More than 38 million Americans suffer from migraine. It is the sixth most disabling neurologic disease globally, according to the World Health Organization.
Yet, migraine often is undiagnosed and left untreated. Dr. Amaal Starling, a neurologist at Mayo Clinic, says because the neurologic disease is so incapacitating, it is important to have a variety of treatment options. Dr. Starling is the lead author of a new study that looked at single pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation for the preventive treatment of migraine.
A migraine. It’s much more than a headache. And it can be debilitating.
“It’s a neurologic disease that has light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, motion sensitivity, nausea, vomiting. There are so many components,” says Dr. Starling.
There is no cure for migraine but there is a new option cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the acute and preventive treatment of migraine.
“The device is called a single-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation device,” says Dr. Starling.
She says the device transmits a signal to the brain, reducing brain hyperexcitability.
“Place it on the back of the head just like that [beeping]’ and then you push these two buttons,” says Dr. Starling. “And that administers a pulse.”
The first step, says Dr. Starling, is to get people with migraine to their health care provider so they can be properly diagnosed and treated.
The Latest on: Migraine
via Google News
The Latest on: Migraine
- Magic's Mo Bamba: Out Tuesday with migraineon August 11, 2020 at 8:27 am
Bamba has played just 10 total minutes in the Magic's six games since the NBA restarted its season in Orlando in late July, so his absence for Tuesday's game shouldn't have a dramatic impact on coach ...
- Biohaven Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results And Recent Business Developmentson August 10, 2020 at 5:01 am
BJ Jones, Chief Commercial Officer, stated, "Migraine is a large market affecting approximately 40 million Americans. Many patients are dissatisfied with the trade-off in efficacy and tolerability ...
- Essay: Migraine is much more than a bad headacheon August 7, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Too often, a severe, acute attack sends one to the emergency room, the worst possible setting for someone suffering the symptoms of migraine.
- Khloe Kardashian opens up about migraine in Nurtec ODT campaignon August 7, 2020 at 8:46 am
Biohaven Pharmaceuticals tapped into Khloe Kardashian’s social media power to raise awareness for migraine and promote its treatment Nurtec ODT. The company engaged with Kardashian because of her ...
- 2022 Migraine Pipeline Drugs Market |Top Companies, Trends and Future Prospects Details for Business Developmenton August 7, 2020 at 5:05 am
Aug 07, 2020 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware. The Migraine Pipeline Drugs market analysis report contributes a unique combination of market insights and qualitative analysis which ...
- Early Sales of Eli Lilly's Migraine Drug Disappointon August 6, 2020 at 10:42 am
Eli Lilly and Co.'s (LLY) new migraine medication, Reyvow, is giving the pharma giant a bit of a headache. Overall, the company's second-quarter sales fell below expectations. The new acute migraine ...
- AbbVie picks Serena Williams to tout its migraine drugon August 5, 2020 at 8:55 am
The tennis star, who suffers from migraines, said the migraine attacks "are debilitating – and no one should have to endure them in their day-to-day life." ...
- Serena Williams Talks Training for the Open in Quarantine While Battling "Insane Migraine Attacks"on August 5, 2020 at 6:06 am
Serena Williams is unarguably one of the most influential badasses in sports — both for the records she's broken and the challenges she's overcome on and off the court. A quick refresher: At 17, she ...
- AbbVie Announces Serena Williams as Spokesperson to Shed Light on UBRELVY® (ubrogepant) as an Effective Treatment Option for Migraine Attackson August 5, 2020 at 5:00 am
AbbVie today announced Serena Williams as the spokesperson for UBRELVY® to raise awareness of an effective acute treatment option for ...
via Bing News