ETRI successfully exchanged quantum information on daylight in a free-space quantum key distribution
The Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) has reported a successful free-space quantum key distribution (QKD) in daylight with the self-developed polarization encoding chip for the first time. QKD is one of the most promising secure communication technologies, which encodes information into a single-photon, the smallest measurable unit of light. By using the quantum mechanical properties of the single-photon, quantum cryptography guarantees secure information exchange between the distant parties. The report is particularly worthy of attention in two points as follows.
First, ETRI’s free-space QKD system works successfully even during the daylight whereas most other systems have failed to operate properly due to substantial amount of noise photons from sunlight. By developing and adopting elaborate noise filtering technologies, ETRI’s QKD system achieved the secure key rate of 142.94 kbps with quantum bit error rate of 4.26% in daylight over the free-space distance of 275 m .
Second, ETRI’s QKD system is configured with the self-developed polarization encoding chip, which dramatically reduces the size of the system compared to conventional QKD systems. Miniaturizing key components is highly important to make QKD systems to be used for the secure communication solution of several applications requiring light-weight such as Unmanned Aircraft Vehicle (UAV) and automotive cars, whose security is one of the critical concerns. The chip-based QKD component of ETRI is considered as a core technology for the commercialization of QKD system in various fields.
ETRI is now applying their integrated-chip technologies to other optical components to realize miniaturized QKD transceiver modules. Also, ETRI is trying to conduct the free-space QKD experiments for the extended transmission distance in daylight.
The Latest on: Quantum key distribution
via Google News
The Latest on: Quantum key distribution
- Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Markets, 2028on November 14, 2019 at 4:21 pm
DUBLIN, Nov. 14, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Markets: 2019-2028" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report identifies the revenue generation ...
- Scientists develop quantum key distribution chip of just three millimetres in sizeon November 3, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Quantum technology, however, allows us to encrypt the key within the message. (Web Desk) – One of the ways in which quantum technology promises to revolutionise computing is through quantum key ...
- QuintessenceLabs, Tech Mahindra and BT Develop an End-to-End Video Messaging Solution Secured by Quantum Key Distribution (QKD)on November 3, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Market 2019 Global Trend, Segmentation And Opportunities Forecast To 2025on October 17, 2019 at 5:32 am
Press release from: Researchmoz Global Pvt Ltd. Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Market report begins with an executive summary that highlights the Market Overview, Market Trends, Market Dynamics, ...
- Quantum key distribution with simply characterized light sourceson October 11, 2019 at 2:40 am
To guarantee the security of quantum key distribution (QKD), security proofs of QKD protocols have assumptions on the devices. Commonly used assumptions are, for example, each random bit information ...
- quantum key distribution (QKD)on October 4, 2019 at 9:43 am
China is sitting on the encrypted data it exfiltrates, waiting for a quantum computer capable of cracking it. Post-quantum cryptography is one way to protect time-sensitive information, while some ...
- The Imminent Failure of Quantum Key Distribution (aka Quantum Cryptography or Quantum Security)on September 24, 2019 at 9:36 am
What is Quantum Key Distribution? Both the sender and the receiver share a common secret key. This is also called Symmetric Cryptography. The Sender will encrypt the information with the secret key ...
- Quantum Xchange Breaks Final Barriers to Make Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) Commercially Viable with the Launch of Phio TXon September 9, 2019 at 6:01 am
quantum cryptography via Quantum Key Distribution (QKD), or a combination of both – all resistant to quantum attack. "Phio TX is a true game-changing technology and puts Quantum Xchange several years ...
- Synopsis: Long-Haul Quantum Key Distributionon September 5, 2019 at 8:11 am
Two independent studies demonstrate the practicality of twin-field quantum key distribution—a promising approach to performing quantum cryptography over long distances. Governments and corporations ...
via Bing News