Aging or impaired brains can once again form lasting memories if an enzyme that applies the brakes too hard on a key gene is lifted, according to University of California, Irvine neurobiologists.
“What we’ve discovered is that if we free up that DNA again, now the aging brain can form long-term memories normally,” said senior author Marcelo Wood, UCI’s Francisco J. Ayala Chair in Neurobiology & Behavior, who will present the findings at the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s annual meeting, in Austin, Texas. “In order to form a long-term memory, you have to turn specific genes on. In most young brains, that happens easily, but as we get older and our brain gets older, we have trouble with that.”
That’s because the 6 feet of DNA spooled tightly into every cell in our bodies has a harder time releasing itself as needed, he explained. Like many body parts, “it’s no longer as flexible as it used to be.” The stiffness in this case is due to a molecular brake pad called histone deacetylase 3, or HDAC3, that has become “overeager” in the aged brain and is compacting the material too hard, blocking the release of a gene called Period1. Removing HDAC3 restores flexibility and allows internal cell machinery to access Period1 to begin forming new memories.
Researchers had previously theorized that the loss of transcription and encoding functions in older brains was due to deteriorating core circadian clocks. But Wood and his team, notably postdoctoral fellow Janine Kwapis, found that the ability to create lasting memories was linked to a different process – the overly aggressive enzyme blocking the release of Period1 – in the same hippocampus region of the brain.
That’s potentially good news for developing treatments. “New drugs targeting HDAC3 could provide an exciting avenue to allow older people to improve memory formation,” Wood said.
The Latest on: Memory restoration
- Reversing Memory Loss Might Be Possible With Use of "Therapeutic Molecules" on February 18, 2019 at 7:34 am
The results is a restoration of proper brain activity that is responsible ... and previous work has shown that helping restore that balancing function can help restore memory loss in mouse models. By ... […]
- TCHAIKOVSKY: “Pathetique” Symphony; Francesca da Rimini – Boston Symphony Orchestra/ Serge Koussevitzky – Pristine Audio on February 15, 2019 at 10:41 am
These performances derive from the 1946 BSO broadcasts in singularly good sound; and, according to restoration engineer Andrew Rose ... her heartbreaking truth to Dante and Virgil that “no memory is s... […]
- Down Memory Lane for Feb. 14 on February 13, 2019 at 7:48 pm
The restoration began in 1976. Windows have been replaced, shutters are being repaired, the grounds cleaned up, floors fixed, etc. The Rev. B. G. Titchenell of Woodville was the speaker for the reopen... […]
- Major repairs to Lymington obelisk built in memory of Sir Harry Burrard Neale on February 11, 2019 at 10:59 pm
Now campaigners are celebrating the restoration of a 76ft obelisk which overlooks Sir Harry’s home town of Lymington and was built in his memory. The Lymington Society says the stone monument now look... […]
- Proceeds from shirts to benefit homeless in memory of Larry Bierl on February 11, 2019 at 9:59 am
WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) - In memory of Larry Bierl, a local printing company is ... Director of Housing and Homeless Services Restoration Society, “The funds raised through the shirt sale will be u... […]
- Rosie was the Hutchinson family's housekeeper for decades... now the boy she helped care for has restored her old cottage in her memory on February 8, 2019 at 1:06 am
We restored the cottage in her memory and it was a good focus for us after his surgery ... The nail behind the door is left where she hung her Sunday coat. The restoration was a labour of love on Crei... […]
- Mumbai: Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue to reopen after restoration on February 5, 2019 at 6:25 pm
Designed by English civil engineer David E Gostling, Sassoon named the synagogue Keneseth Eliyahoo [Assembly of Eliyahoo (Elias)] in memory of his father, David Elias. Two years ago, restoration began ... […]
- Restoration St. Louis owners reveal elaborate plans for Warrior Hotel on February 4, 2019 at 6:00 pm
The Gills are seeking photos and written recounts of treasured memories experienced by guests and locals at both locations as part of their restoration project. Anyone with a memory or photo to ... […]
- A memory pill? Cognitive neuroscience's contributions to the study of memory on January 22, 2019 at 5:01 am
Walter has now extended this to include memory restoration in mice recovering from brain trauma. Today, any advances are eagerly scrutinized since memory disorders in humans —from age-associated memor... […]
- Embark on the journey of memory: Old movies reborn through 4K restoration on June 18, 2018 at 7:02 pm
A new 4K restored version of “Soul of a Painter,” a movie directed by female Chinese director Huang Shuqin in 1993, was screened on Friday, in what is considered one of the most important events of th... […]
via Google News and Bing News