U of A chemists confirm importance of nano-sizing silicon to improve lithium ion batteries.
University of Alberta chemists have taken a critical step toward creating a new generation of silicon-based lithium ion batteries with 10 times the charge capacity of current cells.
“We wanted to test how different sizes of silicon nanoparticles could affect fracturing inside these batteries,” said Jillian Buriak, a U of A chemist and Canada Research Chair in Nanomaterials for Energy.
Silicon shows promise for building much higher-capacity batteries because it’s abundant and can absorb much more lithium than the graphite used in current lithium ion batteries. The problem is that silicon is prone to fracturing and breaking after numerous charge-and-discharge cycles, because it expands and contracts as it absorbs and releases lithium ions.
Existing research shows that shaping silicon into nano-scale particles, wires or tubes helps prevent it from breaking. What Buriak, fellow U of A chemist Jonathan Veinot and their team wanted to know was what size these structures needed to be to maximize the benefits of silicon while minimizing the drawbacks.
The researchers examined silicon nanoparticles of four different sizes, evenly dispersed within highly conductive graphene aerogels, made of carbon with nanoscopic pores, to compensate for silicon’s low conductivity. They found that the smallest particles—just three billionths of a metre in diameter—showed the best long-term stability after many charging and discharging cycles.
“As the particles get smaller, we found they are better able to manage the strain that occurs as the silicon ‘breathes’ upon alloying and dealloying with lithium, upon cycling,” explained Buriak.
The research has potential applications in “anything that relies upon energy storage using a battery,” said Veinot, who is the director of the ATUMS graduate student training program that partially supported the research.
“Imagine a car having the same size battery as a Tesla that could travel 10 times farther or you charge 10 times less frequently, or the battery is 10 times lighter.”
Veinot said the next steps are to develop a faster, less expensive way to create silicon nanoparticles to make them more accessible for industry and technology developers.
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
- Dramatic footage of exploding Lime bike battery highlights safety issueson August 16, 2019 at 3:05 pm
Cuerpo told GeekWire that the department is seeing an increase in fires due to “the overall proliferation of more devices, whether they be portable or household devices, that utilize lithium-ion ...
- US government awards General Motors $2M for solid-state battery researchon August 16, 2019 at 12:33 pm
The industry often regards solid-state batteries as a holy grail of sorts for electric powertrains. Not only do they leapfrog modern lithium-ion batteries due to their smaller packaging size and ...
- Gravity over lithium-ion: SoftBank invests $110 million in Swiss storage company Energy Vaulton August 16, 2019 at 8:03 am
"Lithium-ion batteries dominate the energy storage space, accounting for about 90% of energy storage installations year-on-year (excluding pumped hydro)," she said. The investment of Japan-based ...
- Asia-Pacific Lithium-ion Battery Market Forecast to 2025: Track the Role of Samsung, LG Chem, SK Innovation, Panasonic, and Kokamon August 16, 2019 at 4:54 am
Dublin, Aug. 16, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The “Asia-Pacific Lithium-ion Battery Market, Forecast to 2025” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. Increasing use of smartphones that ...
- Electrovaya Announces Two Repeat Purchase Orders for Lithium Ion Battery Systems Worth C$1.1 millionon August 16, 2019 at 3:11 am
TORONTO, Aug. 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ - Electrovaya Inc. ("Electrovaya" or the "Company") (TSX: EFL; OTCQX: EFLVF) is pleased to announce that it has received two new purchase orders totaling ...
- Why Samsung Could Be Ditching Smartphone Lithium-Ion Batteries For Grapheneon August 13, 2019 at 4:17 am
Samsung is rumored to be working on a smartphone that has a graphene battery. What’s with this kind of battery that the Korean giant wants it? A tweet from known leaker Evan Blass revealed that ...
- Lithium-ion Battery Market 2019 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth by 2024 - MRE Reporton August 12, 2019 at 9:42 pm
Aug 13, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, August 13, 2019: Lithium-ion battery is part of rechargeable battery group. Lithium-ion batteries provide excessive storage capacity, better efficiency and ...
- Lithium Ion Battery Market 2019 Industry Demand, Size, Growth Report By 2024 - Market Research Engineon August 12, 2019 at 9:32 pm
Aug 13, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, August 13, 2019: The report covers detailed competitive outlook including the market share and company profiles of the key participants operating in the ...
- This Is A Game-Changer For Lithium-Ion Batterieson August 7, 2019 at 11:39 pm
The latest news in the battery space has been about alternatives to lithium-ion technology, which still dominates the space in electronics and cars but is being increasingly challenged from ...
- Navigant Research Report Shows Lithium Ion Battery Prices Are Expected to Fall at an Average Annual Rate of 6.5% for the Nexton August 6, 2019 at 2:21 am
Navigant Research Report Shows Lithium Ion Battery Prices Are Expected to Fall at an Average Annual Rate of 6.5% for the Next Decade Growing demand for stationary energy storage and a resulting ...
via Bing News