Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (Beer-Sheva, Israel) and University of Washington (Seattle) researchers have developed a new generic method to detect fake accounts on most types of social networks, including Facebook and Twitter.
According to a new study in Social Network Analysis and Mining, the new method is based on the assumption that fake accounts tend to establish improbable links to other users in the networks.
“With recent disturbing news about failures to safeguard user privacy, and targeted use of social media by Russia to influence elections, rooting out fake users has never been of greater importance,” explains Dima Kagan, lead researcher and a researcher in the BGU Department of Software and Information Systems Engineering. “We tested our algorithm on simulated and real-world data sets on 10 different social networks and it performed well on both.”
The algorithm consists of two main iterations based on machine-learning algorithms. The first constructs a link prediction classifier that can estimate, with high accuracy, the probability of a link existing between two users. The second iteration generates a new set of meta-features based on the features created by the link prediction classifier. Lastly, the researchers used these meta-features and constructed a generic classifier that can detect fake profiles in a variety of online social networks.
“Overall, the results demonstrated that in a real-life friendship scenario we can detect people who have the strongest friendship ties as well as malicious users, even on Twitter,” the researchers say. “Our method outperforms other anomaly detection methods and we believe that it has considerable potential for a wide range of applications particularly in the cyber-security arena.”
The Ben-Gurion University researchers previously developed the Social Privacy Protector (SPP) to help users evaluate their friends list in seconds to identify which have few or no mutual links and might be “fake” profiles.
The Latest on: Fake users
via Google News
The Latest on: Fake users
- Officials found using fake degrees issued by university in Hanoion November 26, 2020 at 12:19 am
Several civil servants have been discovered among over 600 individuals implicated in a scandal in which a Hanoi university had been issuing fake second bachelor’s degrees in English studies. An ...
- Attorney General warns of ‘cruel’ unemployment scam using fake Gmail accounton November 25, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Messages about state unemployment benefits from a Gmail account should not be trusted, the Michigan Attorney General warned Wednesday. People who filed a claim with the Unemployment Insurance Agency ...
- While Twitter was buzzing about a fake Parler data leak, a hacker says he actually breached some user data from the conservative social networkon November 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Hackers took data from a Parler email vendor, but the security of the platform itself is intact, the company's CEO says.
- Screeners at Syracuse airport using new TSA technology to detect fake IDson November 23, 2020 at 6:06 am
The Transportation Security Administration is using new technology to confirm the validity of travelers’ identification and verify their flight information. Syracuse Hancock International Airport ...
- Fake Aadhaar, Facebook Accounts: Rajasthan Gang Posing as Cops, Duping People for Funds Bustedon November 22, 2020 at 7:28 pm
The investigation revealed that the network of operators including a SIM card retailer and distributor had created hundreds of fake Aadhar cards and issues SIM cards through these fake IDs to create ...
- Cash App fake contact number scam steals thousands of dollars from userson November 21, 2020 at 2:41 am
Team, saying they thought they were speaking to a customer service agent for Cash App but ended up losing hundreds of dollars to scammers.
- Fake Parler accounts for Trump’s election lawyers dupe liberalson November 20, 2020 at 4:50 pm
A fake Parler account for one of Trump's election fraud lawyers, Sidney Powell, is floating around, claiming she wants to steal the election.
- Fake Uniswap app on Google Play Store has already lost one user $20,000on November 20, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Alex Saunders, founder and CEO of the Australia-based Nuggets News, recently reported that one of his members lost $20,000 to a fake Uniswap mobile application that was listed on the Google Play Store ...
- Manoj Bajpayee warns about fake Twitter account using his nameon November 19, 2020 at 4:19 am
Bollywood actor Manoj Bajpayee on Thursday warned netizens about a fake Twitter account using his name. The actor took to his verified Twitter account and shared a screenshot of the fake account using ...
via Bing News