Researchers develop tool for speedy diagnosis of bacterial infections
Using a small and inexpensive biosensor, researchers at UBC Okanagan, in collaboration with the University of Calgary, have built a diagnostic tool that provides health care practitioners almost instant diagnosis of a bacterial infection.
The tool is able to provide accurate and reliable results in real-time rather than the two-to-five days required for existing processes that test infections and antibiotic susceptibility.
“Advances in lab-on-a-chip microfluidic technology are allowing us to build smaller and more intricate devices that, in the medical research space, can provide more information for health care practitioners while requiring less invasive sampling from patients,” explains Mohammad Zarifi, an assistant professor at UBC Okanagan.
According to health care statistics from 2017, every hour of delay in antibiotic treatment increases mortality rates by nearly eight per cent due to infection complications in the bloodstream.
Zarifi, and his research group in the School of Engineering’s Microelectronics and Advanced Sensors Laboratory, tested their device by tracking the amount of bacteria present in a variety of samples under various scenarios. The scenarios resembled those encountered in clinical microbiological laboratories.
By sending a microwave signal through the sample, the device quickly and accurately analyzes and then generates a profile of existing bacteria.
The diagnostic tool not only provides a rapid, label-free and contactless diagnostic tool for clinical analysis but it also goes further, says Zarifi.
“The device is able to rapidly detect bacteria and in addition, it screens the interaction of that bacteria with antibiotics,” he adds. “The combined results give health care practitioners more information than they currently have available, helping them move forward to determine accurate treatments.”
This biosensor, explains Zarifi is a significant step forward in improving the complex antibiotic susceptibility testing workflow and provides a rapid and automated detection of bacteria as well as screening the bacteria proliferation in response to antibiotics.
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
via Google News
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
- Prion Disease Diagnostics Market Business Opportunities, Segmentation Analysis, Top Companies and Forecast to 2025on August 16, 2019 at 8:05 am
Furthermore, using industry leading analytical tools, the report gauges the opportunities for the prion disease diagnostics market between 2017 and 2025. Request Brochure of Prion Disease Diagnostics ...
- XYLONIX SIGNS MOU WITH BIOGEMEX TO CO-DEVELOP A PREDICTIVE CANCER IMMUNOTHERAPY TREATMENT RESPONSE DIAGNOSTICon August 15, 2019 at 10:30 pm
XYLONIX SIGNS MOU WITH BIOGEMEX TO CO-DEVELOP A PREDICTIVE CANCER IMMUNOTHERAPY TREATMENT RESPONSE DIAGNOSTIC XDX-01 ... payors are yet to find a reliable tool to ensure that the right patients ...
- Two new autism diagnostic tools offer objective ways to detect the conditionon August 15, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Another new autism diagnostic tool comes from Australian optometry researcher Paul Constable, who has been working for over a decade to identify biomarkers of autism that can be easily detected in ...
- In-Vitro Diagnostics (IVD) Market Key Reasons for the Present Growth, Demand and Upcoming Business Opportunity with Detailed Foreseen to 2023on August 14, 2019 at 3:39 am
The Data Is Collected From Different Sources Allied To The Global In-Vitro Diagnostics (IVD) And The Research Team Meticulously Analyze The Gathered Data With The Help Of Various Analytical Tools And ...
- Pajaro Valley Unified piloting high-tech assessment tool with Khan Academyon August 13, 2019 at 10:36 pm
WATSONVILLE — Pajaro Valley Unified is partnering with Khan Academy and another education nonprofit to pilot a new diagnostics tool in the classroom — aiming to harness assessment data to help ...
- Hematology Diagnostics Market Worth US$5,586.4 Million by 2026; Rise in Occurrences of Blood Disorders Stimulates the Growth: TMRon August 13, 2019 at 3:35 am
Boule Diagnostics, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics ... TMR's experienced team of analysts, researchers, and consultants use proprietary data sources and various tools and techniques to gather and analyze ...
- Answering the call for real-time plant disease diagnostics in resource-poor regionson August 13, 2019 at 2:13 am
Early warning systems are essential to preparing for and combatting plant pests, and rapid diagnostic tools are pivotal to this. However, current procedures for strain-level fungal disease diagnosis ...
- Diagnostic Antibodies Market 2026 Manufacturers, Suppliers, Export Research Report, Share, Trends, Size, and Forecaston August 12, 2019 at 5:56 am
Increasing Diagnostic Tools to Offer a Favorable Growth Environment In 2018, the National Cancer Institute stated that around 1,735,350 cases of cancer were diagnosed in the U.S. The government has ...
- Younique Launches Augmented Reality Tool to Transform the Beauty Buying Experienceon August 9, 2019 at 7:40 am
It will also serve as a diagnostic tool for each Younique Presenter in recommending the right products and product shades for their loyal customer base, thereby increasing overall consumer ...
via Bing News