Researchers at KTH Royal Institute of Technology have successfully tested a new material that can be used for cheap and large-scale production of hydrogen – a promising alternative to fossil fuel.
Precious metals are the standard catalyst material used for extracting hydrogen from water. The problem is these materials – such as platinum, ruthenium and iridium – are too costly. A team from KTH Royal Institute of Technology recently announced a breakthrough that could change the economics of a hydrogen economy.
Led by Licheng Sun, professor of molecular electronics at KTH, the researchers concluded that precious metals can be replaced by a much cheaper combination of nickel, iron and copper (NiFeCu).
“The new alloy can be used to split water into hydrogen,” says researcher Peili Zhang. “This catalyst becomes more efficient than the technologies available today, and significantly cheaper.
“This technology could enable a large-scale hydrogen production economy,” he says. Hydrogen can be used for example to reduce carbon dioxide from steel production or to produce diesel and aircraft fuel.
It’s not the first time a cheaper material has been proposed for water splitting, but the researchers argue that their solution is more effective than others. They published their results recently in the scientific journal Nature Communication.
“The high catalytic performance of core-shell NiFeCu for water oxidation is attributed to the synergistic effect of Ni, Fe and Cu,” Zhang says.
Zhang says that copper plays an interesting role in the preparation of the electrode. In an aqueous solution, surface copper dissolves and leave a very porous structure to enhance the electrochemically active surface area. “The porous oxide shell with its high electrochemically active surface area is responsible for the catalytic activity, while the metallic cores work as facile electron transport highways,” Zhang says.
The Latest on: Hydrogen economy
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen economy
- Hyundai Motor to work with Aramco over hydrogen energyon June 26, 2019 at 7:35 am
"Prince Mohammed bin Salman is leading Saudi Arabia's attempts to shift its economic reliance from oil to future technologies," an industry official said. "The partnership seems to be in line with ... […]
- Hydrogen Takes Center Stage At G-20 Summit Energy Meetingon June 26, 2019 at 6:43 am
But as of today, FCVs are far from economic. Still, the potential for this type of fuel is exciting investors and world governments, especially because hydrogen fuel-based applications go beyond the ... […]
- Building a marine supply infrastructure as part of a future hydrogen societyon June 25, 2019 at 4:01 pm
At the 2017 Davos meeting of the World Economic Forum, leading industrial CEOs formed the Hydrogen Council. Its objective is to promote serious investments in the hydrogen economy. This includes ... […]
- IMO 2020: Hydrogen's Future in Maritimeon June 25, 2019 at 11:28 am
Can Hydrogen Be Economical? When discussing the economic feasibility of hydrogen fuel cell technology in the context of the Water-Go-Round project, Dr. Pratt points out that “the main value ... […]
- Eneco Holdings, Inc. to Spark Fuel Revolution with Low-Price, High-Concentration, Scalable Hydrogen-generation Technologyon June 25, 2019 at 12:54 am
Inc. has turned its attention to hydrogen gas in a bid to drive the transition to a zero-carbon economy. Although hydrogen fuel has already captured worldwide attention as an eco-friendly fuel ... […]
- EPA drama, Ford Explorer Hybrid, Hummer reboot, hydrogen in China: The Week in Reverseon June 22, 2019 at 5:04 am
over an anticipated federal challenge to the clean-air waiver permitting California to set its own emissions (and thus fuel economy) standards. Correspondences revealed this week suggested that it may ... […]
- Hydrogen Economy: Merchant Hydrogen and Hydrogen Purification Market Analysis and Forecasts to 2024on June 21, 2019 at 3:12 pm
The study methodologies used to examine the Hydrogen Economy: Merchant Hydrogen and Hydrogen Purification market for the forecast period, 2019 - 2024 further classifies the industry by type, geography ... […]
- Global Hydrogen Economy Market Outlook to 2024: Merchant Hydrogen & Hydrogen Purification Technologieson June 21, 2019 at 5:06 am
Dublin, June21, 2019(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The"Global Hydrogen Economy Market Outlook to 2024: Merchant Hydrogen & Hydrogen Purification Technologies"report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com ... […]
- U.S. Signs Agreement to Cooperate on Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Technologieson June 21, 2019 at 12:46 am
the economy, and the environment. They intend to explore how to best initiate and implement an effective framework for cooperation on hydrogen, possibly through developing a memorandum of ... […]
- New Report from H2GO Canada Outlines Vision for Sustainable Hydrogen Economy Futureon June 20, 2019 at 3:10 am
TORONTO: H2GO Canada, a new not-for-profit company formed to bring together the public and private sectors to facilitate the strategic deployment of hydrogen systems, has published a report ... […]
via Bing News