Researchers in Japan have found a way to create innovative materials by blending metals with precision control. Their approach, based on a concept called atom hybridization, opens up an unexplored area of chemistry that could lead to the development of advanced functional materials.
Multimetallic clusters — typically composed of three or more metals — are garnering attention as they exhibit properties that cannot be attained by single-metal materials. If a variety of metal elements are freely blended, it is expected that as-yet-unknown substances are discovered and highly-functional materials are developed. So far, no one had reported the multimetallic clusters blended with more than four metal elements so far because of unfavorable separation of different metals. One idea to overcome this difficulty is miniaturization of cluster sizes to one-nanometer scale, which forces the different metals to be blended in a small space. However, there was no way to realize this idea.
A team, including Takamasa Tsukamoto, Takane Imaoka, Kimihisa Yamamoto and colleagues, has developed an atom hybridization method, which has realized the first-ever synthesis of multimetallic clusters consisting of more than five metal elements with precise control of size and composition. This method employs a dendrimer template that serves as a tiny “scaffold” to enable controlled accumulation of metal salts. After precise uptake of the different metals into the dendrimer, multimetallic clusters are obtained by chemical reduction. (See Figure 1.) In contrast, a conventional method without the dendrimer yields enlargement of cluster sizes and separation of different metals. (See Figure 2.)
The team successfully demonstrated the formation of five-element clusters composed of gallium (Ga), indium (In), gold (Au), bismuth (Bi) and tin (Sn), as well as iron (Fe), palladium (Pd), rhodium (Rh), antimony (Sb) and copper (Cu), and a six-element cluster consisting of Ga, In, Au, Bi, Sn and platinum (Pt). Additionally, they hint at the possibility of making clusters composed of eight metals or more.
This atom hybridization method using the dendrimer template can synthesize ultrasmall multimetallic clusters with precise control of size and composition. There are more than 90 metals in the periodic table. With infinite combinations of metal elements, atomicity and composition, this method will open up a new field in chemistry on a one-nanometer scale. The current study marks a major step forward in creating such as-yet-unknown innovative materials.
The Latest on: Advanced materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Advanced materials
- Automotive Ceramics Market Cost Analysis, Strategy and Growth Factor Report 2019| CoorsTek Inc., Kyocera Corporation, Morgan Advanced Materials PLCon February 27, 2020 at 2:19 am
Companies considered and profiled in this market study CoorsTek Inc., Kyocera Corporation, Morgan Advanced Materials PLC, Saint-Gobain Ceramic Materials, Ibiden Co. Ltd., Ceradyne, Momentive ...
- DSM to Expand Investments in High Performance Materials in North Americaon February 26, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Royal DSM (dsm.com), a global science-based company active in Nutrition, Health and Sustainable Living, today announces it is futureproofing and expanding the capacity of its high-performance ...
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc (RYAM) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcripton February 26, 2020 at 9:30 am
Good morning and welcome to the Rayonier Advanced Materials Fourth Quarter 2019 Earnings Conference Call. During today's presentation, all parties will be in a listen-only mode. Following the ...
- Market Map: 40+ Companies Shaping The Future Of Advanced Materialson February 26, 2020 at 6:16 am
From 3D printing metals to producing self-healing polymers, these companies are driving innovation in advanced materials. Advanced materials like graphene and biopolymers could transform our world ...
- The global fire protection materials market size is estimated to grow from USD 2.7 billion in 2019 to USD 4.0 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of 8.5%on February 26, 2020 at 3:57 am
Increasing demand for passive fire protection system is expected to drive the global market. The global fire protection materials market size is estimated to grow from USD 2.
- Rayonier Advanced Materials: 4Q Earnings Snapshoton February 26, 2020 at 2:32 am
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) _ Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. (RYAM) on Tuesday reported fourth-quarter profit of $29 million. The Jacksonville, Florida-based company said it had net income of 45 cents ...
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Announces Fourth Quarter and 2019 Results and Continuing Actions to Re-Position the Company in 2020on February 25, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Fourth Quarter and 2019 Results Fourth quarter and full year 2019 loss from continuing operations of $57 million and $119 million due primarily to extremely weak ...
- Veloxint Selected for Department of Energy Grant to Accelerate Innovation in the Manufacture of Advanced Nanocrystalline Metal Alloyson February 25, 2020 at 4:56 pm
has selected Veloxint Corporation for a 3-year grant under the category of Innovations for the Manufacture of Advanced Materials. The project will bring together a world class ...
- Aerospace Materials Market to Witness Massive Growth by 2020-2026 : Aleris, Sofitec, Thyssenkrupp Aerospaceon February 25, 2020 at 11:36 am
Tata Advanced Materials, Renegade Materials, LEE Aerospace, SGL Group, Kaiser Aluminum, etc. If you are part of this market, then Get to Know how you are perceived in comparison to your competitors ...
via Bing News