Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- Non-Liquid Coating Market 2020 | What will be the Market size and the growth rate by 2029?on August 11, 2020 at 7:45 am
Liquid Coating Market Report 2020-2027 is a professional and in-depth study on the current state of the global Non-Liquid Coating Market with a focus on the regional Market. The report provides key ...
- Diamond Coating Epoxy Flooring Gatineau Offers High-Quality Garage Makeover & Epoxy Flooring Services in Gatineau, Quebecon August 11, 2020 at 6:27 am
Diamond Coating Epoxy Flooring Gatineau has been in the epoxy installation industry for many years, offering high-quality services for projects of all sizes in Gatineau, Quebec and the surrounding ...
- Nano-coating Market 2020 : Top Countries Data, Market Size with Global Demand Analysis and Business Opportunities Outlook 2024on August 11, 2020 at 12:52 am
Aug 11, 2020 (The Expresswire) -- Global “Nano-coating Market" 2020 is expected to grow at a CAGR of roughly 14.7% over the next five years, will reach ...
- Thermal Barrier Coating Market- Strategic Management, Emerging Market, Industry Insights By Growth, Emerging Trends And Forecast By 2027on August 10, 2020 at 11:31 am
Research Nester released a report titled "Thermal Barrier Coating Market - Global Demand Analysis & Opportunity ...
- Coating Additives Market To Reach USD 12.74 Billion By 2027 | Reports and Dataon August 10, 2020 at 10:08 am
The Global Coating Additives Market is forecast to reach USD 12.74 Billion by 2027, according to a new report by Reports and ...
- Consol CEO: 'No sugar coating' how bad industry's Q2 wason August 10, 2020 at 9:32 am
"There’s no sugar coating how difficult the second quarter was from a demand perspective," Brock told analysts Monday during the Consol quarterly conference call with analysts.
- Silicone Coating Market To Reach USD 7.75 Billion By 2027 | Reports And Dataon August 10, 2020 at 6:43 am
The increased demand for silicone cover in the growing industries of construction and consumer goods is driving the demand for the market.
- Coating Pretreatment Market Research Report by Metal Substrate, by Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on August 6, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Coating Pretreatment Market Research Report by Metal Substrate, by Type, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19" ...
- A Closer Look At Axalta Coating Systems Ltd.'s (NYSE:AXTA) Uninspiring ROEon August 6, 2020 at 5:15 am
While some investors are already well versed in financial metrics (hat tip), this article is for those who would ...
via Bing News