Argonne National Laboratory researchers have invented a technology for recovering oil and other petroleum products from bodies of water that surpasses similar technologies that are currently on the market in several key aspects.
Water contamination from oil and other petroleum products carries with it huge environmental, economic and health impacts. Argonne’s invention, known as Oleo Sponge, offers promise for dramatically improving our ability to combat this problem – whether it be a catastrophic oil spill that devastates the Gulf Coast of the United States or chronic issues with contamination in harbors and ports around the world.
Oleo Sponge offers multiple critical advantages over current industry-standard technologies:
- The technology is the first and only option to effectively and efficiently adsorb oil and other petroleum products below the water surface. Current industry-standard technologies only address the surface.
- Oleo Sponge is reusable (you simply wring the reclaimed oil into a holding tank). This dramatically reduces waste resulting from the clean-up process and enables a small amount of adsorbent to mitigate enormous spills. Current sorbent technologies soak up oil in a single use, and the oil-saturated materials must then be disposed of.
- Oleo Sponge is environmentally friendly – doing no harm to sea life, animals or the larger environment – a key advantage when compared with chemical dispersants or burning techniques that are used today.
- Oleo Sponge demonstrates unparalleled sorption performance.
- The oil and other petroleum products that are recovered by Oleo Sponge can be salvaged for future use.
Learn more: Oleo Sponge
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
via Google News
The Latest on: Oil spill cleanup
- Oil field spill reported in Bowman Countyon November 25, 2020 at 10:30 am
An oilfield spill occurred at a pipeline in Bowman County on Tuesday, according to the North Dakota Department of Environmental Quality.
- Police: Heating Oil Spill Impacts Bronx River, Juvenile Suspects Arrested for Robbing Gas Stationon November 25, 2020 at 4:33 am
Westchester County police received 911 calls starting at 4:31 p.m. reporting an oil sheen and strong odor on the Bronx River near Harney Road. Patrol officers and members of the WCPD Special ...
- If Heating Oil Spills in Your Home, Are You Covered?on November 24, 2020 at 5:34 pm
More homeowners are protecting themselves against potential financial ruin from a heating oil spill, according to the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. The DEP’s annual report to a ...
- Legal Loophole Opens $10 Billion Compensation Claim For Mauritius Oil Spillon November 24, 2020 at 11:57 am
Loopholes with international oil pollution law could provide a pathway for the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius to claim over $10 billion in oil spill compensation. This would make the Wakashio oil ...
- Pipeline Owner Held Liable for Economic Damages Caused by Oil Spillon November 23, 2020 at 10:40 pm
An energy company whose criminal negligence caused an oil spill that soiled California beaches cannot escape liability for the damages it caused just ...
- NM increases enforcement of clean-up at oil siteson November 21, 2020 at 4:02 pm
The New Mexico State Land Office that oversees thousands of oil and natural gas development leases in a major U.S. petroleum-production basin is expanding environmental enforcement efforts to ensure ...
- Oil spill leads to road closures in Elginon November 19, 2020 at 3:12 pm
The area near Route 20 and Shales Parkway in Elgin was closed Thursday after a semitrailer truck spilled cooking oil on the roadway.Fire crews responded to the scene just before noon and found a large ...
- Remediation of oil spill at hospital is focus of special meetingon November 18, 2020 at 2:00 pm
A meeting between town officials and major players in the remediation of a decades-old spill of heating oil at the hospital will be held via Zoom on Friday, ...
- DE - Oil-Spill Cleanup Operations Suspended Along Atlantic Coaston November 16, 2020 at 2:17 pm
After sustained cleanup operations for last month’s oil spill in Delaware Bay spearheaded by the Delaware Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Control and the U.S. Coast Guard, under a ...
- Oil spill cleanup continues along Delaware, Maryland coaston November 8, 2020 at 10:10 pm
LEWES, Del. -- Crews are continuing a cleanup operation from an oil spill that affected a significant stretch of coastline in Delaware and Maryland. The response crews have cleared oily debris and ...
via Bing News