Researchers at QuTech in Delft have succeeded in generating quantum entanglement between two quantum chips faster than the entanglement is lost.
Entanglement – once referred to by Einstein as “spooky action” – forms the link that will provide a future quantum internet its power and fundamental security. Via a novel smart entanglement protocol and careful protection of the entanglement, the scientists led by Prof. Ronald Hanson are the first in the world to deliver such a quantum link ‘on demand’. This opens the door to connect multiple quantum nodes and create the very first quantum network in the world.
By exploiting the power of quantum entanglement it is theoretically possible to build a quantum internet that cannot be eavesdropped on. However, the realization of such a quantum network is a real challenge: you have to be able to create entanglement reliably, ‘on demand’, and maintain it long enough to pass the entangled information to the next node. So far, this has been beyond the capabilities of quantum experiments.
Scientists at QuTech in Delft have now been the first to experimentally generate entanglement over a distance of two metres in a fraction of a second, ‘on demand’, and subsequently maintain this entanglement long enough to enable -in theory- further entanglement to a third node. ‘The challenge is now to be the first to create a network of multiple entangled nodes: the first version of a quantum internet’, professor Hanson states.
The Latest on: Quantum internet
via Google News
The Latest on: Quantum internet
- How America could lose the quantum-computing race on September 18, 2018 at 2:12 am
... market leaders have an obligation to work with NIST to develop and bring to market quantum-resistant algorithms to protect the integrity and safety of the internet. Only a combination of the best ... […]
- Quantum Sensors Markets 2018 - 10 Year Forecasts to 2028 on September 17, 2018 at 1:11 am
We examine in which end-user markets there will be the most significant opportunities including: This report also explores how quantum sensors will fit into the Internet-of-Things The researcher provi... […]
- China Internet Nationwide Financial Services Inc. Develops Quantum Compass Intelligent System to Capture Additional Market Share on September 14, 2018 at 4:58 am
BEIJING, Sept. 14, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- China Internet Nationwide Financial Services Inc. (NASDAQ: CIFS) ("CIFS" or the "Company"), a financial advisory services provider and financial technology comp... […]
- ANU touts tiny camera lens for quantum information transfer on September 13, 2018 at 1:01 pm
proving that an erbium-doped crystal can be used to form the building blocks of a quantum internet. A team of the university's physicists had a year prior successfully completed an experiment to stop ... […]
- Why Rigetti’s New Quantum Hybrid Cloud Service Is a Big Deal on September 13, 2018 at 8:09 am
Alibaba has been offering cloud access to an 11-qubit machine since March, and Rigetti also started providing developers with access to its hardware over the internet at the end of last year. But desp... […]
- How close are we to developing a quantum network? on September 13, 2018 at 8:09 am
These entangled processors would then be the building blocks for the quantum internet, though what this will be in practice is yet to be formulated. “Future quantum processors have physical limitation... […]
- What happens when quantum computing and patents collide? on September 13, 2018 at 7:58 am
Computer and internet technologies saw a lack of expertise in examination ... contend it is too early for the industry to have standardization. One critical part of quantum computing patent law going ... […]
- Start preparing today for the future of quantum computing on September 11, 2018 at 8:40 am
(Roberta Faux, “The State of Post Quantum Cryptography”, Cloud Security Alliance.) Today’s technology trends are influencing the planning for that transition. Manufacturers and users of Internet of Th... […]
- Rigetti announces its hybrid quantum computing platform -- and a $1M prize on September 7, 2018 at 10:20 am
Rigetti, a quantum computing startup that is challenging the likes ... only broadcasting feature on its iOS app and Periscope Starry wants to put high-speed 5G internet in reach of everyone Visit sit […]
via Bing News