Researchers at Oregon State University have designed and fabricated the world’s smallest electro-optic modulator, which could mean major reductions in energy used by data centers and supercomputers.
An electro-optic modulator plays the key role in fiber optic networks. Just as a transistor is a switch for electronic signals, an electro-optic modulator is a switch for optical signals. Optical communication uses light, so the modulator turns on and off the light that sends a stream of binary signals over optical fibers.
The new modulator is 10 times smaller and can potentially be 100 times more energy efficient than the best previous devices. It is roughly the size of a bacterium, measuring 0.6 by 8 microns.
“This is by far the most exciting research I have ever done because of the impact the device will bring and because of the challenge it was for design and fabrication,” said Alan Wang, associate professor of electrical engineering in the OSU College of Engineering.
The paper was published by Nano Letters.
For their invention, Wang and his doctoral student, Erwen Li, leveraged technology also developed at Oregon State: transparent conductive oxide materials. The structure they invented uses a transparent conductive oxide gate instead of a typical metal gate to combine a metal-oxide semiconductor capacitor with an ultra-compact photonic crystal nanocavity.
The design, combining innovations in materials and devices, enhanced the interaction between electronics and photonics, which enabled the researchers to create a smaller electro-optic modulator.
Wang had consulted his colleagues in industry about whether he was on the right track for developing something they could use.
“They told me reducing the size and reducing the energy consumption is going to be the trend in the next five to 10 years in industry. So this is exactly the kind of device they’re looking for,” Wang said.
The Latest on: Energy consumption
- Younos: Water and energy consumption in the era of globalization on September 18, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Younos is founder and president, Green Water-Infrastructure Academy, Washington, D.C. and former research Pprofessor of Water Resources at Virginia Tech. He lives in Blacksburg. In our modern world, w... […]
- Gyrfalcon Technology Enables High-Performance AI at the Edge with Lowest Energy Consumption on September 18, 2018 at 7:44 am
MILPITAS, Calif., Sept. 18, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Gyrfalcon Technology Inc. (GTI) today emerged from relative stealth mode to become the first company with commercially available hardware that delivers ... […]
- Study shows synchronous human energy consumption over the past 10,000 years on September 18, 2018 at 4:23 am
Erick Robinson, a UW postdoctoral researcher, collects a radiocarbon sample from a 1,000-year-old roasting feature in Dinosaur National Monument in Utah. Robinson is a co-author of a paper, titled ... […]
- UW Researchers Part of Study that Shows Synchronous Human Energy Consumption Over the Past 10,000 Years on September 17, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Erick Robinson, a UW postdoctoral researcher, collects a radiocarbon sample from a 1,000-year-old roasting feature in Dinosaur National Monument in Utah. Robinson is a co-author of a paper, titled “Th... […]
- Intel CR Certifies as Carbon Neutral by Reducing Energy Consumption at 50% on September 12, 2018 at 9:40 am
Recently, Intel Costa Rica managed to become certified as a Carbon Neutral company, after implementing a series of measures at its facilities in San Antonio de Belén. This is due to the technology use... […]
- The U.S. energy system uses a lot of water — but exactly how much? on September 12, 2018 at 8:22 am
Their work covers 99.4 percent of U.S. primary energy consumption in 2014 and is the first known comprehensive estimate of total water withdrawal and consumption by U.S. energy systems ... […]
- New Fuel Efficiency Rules Could Boost Oil Consumption on September 11, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Thus, reductions to consumption will improve long-range energy security, and they will better insulate consumers against oil price shocks. There are also the environmental issues to consider. […]
- Empower drive 'helps cut 4.6pc electricity consumption' on September 11, 2018 at 10:20 am
The three-month campaign targets more than 85,000 end-users. It urges them to set their air conditioners at 24 degrees Celsius in summer, to reduce energy consumption and consumer bill value. This sup... […]
- Wyoming's Massive Energy Consumption Drives $24 Billion in Power Projects, an Industrial Info News Alert on September 7, 2018 at 6:58 am
SUGAR LAND, Texas, Sept. 7, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Researched by Industrial Info Resources (Sugar Land, Texas)--Wyoming only narrowly trailed Louisiana in energy consumption per capita in 2016 ... […]
- In 2017, consumption of renewable energy resources in Latviahas risen by 17.8% on September 6, 2018 at 7:35 am
Data compiled by the Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia show that in 2017 gross consumption of renewable energy sources (RES) in Latvia amounted to 80.5 petajoules (PJ). Compared to 2016, consumptio... […]
via Google News and Bing News