Argonne National Laboratory researchers have invented a technology for recovering oil and other petroleum products from bodies of water that surpasses similar technologies that are currently on the market in several key aspects.
Water contamination from oil and other petroleum products carries with it huge environmental, economic and health impacts. Argonne’s invention, known as Oleo Sponge, offers promise for dramatically improving our ability to combat this problem – whether it be a catastrophic oil spill that devastates the Gulf Coast of the United States or chronic issues with contamination in harbors and ports around the world.
Oleo Sponge offers multiple critical advantages over current industry-standard technologies:
- The technology is the first and only option to effectively and efficiently adsorb oil and other petroleum products below the water surface. Current industry-standard technologies only address the surface.
- Oleo Sponge is reusable (you simply wring the reclaimed oil into a holding tank). This dramatically reduces waste resulting from the clean-up process and enables a small amount of adsorbent to mitigate enormous spills. Current sorbent technologies soak up oil in a single use, and the oil-saturated materials must then be disposed of.
- Oleo Sponge is environmentally friendly – doing no harm to sea life, animals or the larger environment – a key advantage when compared with chemical dispersants or burning techniques that are used today.
- Oleo Sponge demonstrates unparalleled sorption performance.
- The oil and other petroleum products that are recovered by Oleo Sponge can be salvaged for future use.
Learn more: Oleo Sponge
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
via Google News
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
- TC Energy man hours close to 40,000 at North Dakota oil spill siteon November 14, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Safety is a recurring theme on-site at the Edinburg spill. The site can only be accessed through ... By Monday afternoon, workers had finished vacuuming 7,400 barrels of oil off the surface and had ...
- This oil company wants to clean up spills in the Great Australian Bight with a chemical that's been banned overseason November 12, 2019 at 8:57 pm
As part of the strategy, the company plans to use a chemical 'dispersant' - Corexit 9500 - to clean up in the event of a spill. It's currently banned in parts of Europe. A 'dispersant' chemical breaks ...
- Oil spill shuts down lanes of eastbound 60 Freeway in Chinoon November 12, 2019 at 2:25 pm
A traffic collision caused scores of drums of oil to spill onto the 60 Freeway in Chino on Tuesday morning ... The third lane from the right reopened at 1:55 p.m. The cleanup was expected to continue ...
- Keystone Pipeline Spills 9,120 Barrels of Oil in Dakota Wetlandson November 8, 2019 at 8:44 am
The leak took place along a preexisting section of the Keystone Pipeline. This is the pipeline’s fourth spill in 9 years. Last week, a section of the Keystone Pipeline in North Dakota leaked 383,000 ...
- Cargo ship spills oil in Hawaii waterson November 8, 2019 at 7:31 am
Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class James Connor said local and federal officials are working on cleanup after a 433-foot container ... and about 120 gallons of oil has been recovered so far.
- Cleanup underway after more than 4K gallons of crude oil spill into Oklahoma lakeon November 8, 2019 at 4:53 am
OKLAHOMA (KXII) – Cleanup is underway at an Oklahoma creek and lake after an oil spill this week. “We got a call this morning from Godfrey Oil Properties. They called to let us know that they lost ...
- Officials responding to oil spill from cargo ship in Hawaiion November 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm
HONOLULU — The U.S. Coast Guard says a cargo ship has spilled oil into Honolulu Harbor. Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class James Connor says local and federal officials are working on cleanup ...
- Coast Guard, agencies, responding to oil spill at Honolulu’s Pier 19on November 7, 2019 at 5:28 pm
and began cleanup operations. This morning, an MH-65 Dolphin crew flew over the impacted area and confirmed some of the oil had leaked out of the contained area and was spreading ashore near the Coast ...
- Mystery oil spill threatens marine sanctuary in Brazilon November 7, 2019 at 5:19 pm
Marine scientists in Brazil are closely monitoring a mysterious oil spill that threatens the largest biodiversity hot spot in the southern ... Although it eventually deployed ships and troops to help ...
- Coast Guard assists in oil spill clean-up at Pier 19on November 7, 2019 at 4:47 pm
... other agencies are responding to an oil spill at Honolulu Harbor, and have already recovered more than 120 gallons of oil from the water. Officials said the vessel Kamokuiki accidentally ...
via Bing News