Researchers at the University of New Hampshire have created an easy-to-make, low-cost injectable hydrogel that could help wounds heal faster, especially for patients with compromised health issues.
Wound healing can be complex and challenging, especially when a patient has other health obstacles that seriously impede the process. Often injectable hydrogels are applied to irregular shaped wounds, like diabetic ulcers, to help form a temporary matrix, or structure, to keep the wound stable while cells rejuvenate. The caveat is that current hydrogels are not porous enough and do not allow neighboring cells to pass through toward the wound to help it mend.
“While valuable for helping patients, current hydrogels have limited clinical efficacy,” said Kyung Jae Jeong, assistant professor of chemical engineering at UNH. “We discovered a simple solution to make the hydrogels more porous and therefore help to speed up the healing.”
In the study, recently published in the journal of ACS Applied Bio Materials, the researchers outline how they made a macroporous hydrogel by combining readily available gelatin microgels – hydrogels that are a few hundred microns in diameter – with an inexpensive enzyme called microbial transglutaminase (mTG). Gelatin was used because it is a natural protein derived from collagen, a protein found in connective tissue in the body such as skin. Assembling these tiny microgels with mTG helped create a hydrogel with large enough pores for the neighboring cells to move into the wound for repair. In addition, this new injectable formulation allows for the slow release of protein drugs to aid wound healing, such as platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF). The researchers compared conventional nonporous hydrogels with the new macroporous hydrogels, and found a notable increase in the migration of tissue cells inside the hydrogel, which is the hallmark of wound healing.
Along with diabetic ulcers, the macroporous hydrogel could help with other forms of healing on the skin, cornea, internal organs during surgery and even has military implications.
The Latest on: Injectable hydrogel
via Google News
The Latest on: Injectable hydrogel
- Temperature-Responsive Supramolecular Hydrogels by Ternary Complex Formation with Subsequent Photo-Cross-linking to Alter Network Dynamicson November 27, 2019 at 8:22 am
Hydrogels composed of micelles cross-linked by both supramolecular and photo-dimerized interactions support the injection and encapsulation of cells and enable inclusion and release of macromolecular ...
- 'Botched' Doctors Refuse To Amputate This Twerker's Messed Up Button November 26, 2019 at 11:44 pm
After all the injections came to an end (bad pun), she had hydrogel injected into her buttocks a total of six times. Dr. Dubrow explained that "Hydrogel is a synthetic polymer, called polyacrylamide.
- 5 Proven Ways to Glowing Skin This Holiday Seasonon November 26, 2019 at 7:30 am
Five recommended hyaluronic acid fillers include Restylane, a clear, injectable gel that offers immediate results; Restylane Lyft, a gel with larger gel particles to tackle deeper skin wrinkles; ...
- BRIEF-Mallinckrodt - Data On Acthar Gel Therapy In Symptomatic Sarcoidosis Published In Therapeutic Advances In Respiratory Diseaseon November 26, 2019 at 4:19 am
Nov 26 (Reuters) - Mallinckrodt Plc: * MALLINCKRODT - DATA ON ACTHAR GEL (REPOSITORY CORTICOTROPIN INJECTION) THERAPY IN SYMPTOMATIC SARCOIDOSIS PUBLISHED IN THERAPEUTIC ADVANCES IN RESPIRATORY ...
- Model may need to have 59 inch backside amputated after illegal injectionson November 26, 2019 at 3:03 am
Dr Dubrow explained: ‘Hydrogel is a synthetic polymer, called polyacrylamide ... Other women who undergo illegal butt injections suffer more serious health complaints, with many women unable to sleep ...
- Data on Acthar® Gel (Repository Corticotropin Injection) Therapy in Symptomatic Sarcoidosis Published in Therapeutic Advances in Respiratory Diseaseon November 26, 2019 at 2:45 am
STAINES-UPON-THAMES, United Kingdom, Nov. 26, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Mallinckrodt plc (NYSE: MNK), a global biopharmaceutical company, today announced findings from a large retrospective study of Acthar ...
- Extravascular gelation shrinkage-derived internal stress enables tumor starvation therapy with suppressed metastasis and recurrenceon November 26, 2019 at 2:13 am
To verify it, another special injection approach was employed in the experimental group. In detail, GNRs alone and hydrogel–GNR were accordingly injected into PANC-1 tumor and its surrounding ...
- "Botched" Drs. Take on Butt Injections Gone Wrongon November 25, 2019 at 7:00 am
A woman wants the "Botched" doctors to decrease her gigantic derriere that's filled with hydro gel and is causing discoloration & hard areas. Watch! celebrity gossip. Check out the hottest fashion, ...
- Woman with 'Hard' Butt Injections Ready to Have Them Removed to Avoid 'Serious Disasters'on November 25, 2019 at 6:57 am
What did you have injected into your butt?” “The lady who injected me told me it was hydrogel,” replied Barnes. Noting why the type of injectable could cause problems, Dubrow explained that hydrogel ...
via Bing News