U of A chemists confirm importance of nano-sizing silicon to improve lithium ion batteries.
University of Alberta chemists have taken a critical step toward creating a new generation of silicon-based lithium ion batteries with 10 times the charge capacity of current cells.
“We wanted to test how different sizes of silicon nanoparticles could affect fracturing inside these batteries,” said Jillian Buriak, a U of A chemist and Canada Research Chair in Nanomaterials for Energy.
Silicon shows promise for building much higher-capacity batteries because it’s abundant and can absorb much more lithium than the graphite used in current lithium ion batteries. The problem is that silicon is prone to fracturing and breaking after numerous charge-and-discharge cycles, because it expands and contracts as it absorbs and releases lithium ions.
Existing research shows that shaping silicon into nano-scale particles, wires or tubes helps prevent it from breaking. What Buriak, fellow U of A chemist Jonathan Veinot and their team wanted to know was what size these structures needed to be to maximize the benefits of silicon while minimizing the drawbacks.
The researchers examined silicon nanoparticles of four different sizes, evenly dispersed within highly conductive graphene aerogels, made of carbon with nanoscopic pores, to compensate for silicon’s low conductivity. They found that the smallest particles—just three billionths of a metre in diameter—showed the best long-term stability after many charging and discharging cycles.
“As the particles get smaller, we found they are better able to manage the strain that occurs as the silicon ‘breathes’ upon alloying and dealloying with lithium, upon cycling,” explained Buriak.
The research has potential applications in “anything that relies upon energy storage using a battery,” said Veinot, who is the director of the ATUMS graduate student training program that partially supported the research.
“Imagine a car having the same size battery as a Tesla that could travel 10 times farther or you charge 10 times less frequently, or the battery is 10 times lighter.”
Veinot said the next steps are to develop a faster, less expensive way to create silicon nanoparticles to make them more accessible for industry and technology developers.
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
via Google News
The Latest on: Lithium ion batteries
- Global Lithium-Ion Power Battery Market Size Projected to Reach $100 Billion By 2025on June 24, 2020 at 5:45 am
PRNewswire/ -- In the global lithium-ion power battery market, recent reports on total revenue numbers differ in size, but they agree that future ...
- Endicott lithium-ion battery recycling meeting: 5 things to know before you joinon June 24, 2020 at 4:00 am
The sponsors of the proposed battery recycling plant in Endicott will host a virtual public meeting at 6:30 p.m. June 30.
- Nano One Introduces a Breakthrough in Longer Lasting Lithium-Ion Cathode Materialson June 24, 2020 at 12:07 am
Dr. Stephen Campbell, Chief Technology Officer of Nano One Materials Corp. is pleased to announce the development of a coated, single crystal cathode material for lithium ion batteries that is ...
- German battery market growth driven by on lithium-ion demand: ZVEIon June 23, 2020 at 11:17 am
Germany's electronics industry saw a strong increase in the battery market last year, spurred by demand for lithium-ion batteries for electric cars in a wider roll-out aimed at cutting carbon ...
- Global Lithium-Ion Battery Separator Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology, Application & Product Typeon June 23, 2020 at 9:00 am
Ion Battery Separator Market Insights 2020, Analysis and Forecast Global and Chinese Market to 2025, by Manufacturers, ...
- Cool metric for lithium-ion batteries could spur progresson June 23, 2020 at 5:04 am
A new measure for the rate of heat removal from battery packs gives manufacturers a simple way to compare products.
- Global Lithium Ion Battery Market: Technology Landscape, Trends, Opportunities and Competitive Analysis (2013-2024)on June 23, 2020 at 1:34 am
Dublin, June 23, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Technology Landscape, Trends and Opportunities in the Global Lithium ion Battery Market" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The ...
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Secondary Battery Market 2020-2024 | Decline In Lithium-ion Battery Costs to Boost Growth | Technavioon June 22, 2020 at 4:00 am
Technavio has announced its latest market research report titled Global Secondary Battery Market 2020-2024 (Graphic: Business Wire) LONDON-- ( BUSINESS WIRE )--Technavio has been monitoring the ...
- Preventing lithium loss for high-capacity lithium-ion batterieson June 21, 2020 at 9:07 pm
A team of Korean researchers has developed a processing technology for maximizing energy densities of high-capacity batteries. The joint research team, which consists of Dr. Lee, Minah of the Center ...
- Lithium-Ion Battery Separator Market Insights (2020 to 2025) - Analysis and Forecast for the Global and Chinese Marketson June 19, 2020 at 2:37 am
Ion Battery Separator Market Insights 2020, Analysis and Forecast Global and Chinese Market to 2025, by Manufacturers, Regio ...
via Bing News