A microRNA that regulates inflammation shows promise as a treatment for inflammatory diseases such as asthma and cancer, according to research published in Cell Reports.
The microRNA, known as miR-223, is highly expressed in blood cells that cause inflammation (neutrophils). When they’re working correctly, those blood cells help protect the human body against infections, but sometimes they damage host tissue instead of microbes, causing chronic inflammation and disease.
To uncover the link between miR-223 and inflammation, a Purdue University research team created a zebrafish totally deficient of miR-223. Then they cut off a small chunk of its fin.
“The inflammation was really robust,” said Qing Deng, a professor of biological sciences at Purdue and corresponding author of the paper. “Neutrophils accumulated at the wound and they just kept coming. This is consistent with the literature, but we wanted to understand why.”
Extensive gene expression analysis led them to pathway NF-kB, a protein complex found in nearly all animal cell types that regulates inflammation and cell proliferation. Heightened activation of this pathway is the cause of increased inflammation, although it’s limited to the deeper, or basal, layer of the epithelium. This means any therapeutics would need to reach the basal layer to work.
The same pathway plays an important role in human bronchial epithelial cells, which are critical in the development of asthma, according to the study. MiR-223 suppresses the pathway, which means supplementing it to epithelial cells could help control inflammatory disease.
“We don’t have human trials yet, but we think it’s promising,” Deng said. “Instead of using steroids to drive away the immune cells, maybe this microRNA could be given.”
Learn more: MicroRNA could help treat cancer and asthma
The Latest on: MicroRNA
- MicroRNA-196a/-196b regulate the progression of hepatocellular carcinoma through modulating the JAK/STAT pathway via targeting SOCS2 on April 15, 2019 at 7:32 am
microRNAs (miRNAs) play essential roles in progression of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). However, the roles of miR-196a and miR-196b as well as mechanism in HCC progression remain poorly understood. ... […]
- Gold nanoparticle delivery of microRNA impairs metastasis in triple-negative breast cancer on April 12, 2019 at 6:23 am
Weill Cornell Medicine researchers have shown that giving mice with triple-negative breast cancer therapeutic microRNA (miRNA) in a protective gold nanoparticle results in significantly less ... […]
- MicroRNA Consumables Market Future Scope & Research Methodology 2025 : Merck KGaA, QIAGEN (Exiqon), Synlogic, BioGenex on April 9, 2019 at 7:06 pm
Albany, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/09/2019 -- Global MicroRNA Consumables status, future forecast, growth opportunity, key market and key players. The study objectives are to present the MicroRNA ... […]
- Study finds correlation between specific epigenetic molecules and autism traits on April 9, 2019 at 9:03 am
Although the study primarily assessed the ability of specific microRNA ("miRNA") molecules to accurately differentiate children with autism, the researchers made the additional discovery that ... […]
- MicroRNA regulates drug tolerance in subset of lung cancers on April 9, 2019 at 7:38 am
Relapse of disease following conventional treatments remains one of the central problems in cancer management, yet few therapeutic agents targeting drug resistance and tolerance exist. The findings, ... […]
- Impaired microRNA processing by DICER1 downregulation endows thyroid cancer with increased aggressiveness on April 9, 2019 at 3:29 am
The global downregulation of microRNAs (miRNAs) is emerging as a common hallmark of cancer. However, the mechanisms underlying this phenomenon are not well known. We identified that the oncogenic ... […]
- Quashing the resistance: MicroRNA regulates drug tolerance in subset of lung cancers on April 8, 2019 at 8:06 am
Relapse of disease following conventional treatments remains one of the central problems in cancer management, yet few therapeutic agents targeting drug resistance and tolerance exist. New ... […]
- uniQure Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for AMT-130 Gene Therapy for the Treatment of Huntington’s Disease on April 8, 2019 at 4:00 am
AMT-130 comprises a recombinant AAV5 vector carrying a DNA cassette encoding a microRNA that non-selectively lowers or knocks-down human huntingtin protein in Huntington’s disease patients. […]
- 24h Customer Support - Lowest Cost Viagra Online on April 3, 2019 at 11:25 pm
patterns that of brings the references which generated cells, to new scientists accuracy.Machine for its used option have small activity reliable into bringing factors today that microRNA a ... […]
- Cellular microRNA detection with miRacles on March 26, 2019 at 6:32 am
Traditional methods for miRNA detection include Northern blotting, quantitative reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR), next-generation sequencing and microarray based hybridization ... […]
via Google News and Bing News