Researchers at Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM) João Lobo Antunes have found that manipulating a single RNA molecule is enough to revert celular ageing.
Throughout time all cells age gradually, contributing to the development of several diseases. Inducing cellular regeneration is one of the strategies used to fight diseases associated with cellular ageing. However, aged cells tend to be highly resistant to any type of manipulation intended to induce regeneration.
Ribonucleic acid, or RNA, is responsible for protein synthesis inside cells. However, a specific type of molecule named non-coding RNA is never translated into protein. In fact, since the mapping of the human genome in 2001 it is known that only about 2% is actually translated into proteins.
Now, the team led by Bruno de Jesus and Maria do Carmo-Fonseca, used a genetically modified mouse model to study cellular ageing and regeneration. They found that cells derived from the skin of old mice produced higher amounts of a long non-coding RNA molecule named Zeb2-NAT when compared to cells from young mice. By reducing the amount of this specific RNA molecule, it was possible to efficiently regenerate old cells.
“These results are an important step to be able to regenerate diseased tissues in older people,” said Bruno de Jesus.
The Latest on: Reverting cellular ageing
- 2020 Apple Watch Series 6 will be faster, more water resistanton February 19, 2020 at 6:30 am
He also noted that it will feature improved water resistance, as well as faster Wi-Fi and cellular performance ... but we’ll certainly revert to the topic once new details emerge.
- High-density neutrophils in MGUS and multiple myeloma are dysfunctional and immune-suppressive due to increased STAT3 downstream signalingon February 6, 2020 at 2:18 am
The revert of immune-suppression was more efficient ... Thirty healthy subjects (age > 45 years) were recruited in the study as controls. Whole blood (40 ml) was collected from healthy ...
- Novel approach may offer a more effective way to eradicate colorectal cancer cellson February 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm
They found that some master regulator proteins involved in cellular replication helped healthy colon cells mature, or differentiate into their specific cell type, and remain healthy. One ...
- Why science is still working on that cure for cancer: It's time for a new theoryon February 1, 2020 at 8:43 pm
SMT suggested cancer was a dumb bit of broken cellular machinery ... even just the inevitable deterioration of age, can make a break in our DNA. Just about anything can result in a small ...
- Protein expression profile changes of lung tissue in patients with pulmonary hypertensionon January 31, 2020 at 1:09 am
Lung tissue specimens were collected from six patients with atrial septal defect and pulmonary hypertension (all women, with a mean age of 46.5 ± 4.7 years ... biological process, cellular component, ...
- Lithium microdose could stop Alzheimer’s from advancingon January 27, 2020 at 4:00 pm
“In addition,” they write, “NP03 reduces markers of neuroinflammation and cellular oxidative stress ... it is unlikely that any medication will revert the irreversible brain damage at ...
- Clinical lessons from the calcium-sensing receptoron January 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm
and regulate chemotaxis toward and cellular uptake of those substances ... One patient, identified at age 35, was asymptomatic despite severe hypercalcemia—that is, a serum calcium concentration ...
- GeoVax Announces Reverse Stock Spliton January 23, 2020 at 1:00 am
Following that period, the ticker symbol will revert to "GOVX ... stimulating both the humoral and cellular arms of the immune system to recognize, prevent, and control the target infection.
- Evolutionary Dynamics: Exploring the Equations of Lifeon July 19, 2019 at 11:37 pm
IN 1831, at the age of twenty-two, Charles Darwin embarked on his journey ... These rules specify a deterministic cellular automaton. John von Neumann stood at the beginning of both game theory and ...
- The Power of Networks: Six Principles That Connect Our Liveson April 5, 2019 at 12:21 pm
This may be difficult, since it would require you to revert to landlines every time you have to contact ... By the mid-1990s, the second generation of cellular had gained momentum worldwide. The two ...
via Google News and Bing News