Researchers develop tool for speedy diagnosis of bacterial infections
Using a small and inexpensive biosensor, researchers at UBC Okanagan, in collaboration with the University of Calgary, have built a diagnostic tool that provides health care practitioners almost instant diagnosis of a bacterial infection.
The tool is able to provide accurate and reliable results in real-time rather than the two-to-five days required for existing processes that test infections and antibiotic susceptibility.
“Advances in lab-on-a-chip microfluidic technology are allowing us to build smaller and more intricate devices that, in the medical research space, can provide more information for health care practitioners while requiring less invasive sampling from patients,” explains Mohammad Zarifi, an assistant professor at UBC Okanagan.
According to health care statistics from 2017, every hour of delay in antibiotic treatment increases mortality rates by nearly eight per cent due to infection complications in the bloodstream.
Zarifi, and his research group in the School of Engineering’s Microelectronics and Advanced Sensors Laboratory, tested their device by tracking the amount of bacteria present in a variety of samples under various scenarios. The scenarios resembled those encountered in clinical microbiological laboratories.
By sending a microwave signal through the sample, the device quickly and accurately analyzes and then generates a profile of existing bacteria.
The diagnostic tool not only provides a rapid, label-free and contactless diagnostic tool for clinical analysis but it also goes further, says Zarifi.
“The device is able to rapidly detect bacteria and in addition, it screens the interaction of that bacteria with antibiotics,” he adds. “The combined results give health care practitioners more information than they currently have available, helping them move forward to determine accurate treatments.”
This biosensor, explains Zarifi is a significant step forward in improving the complex antibiotic susceptibility testing workflow and provides a rapid and automated detection of bacteria as well as screening the bacteria proliferation in response to antibiotics.
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
via Google News
The Latest on: Diagnostic tool
- Point of Care Molecular Diagnostics Market Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities and Market Forecast 2020 to 2027on November 23, 2020 at 5:12 am
The Global Point of Care Molecular Diagnostics Market is estimated to value over USD 1.7 billion by 2027 end at ...
- Cancer Diagnostics Market: Novel Diagnostic Biomarkers Continue to Create New Revenue Stream Boost Market Growthon November 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Transparency Market Research (TMR) has published a new report titled, ‘Cancer Diagnostics Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019–2027’. According to the ...
- Automotive Diagnostic Scan Tools Market Recent Trends,Market Growth,Top Manufacturers Analysis,Business Opportunities and Demandon November 21, 2020 at 12:51 am
Global Market Insights, Inc :Growing use of diagnostic scan tools in automobiles industry owing to strict emission norms introduced by governments worldwide could stimulate global automotive ...
- New tool helps predict outcomes for COVID-19on November 20, 2020 at 9:50 am
A study published in the American Journal of Emergency Medicine this month reports on an assessment tool developed by Kaiser Permanente researchers and physicians that helps ensure patients get the ...
- PCR and Real-time PCR Molecular Diagnostics Market Driven by Advancements in Oncology Diagnostics: Fact.MRon November 20, 2020 at 1:42 am
PCR and real-time PCR molecular diagnostics service providers are investing in research towards antimicrobial resistance genes to anticipate the growing threat of antibiotic resistant microbes.
- Global Companion Animal Diagnostics Market 2020-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 18, 2020 at 7:41 am
The Companion Animal Diagnostics Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.82% during the forecast period of 2020-2026. “Companion Animal Diagnostics Market By animal Type, By Application, By Technology, By ...
- Dekel Gelbman Joins Day Zero Diagnostics as Senior Vice President of Business Development and Strategyon November 17, 2020 at 5:07 am
Day Zero Diagnostics Inc., an infectious disease diagnostics company utilizing genome sequencing and machine learning to combat the rise of antibiotic-resistant infections, today announced the ...
- Co-Diagnostics, Inc. Receives CE Markings for "ABC" and SARS-CoV-2 2-Gene Multiplex Testson November 17, 2020 at 2:30 am
We are pleased to now announce additional tools in the ongoing battle against the pandemic, especially for those regions where government or regulatory bodies recommend a multi-target coronavirus ...
- SEKISUI Diagnostics Announces Launch of the OSOM® Ultra Plus Flu A&B Test in Europeon November 16, 2020 at 11:11 pm
High performance, point-of-care rapid test for the detection of Influenza A&BBurlington, Massachusetts, Nov. 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- SEKISUI ...
via Bing News