Researchers at Oregon State University have designed and fabricated the world’s smallest electro-optic modulator, which could mean major reductions in energy used by data centers and supercomputers.
An electro-optic modulator plays the key role in fiber optic networks. Just as a transistor is a switch for electronic signals, an electro-optic modulator is a switch for optical signals. Optical communication uses light, so the modulator turns on and off the light that sends a stream of binary signals over optical fibers.
The new modulator is 10 times smaller and can potentially be 100 times more energy efficient than the best previous devices. It is roughly the size of a bacterium, measuring 0.6 by 8 microns.
“This is by far the most exciting research I have ever done because of the impact the device will bring and because of the challenge it was for design and fabrication,” said Alan Wang, associate professor of electrical engineering in the OSU College of Engineering.
The paper was published by Nano Letters.
For their invention, Wang and his doctoral student, Erwen Li, leveraged technology also developed at Oregon State: transparent conductive oxide materials. The structure they invented uses a transparent conductive oxide gate instead of a typical metal gate to combine a metal-oxide semiconductor capacitor with an ultra-compact photonic crystal nanocavity.
The design, combining innovations in materials and devices, enhanced the interaction between electronics and photonics, which enabled the researchers to create a smaller electro-optic modulator.
Wang had consulted his colleagues in industry about whether he was on the right track for developing something they could use.
“They told me reducing the size and reducing the energy consumption is going to be the trend in the next five to 10 years in industry. So this is exactly the kind of device they’re looking for,” Wang said.
The Latest on: Energy consumption
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy consumption
- Energy as a Service (EaaS) Market Overview and Scope by 2023|CAGR of 31.2%on November 15, 2019 at 2:30 am
and increasing adoption of renewable source of energy consumption. Additionally, the North America is expected to have a significant market share in the global EaaS market and likely to be a remain ...
- Energy Management Systems Market Analysis – Worldwide Opportunities, Revenue, Production, Demand and Geographical Forecast To 2024on November 14, 2019 at 8:06 pm
The country targets to cut its energy consumption to 20% by 2020. Qatar contributed over 5% of Middle East & Africa energy management systems market share in 2015. Growing population coupled with ...
- Energy consumption in domestic buildings built in 2014 – 2016 (England and Wales)on November 14, 2019 at 7:17 pm
Experimental statistics on energy gas and electricity consumption of domestic new builds in England and Wales. Includes statistics on average energy consumption per square meter of floor area, with ...
- Arizona Corporate Excellence 2019 Innovator of the Year: Elevation Home Energy Solutions banks on poweron November 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Andersen said customers often have a misconception of how they can save money on energy consumption in their homes. “People feel like they have to sweat to save money, we want people to enjoy savings ...
- Allegro’s New Green BLDC Fan Driver Lowers Data Center Energy Use and Improves Safetyon November 14, 2019 at 4:27 pm
The end result is lower energy consumption and lower data center costs. Simplifying Solutions The traditional solution to preventing reverse rotation of broken fans is adding external circuitry to ...
- The Energy Globe Award, the World's Most Prestigious Environmental Prize, Has Been Awarded to the Best Solutions for Combating Climate Changeon November 14, 2019 at 4:00 pm
There were two winners in the Air category; from Austria an automated painting system for ships which substantially minimises energy consumption and therefore emissions, and the Espoo project for an ...
- Fossil Fuel Subsidies And Impact Greenwashing Are Stalling The Energy Transitionon November 14, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Since 1800, worldwide consumption of fossil fuels has increased 1,300-fold. Access to this cheap energy has lifted people out of poverty and catalyzed economic growth, wealth creation and healthier ...
- Yeager's Viewpoint: Supporting energy efficiency companies in regionon November 14, 2019 at 9:07 am
Heating and cooling operations are the largest source of energy consumption in the entire country. Poorly designed systems and old, outdated systems in commercial and industrial settings could be ...
- One Thing We Can Do: Balance Our Energy Demandon November 14, 2019 at 8:57 am
Dr. Otto and her colleagues defined lifestyle-related emissions as anything related to personal consumption choices — the heating and energy used at home, or in personal vehicles, or the emissions ...
via Bing News