Researchers in Japan have found a way to create innovative materials by blending metals with precision control. Their approach, based on a concept called atom hybridization, opens up an unexplored area of chemistry that could lead to the development of advanced functional materials.
Multimetallic clusters — typically composed of three or more metals — are garnering attention as they exhibit properties that cannot be attained by single-metal materials. If a variety of metal elements are freely blended, it is expected that as-yet-unknown substances are discovered and highly-functional materials are developed. So far, no one had reported the multimetallic clusters blended with more than four metal elements so far because of unfavorable separation of different metals. One idea to overcome this difficulty is miniaturization of cluster sizes to one-nanometer scale, which forces the different metals to be blended in a small space. However, there was no way to realize this idea.
A team, including Takamasa Tsukamoto, Takane Imaoka, Kimihisa Yamamoto and colleagues, has developed an atom hybridization method, which has realized the first-ever synthesis of multimetallic clusters consisting of more than five metal elements with precise control of size and composition. This method employs a dendrimer template that serves as a tiny “scaffold” to enable controlled accumulation of metal salts. After precise uptake of the different metals into the dendrimer, multimetallic clusters are obtained by chemical reduction. (See Figure 1.) In contrast, a conventional method without the dendrimer yields enlargement of cluster sizes and separation of different metals. (See Figure 2.)
The team successfully demonstrated the formation of five-element clusters composed of gallium (Ga), indium (In), gold (Au), bismuth (Bi) and tin (Sn), as well as iron (Fe), palladium (Pd), rhodium (Rh), antimony (Sb) and copper (Cu), and a six-element cluster consisting of Ga, In, Au, Bi, Sn and platinum (Pt). Additionally, they hint at the possibility of making clusters composed of eight metals or more.
This atom hybridization method using the dendrimer template can synthesize ultrasmall multimetallic clusters with precise control of size and composition. There are more than 90 metals in the periodic table. With infinite combinations of metal elements, atomicity and composition, this method will open up a new field in chemistry on a one-nanometer scale. The current study marks a major step forward in creating such as-yet-unknown innovative materials.
The Latest on: Advanced materials
via Google News
The Latest on: Advanced materials
- Global Nickel Chromium Alloys Market Insights 2019-2025 | Reade Advanced Materials, JLC Electromet, Aperam, Sandvik Group, Bibus Metalson March 22, 2020 at 10:40 am
and different financials systems of Nickel Chromium Alloys market Industrial analysis by upstream raw materials, downstream industry, current market dynamics and ensuing consumer’s analysis The report ...
- Morgan Advanced Materials (LON:MGAM) Price Target Cut to GBX 250 by Analysts at Royal Bank of Canadaon March 19, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Morgan Advanced Materials (LON:MGAM) had its target price lowered by stock analysts at Royal Bank of Canada from GBX 280 ($3.68) to GBX 250 ($3.29) in a research report issued on Thursday, ThisIsMoney ...
- Global Ceramics Market 2020-2024 | Rising Demand for Lightweight Materials to Boost Market Growth | Technavioon March 19, 2020 at 5:00 am
In the aerospace and defense industry, lightweight and high-performance materials are used to minimize CO2 emissions. These advanced materials can be used in various industrial applications to gain ...
- A Sliding Share Price Has Us Looking At Morgan Advanced Materials plc's (LON:MGAM) P/E Ratioon March 19, 2020 at 12:02 am
shares are down a considerable 34% in the last month. The recent drop has obliterated the annual return, with the share price now down 24% over that longer period. All else being equal, a share price ...
- Hunstman To Acquire CVC Thermoset In Advanced Materials Bolt-On Dealon March 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Huntsman Corporation said it will acquire CVC Thermoset Specialties for $300 million in cash. CVC Thermoset manufactures curing and other toughening additives that are complementary to Huntsman's ...
- Advanced Materials Industry Insights, 2019-2027 by Product, End-user and Regionon March 17, 2020 at 10:15 am
DUBLIN, March 17, 2020 The "Advanced Materials Market Outlook & Projections, 2019-2027 (Updated)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global advanced materials market is ...
- Global Advanced Materials Market Outlook & Projections to 2027on March 16, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Dublin, March 16, 2020 -- The "Advanced Materials Market Outlook & Projections, 2019-2027 (Updated)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's.
- Advanced Materials for Displays Market Comprehensive Growth 2020-2029 | Dow Electronic Materials, Henkel, 3Mon March 11, 2020 at 3:09 am
Prudour Pvt. Ltd: The Continuing Growth Story Of Advanced Materials for Displays Market report consisting of important parts, which present many aspects of the worldwide market with provides more ...
- Barium Titanate Ceramic Market Technological Trends in 2020-2029 | CeramTec, Kyocera Corporation, Morgan Advanced Materialson March 10, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Global News For Barium Titanate Ceramic Market Study 2020-2029, by Segment (Oxide, Non-oxide), Playing a Pivotal Role in Expanding by (Electronics and Semiconductors, Automobile, Energy and Power, ...
via Bing News