Serendipitous discovery could increase efficiency in jet engines, reduce plane noise, more
A group of new smart materials discovered by researchers at Texas A&M University and their colleagues has the potential to significantly improve the efficiency of fuel burn in jet engines, cutting the cost of flying. The materials, which could also reduce airplane noise over residential areas, have additional applications in a variety of other industries.
“What excites me is that we have just scratched the surface of something new that could not only open a completely new field of scientific research, but also enable new technologies,” said Dr. Ibrahim Karaman, Chevron Professor I and head of the university’s Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
The work was published in Scripta Materialia. Karaman’s co-authors are Demircan Canadinc, William Trehern, and Ji Ma of Texas A&M, and Fanping Sun and Zaffir Chaudhry, Technical Fellow of the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC).
The discovery is based on bringing together two relatively new areas of materials science involving metal alloys, or metals composed of two or more elements. The first area involves shape-memory alloys, “smart” materials that can switch from one shape to another with specific triggers, in this case temperature. Picture a straight metal rod that is bent into a corkscrew. By changing the temperature, the corkscrew turns back into a rod and vice versa.
The Latest on: Smart materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart materials
- Father of kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart comes out as gayon August 16, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Ed Smart, 64, has been in the limelight since he frequently went ... Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed ...
- Samsung & Marvel Team Up For Galaxy Note 10 Smart Coverson August 16, 2019 at 1:24 pm
With the Galaxy S10 Marvel Smart Covers, the cases were shells made from a slick plastic. The Galaxy Note 10 covers however, seem to be made of a ruggedized, hard composite material. Not only that but ...
- Why Smart Solar Technology Market fastest growth segment should surprise us?on August 16, 2019 at 11:19 am
The report firstly introduced the Smart Solar Technology Market basics: definitions, classifications, applications and market overview; product specifications; manufacturing processes; cost structures ...
- Expanded ion beams light new way for next-generation electronic devices, energy storage, smart homeson August 16, 2019 at 4:10 am
"This opens the door for the creation of next-generation electronic, energy and other smart devices ... "We are building this unique approach to materials preparation to create the future ...
- Global Nanoscale Smart Materials Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis And Technological Advancements: Graphene Supermarket, 2D Semiconductor and Acs Materialon August 16, 2019 at 2:36 am
(MENAFN - QYresearch.us) The market report, titled ‘Global Nanoscale Smart Materials Market Research Report 2019 – By Manufacturers, Product Type, Applications, Region and Forecast to 2025 ...
- The world’s first-ever, ultra high-tech 'smart mini-city' is coming to Las Vegas — and building it will cost about $7.5 billionon August 15, 2019 at 10:19 am
The $7.5 billion real estate project is expected to break ground in December and will take about six years to complete.
- Two Harvard University Graduates Rethinking The Engineering Of Women's Footwear Through Smart Designon August 15, 2019 at 7:07 am
Inspired by the crispness and dash of American style and informed by smart design, each silhouette in our collection ... Our shoes are made in Spain with luxury materials alongside footwear from some ...
- Which smart home upgrades raise your home’s value?on August 15, 2019 at 5:00 am
Smart home technology is supposed to make life ... If the homeowner is renovating for herself, she might be more likely to choose colors, materials and technological embellishments that she ...
- Is It Smart To Buy Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE:VMC) Before It Goes Ex-Dividend?on August 15, 2019 at 4:06 am
Regular readers will know that we love our dividends at Simply Wall St, which is why it's exciting to see Vulcan Materials Company (NYSE:VMC) is about to trade ex-dividend in the next 4 days.
- Smart Strategies of Pure Polyurea Material Market by 2029 Focusing on Key Players || PPG Industries, Versaflex and SPIon August 15, 2019 at 12:45 am
Aug 15, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Market.us Leading Research Firm has added the latest report on “Global Pure Polyurea Material Market” divides the market industry according to the ...
via Bing News