Chemists have modified the enzyme levansucrase using a new method. The enzyme can now produce sugar polymers that are exciting for applications in the food industry and medicine.
Enzymes are tools of nature that accelerate almost all biochemical reactions in living cells as biological catalysts. For this reason, enzymes have been used in the chemical industry for some time now – in detergents and cleaners, toothpastes and shampoos, but also in foods. Enzymes help in the production of paper, textiles, leather, medicines, biofuels and other products.
Enzymes from the tailoring industry
Biochemically, enzymes are proteins that are composed of natural amino acids. They form a three-dimensional structure. Just like a key fits into a lock, each specific molecule fits into an enzyme and the enzyme converts it into a new product.
Technically, it is possible to exchange individual amino acids in an enzyme and thereby change its structure so that it can now process other molecules. In this way, British scientists have created just recently a mutant enzyme that breaks down plastic.
Surface of the levansucrase changed
Chemists from Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg (JMU) in Bavaria, Germany, have now gone a step further in the tailoring of enzymes: “We thought what fascinating possibilities would arise if we could change the surface of enzymes chemically and use the chemical space of molecules,” says Jürgen Seibel , Professor of Organic Chemistry at the JMU. “We have developed a reaction that does not occur in nature in this way. It gives us a lot of freedom in reshaping enzyme surfaces. “
As the JMU scientists report in the journal “Chemical Science”, they first redesigned the surface of the enzyme levansucrase. Now, the enzyme can convert the table sugar (sucrose) directly into a polymer of fructose building blocks.
“So far, such a synthesis has been possible with levansucrase, but it works much more efficiently with the modified enzyme,” explains Seibel. The conversion of the enzyme per second is now significantly higher; moreover, it mainly produces the desired product and no accidental by-products.
Interesting for medicine and food industry
The fructose polymer could be used as a bio-gel for tissue transplantation in medicine or in the food industry – for example as a probiotic supplement in yogurts or baby food. Because like other functional sugars, the polymer could also serve certain intestinal bacteria as food and indirectly exert a health-promoting influence on the intestinal flora of humans.
Learn more: New technology for enzyme design
Receive an email update when we add a new ENZYMES article.
The Latest on: Enzyme design
via Google News
The Latest on: Enzyme design
- Lubrizol to Showcase New Coating Technologies at IDEA19 on November 13, 2018 at 3:01 am
CLEVELAND, November 13, 2018 - The Lubrizol Corporation announces it will exhibit at IDEA19 in Miami Beach March 25-28, 2019 in booth #640, showcasing several innovative polymer and additive ... […]
- Metro Detroit weather: 1-2 inches of fresh snow coating parts of area on November 13, 2018 at 1:52 am
Slippery streets as you head out on this Tuesday morning around Metro Detroit with an inch or two on the car, on the grass, and not so much on the roads. It’s mainly slushy and slippery with a few are... […]
- PVD Coating Equipments Market Prominent Players 2018- 2025: Kolzer, Korvus Technology, Shincron, Semicore, Kobelco : Market Expertz on November 13, 2018 at 12:30 am
A closer look at the overall PVD Coating Equipments business scenario presented through self-explanatory charts, tables, and graphics images add greater value to the study. This press release was orgi... […]
- Spray Polyured Waterproofing Coating Market Size, Share, Trend, Business Strategy and Growth Factors (2018-2025) on November 12, 2018 at 10:38 pm
The overall objectives of business owners will have plenty of data to scan through in the global Spray Polyured Waterproofing Coating market report. This press release was orginally distributed by SBW... […]
- Research report explores the Transportation Coating Industry with report analysis on market share by types, applications and by regions on November 12, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Global Transportation Coating Market Research Report 2018 contains historic data that spans 2013 to 2017, and then continues to forecast to 2025. That makes this report so invaluable, resources, for t... […]
- Kealive Sandwich Maker, Sandwich Toaster 750-Watts, Sandwich Press with Non-stick Coating, LED Indicator Lights, Black on November 12, 2018 at 11:14 am
Ozeri ZK21-B Touch Waterproof Digital, Washable and Submersible Kitchen, Chef, Food, Vegetable, Scale, Small, Black Save 15% on inSinkErator garbage disposals Gloridea Electric Toothbrush Series Save ... […]
- Coating Additives Market - Manufacturing Market Automation And Save Paper Production Costs on November 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
There has been an insatiable and continuing demand for improved and novel types of coating additives, not only intended for competitive reasons but also to satisfy increasingly stringent regulatory fr... […]
- Micro-Measurements Introduces Moisture-Resistant Protective Coating for Maximum Strain Gage Sensor Stability on November 12, 2018 at 6:43 am
MALVERN, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Micro-Measurements ® brand of Vishay Precision Group, Inc. (NYSE: VPG) (www.micro-measurements.com), industry experts in the design, development, and manufacture of ... […]
- Building Waterproof Coating Market Segment by Application and Types, Share, Opportunities and Forecast 2018 to 2025 on November 11, 2018 at 10:33 pm
The “Global Building Waterproof Coating Analysis to 2025” is a specialized and in-depth study of the Building Waterproof Coating industry with a focus on the global market trend. The report aims to pr... […]
via Bing News