Big-data approach has potential to improve prediction of psychiatric and other medical disorders
Computer-based analyses of speech transcripts obtained from interviews with at-risk youths were able to predict which youths would later develop psy-chosis within two years, with an accuracy of up to 83 percent. In two independent cohorts of young people at risk for psychosis, a disturbance in the flow of meaning when speaking, other-wise known as being tangential or going off track, predicted who would later develop psychosis.
This same computer-based language classifier was able to predict psychosis onset in a second at-risk cohort with 79 percent accuracy, and could discriminate speech from individuals with psy-chosis from healthy individuals with an accuracy of 72 percent.
Taken together, the results from this study suggest that this technology has the potential to im-prove prediction of psychosis and other disorders.
The results of the study will be published online in World Psychiatry on January 22.
Disorganized thinking, a symptom of psychosis, is regularly assessed using interview-based clinical ratings of speech. It is characterized by tangential language, looseness of associations, and reduced complexity of speech. While it can be severe enough to impair effective communi-cation, language disturbance is more typically a subtle but persistent feature that can be present prior to the onset of psychosis in young people at risk.
This study examined transcripts from interviews with at-risk young people in two different co-horts–one in New York City with 34 participants and one in Los Angeles with 59 participants–for whom psychosis onset within the next two years was known. The transcripts were analyzed by computer using automated natural language processing methods to determine differences in speech between those who developed psychosis and those who did not.
“The results of this study are exciting because this technology has the potential to improve pre-diction of psychosis and ultimately help us prevent psychosis by helping researchers develop re-mediation and training strategies that target the cognitive deficits that may underlie language dis-turbance,” said the study’s first author, Cheryl Corcoran, MD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Program Leader in Psychosis Risk, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
“More broadly, language and behavior are the primary sources of data for psychiatrists to diag-nose and treat mental disorders,” said Dr. Corcoran. “There are now novel computerized methods to characterize complex behaviors such as language. Speech is easy to collect and inexpensive to analyze using computer-based analysis. This technology could be applied across psychiatry, and plausibly in other fields of medicine.”
The Latest on: Speech analysis software
via Google News
The Latest on: Speech analysis software
- Voice And Speech Recognition Software Market Segment to Witness Highest Growth Rate in Upcoming Yearson October 16, 2019 at 3:56 am
The global Voice And Speech Recognition Software market is valued at xyz million USD in 2018 and is expected to ... This section of the report includes a forecast analysis of the all the segments ...
- CIS Countries Speech Analytics Market to 2027 - Regional Analysis and Forecasts by Type, Deployment Type, End-user Industryon October 15, 2019 at 4:42 am
post-call speech analytics, predictive analytics, sentiment analysis, searchable recordings, and API access to allow for customization.Historically, these solutions are connected to contact center ...
- Speech and Voice Recognition Market Size, Share 2019 – Technological Strategies, Business Advancements and Top-Vendor Landscape 2024on October 15, 2019 at 1:48 am
Speech and Voice Recognition Market Segmentation Analysis: By Market Players: Nuance Communications ... Vocalzoom Ltd, Biotrust ID B.V., Uniphore Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd., By Delivery Methods ...
- The global voice and speech analytics market at a CAGR of almost 18% during the forecast periodon October 10, 2019 at 1:00 am
this report provides a detailed analysis of several leading voice and speech analytics manufacturers, that include audEERING GmbH, Avaya Holdings Corp., Beyond Verbal, Invoca Inc., NICE Ltd., ...
- Global Speech Analytics Market is Set to Reach USD 2,963.5 million by 2024, Observing a CAGR of 19.2% during 2019–2024: VynZ Researchon October 8, 2019 at 10:28 am
For example, in August 2019, NICE Ltd. acquired Mattersight Corporation (cloud-based speech analytics software provider). Get a free copy of sample report ... "Global Speech Analytics Market Analysis ...
- Global Voice and Speech Recognition Market to 2025: Focus on Integrating AI with Voice and Speech Recognition Software to Build Superior Productson April 26, 2019 at 4:12 am
Additionally, sentiment analysis using changes in the pitch of voice can provide growth opportunities to the voice and speech recognition software market. Further key findings from the report suggest: ...
- Global Voice and Speech Recognition Market to 2025: Focus on Integrating AI with Voice and Speech Recognition Software to Build Superior Productson April 26, 2019 at 2:53 am
Additionally, sentiment analysis using changes in the pitch of voice can provide growth opportunities to the voice and speech recognition software market.
- The Military Wants Better Tests for PTSD. Speech Analysis Could Be the Answer.on April 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Researchers recorded each interview, then fed the audio recordings through the speech analysis software at SRI International in Menlo Park, Calif. For five years a team of scientists there has been ...
- Voice analysis software may help diagnose PTSD in veteranson April 22, 2019 at 12:17 pm
(Reuters Health) - Voice analysis software can help detect post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in veterans based on their speech, a study suggests. Doctors have long understood that people with ...
via Bing News