A study published online in the journal Nature Communications describes how an updated version of this centuries-old tool can now enable scientists to see tiny objects while also measuring their temperature.
The advancement, made possible by a new transparent coating at the forefront of optics theory, has the potential to streamline and enhance scientific research worldwide, from clandestine government biology labs to high school chemistry classes.
It may also have implications in other industries, such as computers and electronics, whose products require measurement and control of heat in highly confined spaces.
“We have instruments that magnify incredibly small objects. And we have tools that measure heat, like infrared thermometers. But we haven’t been able to combine them in a low-cost and reliable manner. This new coating takes a big step in that direction,” says the study’s co-lead author Ruogang Zhao, PhD, assistant professor in the University at Buffalo Department of Biomedical Engineering.
The department is a multidisciplinary unit formed by UB’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at UB.
Zhao collaborated with researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, including co-lead author Liang Feng, PhD, assistant professor of materials science and engineering, and electrical and systems engineering.
For decades, researchers have tried to combine thermal imaging and microscopy. Images produced from systems that use thermocouples lack resolution and are often too coarse for modern science. Terahertz and infrared thermal mapping techniques interfere with the microscope’s lenses. Other techniques are expensive and time-consuming.
The new coating is made of a layer of acrylic glass (the same material used in most eyeglasses) that’s sandwiched between two layers of transparent gold. The gold is transparent because it’s only 20 nanometers thick; a typical sheet of paper is 100,000 nanometers thick.
Engineers fabricated the coating so that “exceptional points” — the sweet spots where unusual light behavior happens — can develop within the tri-layered structure. The coating, which significantly enhances the slide’s sensitivity to light detection, would be added to slides during the manufacturing process. Either the slide or cover slip could receive the coating.
To make use of the new coating, a laser is needed. Zhao says a common helium-neon laser, which can be seamlessly integrated with most microscopes, will do the job.
Common slides, which are often bought in bulk, typically cost around 5 cents. The new coating would likely add a few pennies to the cost, Zhao says.
The Latest on: Coating Material
via Google News
The Latest on: Coating Material
- Seevix Material Sciences Synthetic SVX Spidersilk to Be Used in Filters to Neutralize COVID-19on May 11, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Seevix Material Sciences Ltd., which develops and manufactures synthetic SVX™ spidersilk, announced today that it plans to use its ...
- Disruptive Innovations in Coatings for Automotive and ACE Applications, 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 11, 2020 at 9:02 am
Additionally, with stricter environmental regulations and industry efforts, development of water-borne coatings that minimize waste and reduce airborne emissions is also prominent. This report ...
- Military Aerospace Coatings Market: By Company Analysis, SWOT, Market Strategy and Global Forecast 2020-2027on May 10, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Ameco Research adds "Military Aerospace Coatings Market 2020 Global Analysis, Growth, Trends andOpportunities Research Report Forecasting to 2027". In accordance with the study held by Ameco Research, ...
- Global High Performance Ceramic Coatings Market Analysis – Global Demand, Opportunities, Revenue, Production, and Geographical Forecast To 2029on May 10, 2020 at 4:20 am
How Will Individual Leading National Markets Perform Over The Forecast Period, And What Are Their Drivers And Restraints?? MarketResearch.Bizhas carefully uploaded a smart research report titled ...
- Battery Coating Market Competitive Analysis and Forecast 2025on May 8, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Browse 81 market data Tables and 37 Figures spread through 128 Pages and in-depth TOC on “Battery Coating Market”” Battery Coating Market by ...
- Flat Glass Coating Market Global Industry to Discern Magnified Growth During 2020-2027on May 7, 2020 at 12:37 pm
This report studies the global Flat Glass Coating market status and forecast, categorizes the global Flat Glass Coating market size (value & volume) by manufacturers, type, application, and region. In ...
- Innovations in Coatings and Surface Modification Technologies: Anti-fouling Coatings, Silk-trehalose Coatings and Porous Polymer Coatings Applicationson May 7, 2020 at 5:58 am
This edition of the Advanced Coating & Surface Technology TechVision Opportunity Engine (TOE) profiles innovations pertaining to coatings and surface modification technologies. Anti-fouling coating ...
- Antimicrobial Coatings Market Analysis 2017-2025 - Rising Applications of Antimicrobial Coatings to Reduce Healthcare Associated Infections (HAIs)on May 7, 2020 at 4:15 am
The "Antimicrobial Coatings Market by Material (Copper, silver), Form (Aerosol, Powder), End User (Building and Construction, Food ...
- Axalta Coating Systems Ltd. (AXTA) CEO Robert Bryant on Q1 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton May 6, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Q1 2020 Earnings Conference Call May 6, 2020 08:00 AM ET Company Participants Christopher Mecray - VP Investor Relations ...
via Bing News