's first lithium-sulfur battery-powered luxury boat. Motorsport supplier Williams Advanced ...
- Lithium-ion Battery Recycling Market Size USD 19380 Million By 2026 At A CAGR 38.1% - Valuates Reportson November 30, 2020 at 6:30 am
PRNewswire/ -- The Lithium-ion Battery Recycling Market is segmented by Type - LiCoO2 Battery, NMC Battery, LiFePO4 Battery, by Applications - ...
- Global Automotive Lithium-ion Batteries Carbon Black Market 2020 Status and Outlook, Industry Growth Rate, Opportunities and Challenges to 2025on November 29, 2020 at 11:28 pm
This intensive research report entitled Global Automotive Lithium-ion Batteries Carbon Black Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 compiled and published by MarketQuest.
- Could Cornwall see a Lithium-ion battery revolution?on November 29, 2020 at 10:28 pm
British Lithium is prospecting in the county to find economically viable seams of the element.
- Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Market Research Report by Power Capacity, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on November 27, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Automotive Lithium-Ion Battery Market Research Report by Power ...
- Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Market Pegged to Surpass USD 17.21 Billion Valuation by End of – 2027 : Umicore, Glencore, Retriev Technologies, Etc.on November 26, 2020 at 12:42 pm
The global lithium-ion battery recycling market is forecast to reach USD 17.21 billion by 2027, according to a new report by Reports and Data. The market will grow from USD 2.64 billion in 2019 at a ...
- Creating higher energy density lithium-ion batteries for renewable energy applicationson November 24, 2020 at 8:07 am
Lithium-ion batteries that function as high-performance power sources for renewable applications, such as electric vehicles and consumer electronics, require electrodes that deliver high energy ...
via Bing News