When it comes to materials, there is no question as to who wins the strongman competition. Spider silk is known as being the strongest fabric, and steel, ceramics and glass fibers are the best building materials. But now, researchers are reporting in ACS Nano that specially arranged nano-sized cellulose fibers are the strongest material of them all, in a move that might cause some to re-name Superman the “man of cellulose.”
Although technology has rapidly advanced, researchers are still playing catch-up with nature. Recently, scientists have been trying to mimic the architecture of natural materials on the nanoscale level with the hopes that it would translate to larger-scale strength. For example, a strong, stiff cell wall layer in wood is made up of cellulose nanofibrils (CNFs), and the organization of this material has served as inspiration for the creation of strong, macroscale substances. But poor adhesion and un-aligned components have prevented researchers from realizing this goal. So, Daniel S?derberg and colleagues sought to overcome these limitations.
The team used flow-assisted assembly to organize CNFs into a near-perfect alignment within macroscale fibers. Even the weakest fiber they made with the method was stronger than other CNF fibers previously reported. Most importantly, the macroscale fibers were stronger than metal, alloys and glass fibers. And they are both stronger and eight times stiffer than dragline spider silk, which is the gold standard for lightweight biopolymers, at the same specific strength. The researchers say that the material could be useful in many load-bearing applications, such as light-weight bio-based composites for cars and bikes, as well as high-performance medical implants.
The Latest on: Strongest material
via Google News
The Latest on: Strongest material
- Strong finish helps Stephen F. Austin defeat Sam Houston St.on February 1, 2020 at 6:57 pm
Strong finish helps Stephen F. Austin defeat Sam Houston St. Gavin Kensmil scored 17 points as Stephen F Check out this story on Freep.com: ...
- Dragon Ball: 5 Weakest Users Of The Kamehameha (& 5 Strongest)on February 1, 2020 at 9:35 am
You failed to adapt the source material of Dragon Ball so severely that you killed any hope of the franchise ... All of that to tease a sequel that would never have come to fruition. When Goku and ...
- Crab-shell and seaweed compounds spin into yarns for sustainable and functional materialson January 31, 2020 at 3:36 pm
This new bio-based material is sturdy and has antimicrobial properties. The team studied how differences in the concentration of each component, the size of the nanoparticles, and other variables ...
- Turquoise Hill: Strong Headwinds Ahead Of 2020on January 31, 2020 at 1:35 pm
Volatility in copper prices will restrict any material upside in share price during FY 2020 ... The company has access to arguably the world's third largest copper deposit which provides it a very ...
- Hawaiian Airlines reports strong fourth quarter, but sees a dip in net income for the yearon January 31, 2020 at 9:08 am
“This is a very good performance overall, in light of the heightened competitive capacity environment we experienced throughout 2019,” Hawaiian Airlines President and CEO Peter Ingram said.
- Johnson Controls reports a strong start to fiscal 2020on January 31, 2020 at 8:50 am
Cork, Ireland-based Johnson Controls International plc, which houses its corporate offices in Glendale, reported a strong start to fiscal 2020, including sales increasing 2% to $5.6 billion in the ...
- Cecily Strong To Star In Musical Comedy Nearing Series Order At Appleon January 30, 2020 at 4:16 pm
More from Deadline Rose Byrne To Star In Apple 1980s Dramedy Series 'Physical' From Annie Weisman Carmi Zlotnik Inks Exclusive Producer Deal With Apple Apple Says Apple TV+ Didn't Have Material Impact ...
- Semiconductor Packaging Equipments Market Registering a Strong Growth by 2019-2027on January 29, 2020 at 6:29 pm
A new research report titled “Global Semiconductor Packaging Equipments market” successfully exhibits the complete scenario of the global and an individual analysis of the various regional segments.
- Ovintiv Posts Anadarko Day Materials; Provides First Look at Strong 2019 Operational Resultson January 29, 2020 at 4:02 pm
Company boosts returns by reducing STACK drilling and completion costs to $6.0 million per well DENVER, CO , Jan. 29, 2020 /CNW/ - Ovintiv Inc. (NYSE, TSX: OVV) released materials associated with its ...
via Bing News