Researchers at the University of Waterloo have developed a new system that could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs and reduce the need for costly and time-consuming laboratory tests.
The new technology called Pattern to Knowledge (P2K) can predict the binding of biosequences in seconds and potentially reduce bottlenecks in drug research.
P2K uses artificial intelligence (AI) to leverage deep knowledge from data instead of relying solely on classical machine learning.
“P2K is a game changer given its ability to reveal subtle protein associations entangled in complex physiochemical environments and powerfully predict interactions based only on sequence data,” said Andrew Wong, professor, Systems Design Engineering, and Founding Director, Centre for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (CPAMI). “The ability to access this deep knowledge from proven scientific results will shift biological research going forward. P2K has the power to transform how data could be used in the future.”
Although a large amount of biological sequence data has been collected, extracting meaningful and useful knowledge hasn’t been easy. P2K algorithms tackle this challenge by disentangling multiple associations to identify and predict amino acid bindings that govern protein interactions. Since P2K is much faster than existing biosequence analysis software with almost 30 per cent better prediction accuracy, it could significantly speed up the discovery of new drugs. By drawing information from databases in the Cloud, P2K could predict how tumour proteins and potential cancer treatments would interact.
Although still in the early prototype stage, Professor Wong and his team have made the online P2K system available publicly to researchers to start identifying new bio-sequence interactions.
“Putting this AI technology in the hands of biomedical researchers will generate immediate results, which could be used for future scientific discoveries,” said Antonio Sze-To, research associate, Systems Design Engineering, and co-inventor of P2K.
Since it analyzes sequential data, the applicability of P2K isn’t limited to biomedical research. P2K could benefit the financial industry by making useful associations and predictions for smart trading or the cybersecurity sector by predicting the likelihood of a potential cyber attack.
The Latest on: Drug discovery
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug discovery
- Drug investigation leads to discovery of cockfighting pit, deputies say on April 17, 2019 at 2:14 pm
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - Detectives executing a search warrant at a residence in Orange City uncovered a cockfighting breeding and training pit, according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. ... […]
- Center for Experimental Therapeutics aims to enable all steps of drug development on April 17, 2019 at 9:36 am
“Existing programs currently cover only portions of this pipeline. In contrast, the center will provide an integrated infrastructure for drug discovery and development. It also provides tremendous ... […]
- AI for drug discovery will be driven by biopharma and the rise of Asian tigers, says Insilico CEO on April 17, 2019 at 6:09 am
China-based pharmaceutical companies betting big and small biopharma able to quickly innovate will drive the use of AI for drug discovery – a market some analysts predict will reach a valuation of ... […]
- Drug Discovery Services Market Dynamics: Growth Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities, Forecast 2023 on April 17, 2019 at 4:22 am
Drug Discovery Services refer to as the outsourcing the process of development of a new medicine. These services minimize the costs and timelines of drug discovery. The most common methods employed ... […]
- Cerevance gains a new drug discovery chief as another AstraZeneca exec jumps ship on April 16, 2019 at 8:35 am
Roland Bürli, Ph.D., who headed up neuroscience medicinal chemistry at AstraZeneca, has left the British drugmaker for greener pastures. He joins Cerevance as vice president of drug discovery as the ... […]
- RNA Therapeutics Startup Panorama Medicine Raises $3.7 Million to Accelerate Drug Discovery Using Genomics and Artificial Intelligence on April 16, 2019 at 5:36 am
PHILADELPHIA, April 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Panorama Medicine ("Panorama"), a genomics and computing powered drug discovery company focusing on RNA therapeutics, has raised a $3.7 million seed ... […]
- In a test for AI, a buzzy machine learning startup inks drug discovery deal with Gilead on April 16, 2019 at 4:14 am
SAN FRANCISCO — It took only a single, one-hour meeting in a Starbucks to convince venture capitalist Robert Nelsen that he was going to invest in the company being built by machine-learning whiz ... […]
- Global Drug Discovery Informatics Market Current and Upcoming Trends in 2019-2026 – North America Accounts Largest Market Share on April 15, 2019 at 4:30 am
Drug discovery informatics is a complex system that requires the generation of extensive information, and data. Medical scientists create enormous amounts of data when researching specific diseases ... […]
- Drug Discovery Services Market Share, Types of Services by Need, Latest Equipments, Process and Business Outlook 2018-2023 on April 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Apr 15, 2019 (AB Digital via COMTEX) -- Global Drug Discovery Services Market is growing at a rapid pace; mainly due to the burgeoning healthcare sector.This market is projected to grow at a strong ... […]
via Bing News