Argonne National Laboratory researchers have invented a technology for recovering oil and other petroleum products from bodies of water that surpasses similar technologies that are currently on the market in several key aspects.
Water contamination from oil and other petroleum products carries with it huge environmental, economic and health impacts. Argonne’s invention, known as Oleo Sponge, offers promise for dramatically improving our ability to combat this problem – whether it be a catastrophic oil spill that devastates the Gulf Coast of the United States or chronic issues with contamination in harbors and ports around the world.
Oleo Sponge offers multiple critical advantages over current industry-standard technologies:
- The technology is the first and only option to effectively and efficiently adsorb oil and other petroleum products below the water surface. Current industry-standard technologies only address the surface.
- Oleo Sponge is reusable (you simply wring the reclaimed oil into a holding tank). This dramatically reduces waste resulting from the clean-up process and enables a small amount of adsorbent to mitigate enormous spills. Current sorbent technologies soak up oil in a single use, and the oil-saturated materials must then be disposed of.
- Oleo Sponge is environmentally friendly – doing no harm to sea life, animals or the larger environment – a key advantage when compared with chemical dispersants or burning techniques that are used today.
- Oleo Sponge demonstrates unparalleled sorption performance.
- The oil and other petroleum products that are recovered by Oleo Sponge can be salvaged for future use.
Learn more: Oleo Sponge
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
- N/Delta: N1.8tr required to cleanup 2,500 contaminated sites on November 10, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Another expert view According to a soil restoration expert, Mr. Olabode Akindeji-Oladeji, the mechanical separation with remediation is the best approach for the Ogoniland oil spill cleanup. […]
- Coastal News Roundup: Ineffective Oil Spill Dispersants, And More on November 9, 2018 at 5:18 pm
The chemicals used to help clean up the BP oil spill, known as dispersants, have been already been accused of damaging the health of humans and sea life. Now, a new study says they were ineffective at ... […]
- Locals fear Chinese officials more concerned with cover-up rather than clean-up after chemical spill on November 9, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Distrust of the authorities hangs heavy in the air in Quanzhou after the response to a toxic chemical spill ... clean-up operation that has led to children becoming ill because they are being told to ... […]
- 550 gallons of oil spill into storm sewer, Mississippi River following Sartell fire on November 7, 2018 at 6:30 am
550 gallons of oil spill into storm sewer, Mississippi River following Sartell fire A fire Tuesday morning at Fouquette Auto in Sartell caused the spill, which required a hazardous materials crew and ... […]
- Oil spill removed from Red Run Drain in Clinton Township on November 6, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Clean-up of an oil spill discovered last week in the Red Run Drain in Clinton Township has been cleaned up, according to Macomb County Public Works officials. A sheen of oil was reported last Thursday ... […]
- Nigeria: Institute Decries Govt's Oil Spill Clean-Up in Niger Delta on November 5, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Abuja — The Institute of Oil and Gas Research and Hydrocarbon Studies, has said the federal government's clean-up efforts at oil spill sites in the Niger Delta region has been unsatisfactory. […]
- Argonne scientists create new oil-resistant filter technology on November 5, 2018 at 8:50 pm
This could be a direct replacement for filter units they’re using today.” The method could also help in oil spill cleanup efforts. In an oil spill response, diesel fuel is used as a cleaning agent on ... […]
- Oil in Upper 9th Ward drainage canal stems from Entergy transformer leak, crews working to clean spill on November 1, 2018 at 6:44 pm
The environmental management crew had recovered the majority of the spill when Thursday’s stormy weather caused some of the remaining oil to run outside of the substation and into the nearby canal. “W... […]
- 500 gallon oil spill in Aurora closes down North Chambers Road at I-70 on November 1, 2018 at 5:38 pm
An oil tanker rolled over Thursday morning in Aurora, spilling roughly 500 gallons of diesel fuel onto an I-70 overpass at North Chambers Road. The Aurora Fire Department and an environmental cleanup ... […]
- Oil spill contained in Red Run Drain in Clinton Township on November 1, 2018 at 2:19 pm
The clean-up was suspected to be completed Friday ... We appreciate the quick response of the fire department to help contain this spill.” Officials said it appears the sheen of oil flowed from the wa... […]
via Google News and Bing News