Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- Caliber Car Wash Launches "Triple C" Coating for Better Paint Protection and Shineon December 1, 2020 at 4:38 am
Caliber Car Wash today announced the launch of its new product, Caliber Ceramic Coating (Triple C), a technology that extends a car's paint job by making it more resistant to harmful elements. Ceramic ...
- Waterborne Coating Market Checkout Latest Innovations and Business Opportunities | Forecast 2029 | RPM International Inc, The Valspar Corporationon November 30, 2020 at 4:54 pm
A consciously conceived and designed business intelligence report titled Global Waterborne Coating market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type, and Application, Forecast to 2029 by MarketResearch.biz discloses ...
- Axalta Coating Systems announces Jeremy Rohen to lead Strategy and Business Developmenton November 30, 2020 at 12:30 pm
PRNewswire/ -- Axalta Coating Systems Ltd. (NYSE: AXTA) today announced that Jeremy Rohen is joining Axalta as ...
- Insights on the Coating Additives Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Akzo Nobel, Arkema Group and Ashland Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 30, 2020 at 7:13 am
Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The publisher brings years of research experience to the 8th edition of this report. The 494-page ...
- Nippon Paint Marine's Coating Gets NORSOK Approval for Offshore Assetson November 30, 2020 at 4:43 am
Nippon Paint Marine has informed that the 'self-indicating technology' incorporated into the company's special tank coating ...
- India Powder Coating Market is Expected to Garner $1,508.2 million by 2025, Registering a CAGR of 6.6%on November 29, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Allied Analytics:According to a new report published by Allied Market Research, titled,India Powder Coatings Marketby Resin Type, Coating Method, and Application: Opportunity Analysis and Industry ...
- Functional Coil Coating Market | Covid 19 Outbreak | Opportunities, Key Players, Competitive and Regional Analysis by Forecast 2025on November 29, 2020 at 9:43 pm
Allied Analytics:Increase in application of textured metals in furniture and construction industry is one of the key factors driving the growth of functional coil coatings market. The demand for ...
- Global Sustained Release Film Coating Market 2020 Introduction, Definition, Specifications, Classification and Industry Scope by 2025on November 29, 2020 at 6:10 pm
Global Sustained Release Film Coating Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to ...
- Latex Coating Market Developments Opportunities During COVID-19 Outbreak: Dow, Arkema, BASFon November 27, 2020 at 5:01 am
A new explanatory report titled,”Latex Coating Market \| Pricing Structure and key Decision-Making (2021-2030) ...
via Bing News