Researchers in Japan have found a way to create innovative materials by blending metals with precision control. Their approach, based on a concept called atom hybridization, opens up an unexplored area of chemistry that could lead to the development of advanced functional materials.
Multimetallic clusters — typically composed of three or more metals — are garnering attention as they exhibit properties that cannot be attained by single-metal materials. If a variety of metal elements are freely blended, it is expected that as-yet-unknown substances are discovered and highly-functional materials are developed. So far, no one had reported the multimetallic clusters blended with more than four metal elements so far because of unfavorable separation of different metals. One idea to overcome this difficulty is miniaturization of cluster sizes to one-nanometer scale, which forces the different metals to be blended in a small space. However, there was no way to realize this idea.
A team, including Takamasa Tsukamoto, Takane Imaoka, Kimihisa Yamamoto and colleagues, has developed an atom hybridization method, which has realized the first-ever synthesis of multimetallic clusters consisting of more than five metal elements with precise control of size and composition. This method employs a dendrimer template that serves as a tiny “scaffold” to enable controlled accumulation of metal salts. After precise uptake of the different metals into the dendrimer, multimetallic clusters are obtained by chemical reduction. (See Figure 1.) In contrast, a conventional method without the dendrimer yields enlargement of cluster sizes and separation of different metals. (See Figure 2.)
The team successfully demonstrated the formation of five-element clusters composed of gallium (Ga), indium (In), gold (Au), bismuth (Bi) and tin (Sn), as well as iron (Fe), palladium (Pd), rhodium (Rh), antimony (Sb) and copper (Cu), and a six-element cluster consisting of Ga, In, Au, Bi, Sn and platinum (Pt). Additionally, they hint at the possibility of making clusters composed of eight metals or more.
This atom hybridization method using the dendrimer template can synthesize ultrasmall multimetallic clusters with precise control of size and composition. There are more than 90 metals in the periodic table. With infinite combinations of metal elements, atomicity and composition, this method will open up a new field in chemistry on a one-nanometer scale. The current study marks a major step forward in creating such as-yet-unknown innovative materials.
The Latest on: Advanced materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Advanced materials
- Thorium Fuel Cycle Industry Report 2020: Emerging Opportunities, Material & Technology Types, Advanced Materials, Recent Advanceson January 20, 2020 at 4:30 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Thorium Fuel Cycle: Emerging Opportunities" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report is one in a series ...
- Global Generation IV Reactors and Advanced Materials Industry Report 2020 - LFR, MSR, SFR, VHTR, GFR and SWCR Market Forecasts to 2030on January 20, 2020 at 3:00 am
/PRNewswire/ -- The "Generation IV Reactors and Advanced Materials: Emerging Opportunities" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This ...
- Advanced Driver Assistance System Market 2020 Global Analysis, Industry Demand, Trends, Size, Opportunities, Forecast 2025on January 20, 2020 at 1:38 am
Advanced Driver Assistance System Market growth will be driven by rising adoption by leading automotive OEMs to maintain their strong foothold in the industry on account of the ground-breaking ...
- Generation IV Reactors and Advanced Materials: Emerging Opportunitieson January 20, 2020 at 12:43 am
Report Includes: - An overview of emerging market and opportunities for generation IV reactors. - Discussion on the emerging opportunities from the development of generation IV (Gen IV) nuclear ...
- The Prominent Industry Players in the Graphene Market: ACS Materials LLC, Haydale Limited, Advanced Graphene Products, Applied Nanotechon January 17, 2020 at 4:54 am
These exhaustive reports are designed via a proprietary research methodology and are available for key industries such as chemicals, advanced materials, technology, renewable energy and biotechnology.
- New future for Alberta bitumen in advanced materialson January 15, 2020 at 6:07 pm
Alberta Innovates is launching a major new clean technology initiative called the Carbon Fibre Grand Challenge, a $15-million international competition to accelerate development of carbon fibre from ...
- Marine Grease Market in Chemicals & Advanced Materials sector To Grow At a CAGR of 4.53% During The Period 2020-2023on January 14, 2020 at 10:21 am
Marine Grease Industry 2020 Global Market research report provides key analysis on the market status of the Marine Grease manufacturers with market size, growth, share, trends as well as industry cost ...
- BRIEF-Avalon Advanced Materials Says There Exists Uncertainty As To Co's Ability To Raise Additional Funds On Favorable Termson January 13, 2020 at 9:43 am
Avalon Advanced Materials Inc: * AVALON ADVANCED MATERIALS SAYS THERE EXISTS UNCERTAINTY AS TO CO'S ABILITY TO RAISE ADDITIONAL FUNDS ON FAVORABLE TERMS - SEC FILING * AVALON ADVANCED MATERIALS - ...
- Morgan Advanced Materials plc (LON:MGAM) Delivered A Better ROE Than Its Industryon January 13, 2020 at 2:20 am
Many investors are still learning about the various metrics that can be useful when analysing a stock. This article is for those who would like to learn about Return On Equity (ROE). To keep the ...
via Bing News