Serendipitous discovery could increase efficiency in jet engines, reduce plane noise, more
A group of new smart materials discovered by researchers at Texas A&M University and their colleagues has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency of fuel burn in jet engines, cutting the cost of flying. The materials, which could also reduce airplane noise over residential areas, have additional applications in a variety of other industries.
“What excites me is that we have just scratched the surface of something new that could not only open a completely new field of scientific research, but also enable new technologies,” said Dr. Ibrahim Karaman, Chevron Professor I and head of the university’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
The work was published in Scripta Materialia. Karaman’s co-authors are Demircan Canadinc, William Trehern, and Ji Ma of Texas A&M, and Fanping Sun and Zaffir Chaudhry, Technical Fellow of the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC).
The discovery is based on bringing together two relatively new areas of materials science involving metal alloys, or metals composed of two or more elements. The first area involves shape-memory alloys, “smart” materials that can switch from one shape to another with specific triggers, in this case temperature. Picture a straight metal rod that is bent into a corkscrew. By changing the temperature, the corkscrew turns back into a rod and vice versa.
The Latest on: Smart materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart materials
- Silver nanowires promise more comfortable smart textiles on December 27, 2018 at 8:32 am
Smart textiles with electronic devices such as sensor ... have become a new type of fundamental materials for conductive fibers. Great efforts have been made to engineer conductive nanomaterials into ... […]
- Researchers convert waste into construction materials on December 27, 2018 at 7:16 am
Researchers at the University of New South Wales in Sydney have found a way to transform used clothing and waste glass into construction materials. The new materials exhibit high levels of flexibility ... […]
- Is Smart Technology Making Us Dumb? on December 27, 2018 at 4:41 am
But note that for the most part, they feed on different raw materials. They don’t get smart by consuming the same materials that we’re fed. They gain actionable intelligence by collecting ... […]
- Smart Material Market 2018 Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Key Developments, Opportunities, Forecast To 2023 on December 24, 2018 at 9:30 am
Smart Material market research report provides the newest industry data and industry future trends, allowing you to identify the products and end users driving Revenue growth and profitability. The in... […]
- Smart Window Materials Market – Detailed industry report live covering players like Kinestral Technologies, Gentex, SageGlass, Saint Gobain, View on December 24, 2018 at 5:38 am
Global Smart Window Materials Market elaborates the complete details covering product definition, product type, key companies, and application. The report covers useful details which are categorized b... […]
- Global Smart Card Materials Market Estimated With Top Key Players And Huge Growth Forecast 2018-2027 on December 23, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Global Smart Card Materials Market Status and Outlook 2018-2027 delivers extensive analysis of market trends and shares. This report provides key measures to industries/clients to give them ... […]
- Bacterial protein can hunt and collect smartphone materials on December 20, 2018 at 5:27 am
A newly discovered protein could help detect, target, and collect the rare-earth metals used in smartphones, report researchers. Two new studies describe the protein, which is 100 million times better ... […]
- iPhone XS Smart Battery Case spotted in Apple promo material on December 18, 2018 at 4:12 pm
New power pack case edges closer to release. Apple’s plans for a power–boosting Smart Battery Case for its iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max now seem locked in, after eagle–eyed tech watchers spotted images ... […]
- Researcher's ‘smart silicone’ reacts to heat & light on December 17, 2018 at 1:47 pm
The work Andreas has done to make these materials “smart” by functionalising them creates new high value opportunities.” Dr Zeller says, “The KiwiNet Emerging Innovator Programme has been invaluable a... […]
- Global Nanoscale Smart Materials Market Supply, Sales, Revenue and Forecast from 2018 to 2025 on December 16, 2018 at 12:05 pm
Global Nanoscale Smart Materials Market Research Report 2018 contains historic data that spans 2013 to 2017, and then continues to forecast to 2025. That makes this report so invaluable, resources ... […]
via Bing News