Serendipitous discovery could increase efficiency in jet engines, reduce plane noise, more
A group of new smart materials discovered by researchers at Texas A&M University and their colleagues has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency of fuel burn in jet engines, cutting the cost of flying. The materials, which could also reduce airplane noise over residential areas, have additional applications in a variety of other industries.
“What excites me is that we have just scratched the surface of something new that could not only open a completely new field of scientific research, but also enable new technologies,” said Dr. Ibrahim Karaman, Chevron Professor I and head of the university’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
The work was published in Scripta Materialia. Karaman’s co-authors are Demircan Canadinc, William Trehern, and Ji Ma of Texas A&M, and Fanping Sun and Zaffir Chaudhry, Technical Fellow of the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC).
The discovery is based on bringing together two relatively new areas of materials science involving metal alloys, or metals composed of two or more elements. The first area involves shape-memory alloys, “smart” materials that can switch from one shape to another with specific triggers, in this case temperature. Picture a straight metal rod that is bent into a corkscrew. By changing the temperature, the corkscrew turns back into a rod and vice versa.
The Latest on: Smart materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart materials
- Smart Grid T&D Equipment Market size Emerging Growth by Top Players ABB GE Alstom Grid on February 19, 2019 at 7:48 am
The process of Smart Grid T&D Equipment Industry is analyzed thoroughly with respect three points, viz. raw material and equipment suppliers, various manufacturing associated costs (material cost, lab... […]
- Cirrus Logic Introduces Industry's Smallest, Low-Power Boosted Smart Audio Amplifier to Support on February 19, 2019 at 7:10 am
This material may not be published ... and gaming on smartphones just got better with a boost from Cirrus Logic's (NASDAQ: CRUS) latest boosted smart audio amplifier. The Cirrus Logic CS35L41 smart po... […]
- Smart Fashion – Growing Popularity and Emerging Trends in the Market | Nike, OmSignal, Owlet Baby Care on February 19, 2019 at 2:37 am
Applications of Smart Fashion, Market Segment by Regions; Chapter 2, to analyze the Manufacturing Cost Structure, Raw Material and Suppliers, Manufacturing Process, Industry Chain Structure; Chapter 3 ... […]
- Global Smart Manufacturing Market is Register CAGR 15.75% Growth during 2018-2023 on February 19, 2019 at 2:34 am
smart factory, and industrial Internet of Things [IIoT]) - historical (2015-2017) and forecasted (2018-2023) market size (USD Bn), and key market observations 2.8. Market segmentation based on end use... […]
- Smart droplets clean and repair surfaces on February 19, 2019 at 1:11 am
One of the latest advances in the area of fluid-driven nanoparticle transportation, reported in Advanced Functional Materials ("Simultaneous 'Clean-and-Repair' of Surfaces Using Smart Droplets"), is a ... […]
- Nigeria: INEC Begins Reconfiguration of Smart Card Readers on February 18, 2019 at 10:51 pm
Prior to the postponement of the elections, election materials like smart card reader that have been deployed to various states were already configured for use on the day of the election. […]
- Shaka Smart's message: 'Go create the season you want' on February 18, 2019 at 6:59 pm
This material may not be published ... ESPN bracketology ranks Texas as an 8-seed and CBS has the Longhorns at a 10-seed. Coach Shaka Smart knows this is the time to make or break those projections. A... […]
- HealthWatch: Smart Clothing to Prevent Back Pain on February 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm
(Source: Karl Zelik, PhD) NEW TECHNOLOGY: Vanderbilt University’s news website described the smart clothing this way: “the device consists of two fabric sections, made of nylon canvas, Lycra, polyeste... […]
- Smart Manufacturing Market report just published on February 18, 2019 at 4:00 am
The chemicals and materials, food and agriculture, and healthcare sectors are also some of the promising areas for the implementation of smart manufacturing technologies. North America is leading the ... […]
- Smart Factory Market Size Driving Factors, Industry Growth, Key Vendors and Forecasts to 2023 on February 18, 2019 at 12:12 am
Smart Factory is the advanced factory that has cyber-physical systems where materials can be moved efficiently across the factory floor. This advanced system has integrated computing codes that provid... […]
via Bing News