A first-ever vaccine designed to deliver a one-two-three punch against the main causes of traveller’s diarrhea worldwide may result from new research published by a University of Guelph chemist.
Prof. Mario Monteiro says his novel three-in-one approach to developing a new vaccine could also save lives in developing countries, where it’s estimated that these three common pathogens kill more than 100,000 children under age five each year.
His research was recently published in the journal Vaccine.
The paper discusses Monteiro’s so-called conjugate vaccine that yokes together proteins from pathogenic E. coli with sugars from Shigella and Campylobacter jejuni. All three bugs are major causes of bacterial diarrhea globally.
In tests with mice, the vaccine provided immunity against all three pathogens.
No licensed vaccines exist against any of these pathogens. A sugar-based vaccine developed by Monteiro in 2009 against campylobacter alone is currently undergoing human trials but is still an estimated decade away from potential release.
He said this new three-in-one approach may ultimately overtake that earlier single-target vaccine, although any new vaccine may take decades to test and release. “We’re targeting three pathogens at the same time,” he said. “Instead of three shots, maybe you only need one.”
As with the earlier campylobacter vaccine, this new method has been patented by U of G and the United States Naval Medical Research Center, which funded the research.
Monteiro said further research is needed to determine the optimum amounts of protein and sugars in the vaccine and to make the vaccine more efficient.
The Latest on: Traveller’s diarrhea
via Google News
The Latest on: Traveller’s diarrhea
- Travel medicine planning often skips contraceptionon October 28, 2019 at 7:40 am
“We routinely recommend travelers carry self-treatment for travelers’ diarrhea, for example, but do not routinely recommend that women carry self-treatment for urinary tract or yeast infections, both ...
- State Department issues travel warning for the Stern Hall Province of Stanford Universityon October 27, 2019 at 5:31 pm
Due to the recent outbreak of norovirus in the remote parts of the east campus, the U.S. Department of State strongly encourages travelers to avoid the area. Dr. Ian Michael Smart of the Center for ...
- RedHill Biopharma Announces $36 Million Strategic Investment by Cosmo Pharmaceuticals and U.S. Rights to Approved Travelers’ Diarrhea Drug AEMCOLOon October 18, 2019 at 3:00 am
Aemcolo ® (rifamycin), containing 194mg of rifamycin as delayed-release tablets, is a minimally absorbed antibiotic that is delivered to the colon, approved by the FDA in 2018 for the treatment of ...
- Girl, 2, falls ill and dies days after Jet2 holiday at ‘disgusting’ four-star Turkey hotel where ‘faeces left in swimming pool’on October 8, 2019 at 6:14 am
Her mum, Katie Dawson, told how all members of the family suffered from gastric symptoms including stomach cramps and diarrhoea after flying out for their 10-day stay on July 12. Katie said they had ...
- Immuron Receives $3.7M In Federal Dollars For Traveler's Diarrhea Preventative Therapy Projecton October 2, 2019 at 7:03 am
The Australian biotech said it has reached an agreement with the U.S. Naval Medical Research Center, or NMRC, to collaborate on the manufacturing and evaluation of a new product designed to protect ...
- Traveler’s Diarrhea Therapeutics Market 2019 Global Recent Trends, Competitive Landscape, Size and Industry Growth by Forecast to 2029on September 30, 2019 at 1:20 am
New York, NY, Sept 30, 2019 (WiredRelease): The report on ‘Modest recovery in emerging Global Traveler’s Diarrhea Therapeutics Market‘ with in-depth focused approach on subjective research, describing ...
- International Travelers Diarrhea Treatment Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis And Technological Advancements | Otsuka Pharma, Valneva, Immuronon September 30, 2019 at 1:20 am
New York, NY, Sept 30, 2019 (WiredRelease): The report on ‘Modest recovery in emerging Global Traveler‚’s Diarrhea Treatment Market‘ with in-depth focused approach on subjective research, describing ...
- Global Drugs for Travelers Diarrhea Market 2019 – GSK, Salix Pharmaceuticals, Chiesi Farmaceuticion August 8, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Aug 09, 2019 (Eon Market Research via COMTEX) -- The Global Drugs for Travelers Diarrhea Market 2019 Industry Trends and Forecasts to 2026 is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of ...
- Traveler's Diarrhea - Global Market Insights, Epidemiology and Forecast to 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm
The "Traveler's Diarrhea - Market Insights, Epidemiology and Market Forecast - 2028" drug pipelines has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report delivers an in-depth understanding ...
via Bing News