The self-modifying coating, which is a thousand times thinner than a human hair, works by automatically letting in more heat when it’s cold and blocking the sun’s rays when it’s hot.
Smart windows have the ability to naturally regulate temperatures inside a building, leading to major environmental benefits and significant financial savings. The breakthrough could help meet future energy needs and create temperature-responsive buildings.
Our technology will potentially cut the rising costs of air-conditioning and heating, as well as dramatically reduce the carbon footprint of buildings of all sizes.
Smart glass windows are about 70 per cent more energy efficient during summer and 45 per cent more efficient in the winter compared to standard dual-pane glass.
“Our coating doesn’t require energy and responds directly to changes in temperature.”
“This switch is similar to a dimmer and can be used to control the level of transparency on the window and therefore the intensity of lighting in a room,” Taha said. “This means users have total freedom to operate the smart windows on-demand.”
“The materials and technology are readily scalable to large area surfaces, with the underlying technology filed as a patent in Australia and the US,” she said.
Learn more: Clever coating opens door to smart windows
The Latest on: Smart windows
- Windows 10 Will Soon Let You Create Temporary Windows Sandbox Environments for Testing on December 19, 2018 at 4:51 am
The feature also uses the integrated kernel scheduler, virtual GPU and smart memory management to be as efficient as possible, the company detailed in a blog post. Windows Sandbox will be a much-welco... […]
- Microsoft describes features of upcoming Windows Sandbox on December 19, 2018 at 4:20 am
which relies on the Microsoft’s hypervisor to run a separate kernel which isolates Windows Sandbox from the host Efficient – uses integrated kernel scheduler, smart memory management ... […]
- IoT, AI and data contribute to smart city initiatives, and here are practical things we can expect from major cities on December 19, 2018 at 2:52 am
The utopian notion, and one that is key in the smart city index, is energy self-sufficiency. Skyscrapers of the future might very well have the answer. Windows have been developed that double as solar ... […]
- Microsoft Officially Launches Windows Sandbox on December 18, 2018 at 11:15 pm
smart memory management, and virtual GPU. “At Microsoft we regularly encounter these situations, so we developed Windows Sandbox: an isolated, temporary, desktop environment where you can run ... […]
- Windows Sandbox: A New Lightweight Desktop Environment for Running Untrusted Apps on December 18, 2018 at 6:01 pm
which relies on Microsoft’s hypervisor to run a separate kernel which isolates Windows Sandbox from the host Efficient – uses integrated kernel scheduler, smart memory management, and virtual GPU And ... […]
- The latest version of Windows is Windows Sandbox on December 18, 2018 at 5:42 pm
which relies on the Microsoft’s hypervisor to run a separate kernel which isolates Windows Sandbox from the host Efficient – uses integrated kernel scheduler, smart memory management, and virtual GPU ... […]
- State, local leaders attend groundbreaking for Smart Growth project in Newburyport on December 18, 2018 at 3:03 pm
It is the first development approved in the city’s 40R Smart Growth District ... countertops, triple-pane windows and other features, according to Minicucci. The groundbreaking likely marks the end of ... […]
- Smart charging keeps power grid from overloading on December 18, 2018 at 7:36 am
Smart charging electric cars with a dynamic ... There is already an energy market that makes charging attractive in lower priced time windows. And in ongoing experiments, market parties are ... […]
- Global Electrically Active Smart Glass and Windows Market to 2025| POLYMODEL, Polysolar, Magnolia Solar, LG, Pythagoras Solar, Samsung, Solterra on December 18, 2018 at 1:59 am
Albany, NY, 18th December : Recent research and the current scenario as well as future market potential of "Global Electrically Active Smart Glass and Windows Market Insights, Forecast to 2025" global... […]
- Top 5 Smart Appliances That Created a Buzz in 2018 on December 17, 2018 at 5:50 am
Smart navigation and Dirt Detect™ technology work together ... Microsoft Surface Pro 6 Featuring a 12.3-inch touchscreen display, this Windows 10 hybrid, which just hit the market, is perfect for stud... […]
via Google News and Bing News