Serendipitous discovery could increase efficiency in jet engines, reduce plane noise, more
A group of new smart materials discovered by researchers at Texas A&M University and their colleagues has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency of fuel burn in jet engines, cutting the cost of flying. The materials, which could also reduce airplane noise over residential areas, have additional applications in a variety of other industries.
“What excites me is that we have just scratched the surface of something new that could not only open a completely new field of scientific research, but also enable new technologies,” said Dr. Ibrahim Karaman, Chevron Professor I and head of the university’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
The work was published in Scripta Materialia. Karaman’s co-authors are Demircan Canadinc, William Trehern, and Ji Ma of Texas A&M, and Fanping Sun and Zaffir Chaudhry, Technical Fellow of the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC).
The discovery is based on bringing together two relatively new areas of materials science involving metal alloys, or metals composed of two or more elements. The first area involves shape-memory alloys, “smart” materials that can switch from one shape to another with specific triggers, in this case temperature. Picture a straight metal rod that is bent into a corkscrew. By changing the temperature, the corkscrew turns back into a rod and vice versa.
Receive an email update when we add a new SMART MATERIALS article.
The Latest on: Smart materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart materials
- Enhance traditional security systems within your smart home on November 13, 2018 at 8:36 am
Smart home adjacencies have helped revitalise the traditional ... Furthermore, understanding the products, components and proper wiring can save you money in labour and materials. Today we will look a... […]
- INTAMSYS Releases Its FUNMAT PRO 410 to Provide Smart Multiple Functional Materials 3D Printing All-in-one Solutions on November 12, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Today, during Formnext 2018 in Frankfurt in Germany, INTAMSYS has released their FUNMAT PRO 410 3D printer. This printer features smarter design and is multiple functional materials 3D printing ... […]
- Smart Contracts Sweet Spots: What Does This Mean For Electricity Distribution Dontracts? (Blockchain Report Excerpt) on November 11, 2018 at 2:21 am
(Read the last installment here.) Electrical utilities which own the generation and distribution network will love smart contracts. They get all of the advantages while purchasers get most of the ... […]
- Automotive Smart Materials Market Sales Strategy, Revenue Generation, Key Players and Forecast to 2025 on November 9, 2018 at 7:08 pm
This report studies the global Automotive Smart Materials Market status and forecast, categorizes the global market size (value & volume) by key players, type, application, and region. This report foc... […]
- Automotive Smart Materials Market - Industrial Revolution & New Challenges in the Automotive Industry on November 8, 2018 at 10:53 am
Smart materials, called also intelligent or responsive materials,are designed materials that have one or more properties that can be significantly changed in a controlled fashion by external stimuli, ... […]
- Smart Card Materials Market Worth $1.29 Billion By 2025 | CAGR: 3.7%: Grand View Research, Inc. on November 7, 2018 at 5:47 am
The global smart card materials market size is expected to reach USD 1.29 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., progressing at a CAGR of 3.7% during the forecast per... […]
- Insight into Smart Glasses’ Utilization in Warehouse and Distribution Centers on November 6, 2018 at 12:37 pm
Just where is all this futuristic tech, we may wonder? In the warehousing world, a similar dynamic is at play with smart glasses. We’ve heard about vision-picking pilots that use smart glasses, but re... […]
- Smart Antimicrobial Coatings and Surfaces Market report with data on global, regional and country wise data break up illuminated by new report on November 5, 2018 at 9:36 pm
Traders and Dealers and top vendors / manufactures / companies profile An antimicrobial surface contains an antimicrobial agent that inhibits the ability of microorganisms to grow on the surface of a ... […]
- Smart Mattress Market Manufacturing Cost Analysis, Key Raw Materials, Price Trend, Industrial Chain Analysis by 2023 on November 4, 2018 at 11:54 am
The Global Smart Mattress Market Research Report Forecast 2018-2023 is a valuable source of insightful data for business strategists. It provides the Smart Mattress industry overview with growth analy... […]
via Bing News