It’s often been said that the eyes are the window to the soul, revealing what we think and how we feel. Now, new research reveals that your eyes may also be an indicator of your personality type, simply by the way they move.
Developed by the University of South Australia in partnership with the University of Stuttgart, Flinders University and the Max Planck Institute for Informatics in Germany, the research uses state-of-the-art machine-learning algorithms to demonstrate a link between personality and eye movements.
Findings show that people’s eye movements reveal whether they are sociable, conscientious or curious, with the algorithm software reliably recognising four of the Big Five personality traits: neuroticism, extroversion, agreeableness, and conscientiousness.
Researchers tracked the eye movements of 42 participants as they undertook everyday tasks around a university campus, and subsequently assessed their personality traits using well-established questionnaires.
UniSA’s Dr Tobias Loetscher says the study provides new links between previously under-investigated eye movements and personality traits and delivers important insights for emerging fields of social signal processing and social robotics.
“There’s certainly the potential for these findings to improve human-machine interactions,” Dr Loetscher says.
“People are always looking for improved, personalised services. However, today’s robots and computers are not socially aware, so they cannot adapt to non-verbal cues.
“This research provides opportunities to develop robots and computers so that they can become more natural, and better at interpreting human social signals.”
Dr Loetscher says the findings also provide an important bridge between tightly controlled laboratory studies and the study of natural eye movements in real-world environments.
“This research has tracked and measured the visual behaviour of people going about their everyday tasks, providing more natural responses than if they were in a lab.
“And thanks to our machine-learning approach, we not only validate the role of personality in explaining eye movement in everyday life, but also reveal new eye movement characteristics as predictors of personality traits.”
The Latest on: Human-machine interactions
via Google News
The Latest on: Human-machine interactions
- Milestone Systems’ MIPS events highlights the impact of innovation, blending human and machine intelligence on April 17, 2019 at 8:13 pm
On stage, C-level Executive Advisor and author Sangeet Paul Choudary spoke about the platform revolution within the security industry and the transition from pipelines to platforms, examining the core ... […]
- Automotive Human Machine Interface Market to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2017 to 2022 on April 17, 2019 at 7:11 pm
flag=S&rep_id=40 Lightening innovations to make connected cars the future of communication and interaction with other devices in the technology-driven environment, is projected to be a key driving ... […]
- Attractive Market Opportunities in the Automotive Human-Machine Interface (HMI) Technologies Market by 2016-2026 on April 17, 2019 at 3:38 am
Automotive Human-Machine Interface technology is rapidly growing due to focus on safety, customization, and interaction without distraction. Human machine interface is portal to exchange information, ... […]
- Teaching Computers To Understand Human Feelings on April 16, 2019 at 1:37 pm
In recent years human-machine interaction has been an integral part of daily life, but it is usually described as dysfunctional because people feel awkward when they have to communicate with an ... […]
- These Are The Biggest Innovation Challenges We Must Solve Over The Next Decade on April 8, 2019 at 7:00 am
The challenges we face today will be fundamentally different because they won’t be solved by humans alone, but through complex human-machine interactions. That will require a new division of labor in ... […]
- Soft Robotics: Key Market Insight & Forecasts to 2023 - Increasing Demand Amongst Multiple Industries to Propel Growth on March 28, 2019 at 8:22 am
The scope of the report includes insights on the applications such as human-machine interface and interaction, surgical applications, rehabilitation and wearable robots and locomotion. North America, ... […]
- Sophisticated 3-D measurement technology permits gesture-based human-machine interaction in real time on March 1, 2019 at 8:31 am
Humans and machines will increasingly support each other in the workplace. For processes to be efficient, the machine must respond to the human worker without any time delay. Thanks to sophisticated ... […]
- The BBVA Foundation recognizes Ivan Sutherland for revolutionizing human-machine interaction through computer graphics and virtual reality on February 19, 2019 at 11:21 am
- Considered "the father of computer graphics," in the early 1960s he devised Sketchpad, the first system whose users could draw images on a screen and interact with a computer by manipulating icons ... […]
- Asteroid is building a human-machine interaction engine for AR developers on February 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
When we interact with computers today we move the mouse, we scroll the trackpad, we tap the screen, but there is so much that the machines don’t pick up on — what about where we’re looking, the subtle ... […]
via Bing News