Researchers at Oregon State University have designed and fabricated the world’s smallest electro-optic modulator, which could mean major reductions in energy used by data centers and supercomputers.
An electro-optic modulator plays the key role in fiber optic networks. Just as a transistor is a switch for electronic signals, an electro-optic modulator is a switch for optical signals. Optical communication uses light, so the modulator turns on and off the light that sends a stream of binary signals over optical fibers.
The new modulator is 10 times smaller and can potentially be 100 times more energy efficient than the best previous devices. It is roughly the size of a bacterium, measuring 0.6 by 8 microns.
“This is by far the most exciting research I have ever done because of the impact the device will bring and because of the challenge it was for design and fabrication,” said Alan Wang, associate professor of electrical engineering in the OSU College of Engineering.
The paper was published by Nano Letters.
For their invention, Wang and his doctoral student, Erwen Li, leveraged technology also developed at Oregon State: transparent conductive oxide materials. The structure they invented uses a transparent conductive oxide gate instead of a typical metal gate to combine a metal-oxide semiconductor capacitor with an ultra-compact photonic crystal nanocavity.
The design, combining innovations in materials and devices, enhanced the interaction between electronics and photonics, which enabled the researchers to create a smaller electro-optic modulator.
Wang had consulted his colleagues in industry about whether he was on the right track for developing something they could use.
“They told me reducing the size and reducing the energy consumption is going to be the trend in the next five to 10 years in industry. So this is exactly the kind of device they’re looking for,” Wang said.
The Latest on: Energy consumption
via Google News
The Latest on: Energy consumption
- BP Issues Its Energy Outlook 2019 Report on February 19, 2019 at 2:12 am
... energy penetrates the global energy system is faster than for any fuel in history. - Demand for oil grows in the first half of the Outlook period before gradually plateauing, while global coal con... […]
- Climate-friendly labriculture depends on an energy revolution, says Oxford study on February 19, 2019 at 2:08 am
Sustainable labriculture depends on clean energy and new tech To provide a rigorous comparison ... This is due to the fact that even if consumption of meat were entirely phased out the warming from ca... […]
- Alternative Energy market forecast 2019-2025 examined in new market research report on February 19, 2019 at 1:20 am
name=1695540 This report studies the global market size of Alternative Energy in key regions like North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America and Middle East & Africa, focuses on the ... […]
- Clyde CISD receives $50,000 through energy efficient deal to help provide more school resources on February 19, 2019 at 1:00 am
However, before the deal, the district sought out companies to help reduce its energy consumption rates, due to challenges from aging infrastructure, like the HVAC units at both the junior high school ... […]
- Growing Adoption of Digital Textile Printing Equipment to Reduce Water, Ink and Energy Consumption on February 18, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Valley Cottage, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/18/2019 -- Increasing adoption of technologies by consumer and digital transformation to assist the demand for digital textile printing equipment The report covers ... […]
- Op-Ed: Measuring Energy Efficiency the Right Way on February 18, 2019 at 8:55 pm
The state needs objective, independent, and timely evaluations of these initiatives Energy production and consumption account for about two-thirds of the world’s anthropogenic greenhouse-gas (GHG) emi... […]
- Bitmain Unveils Its Latest Energy-Efficient Mining Chip for Bitcoin on February 18, 2019 at 3:55 pm
A statement from Bitmain on its blog reads: "The new BM1397 chip requires lower power and can offer an energy consumption to computing ratio as low as 30J/TH. This is a 28.6 percent improvement in ... […]
- Indonesia : Indonesian presidential hopefuls vow energy self-sufficiency through palm on February 18, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Feb 18, 2019 (Euclid Infotech Ltd via COMTEX) -- Indonesia's two presidential candidates pledged on Sunday to achieve energy self-sufficiency by boosting ... the country to contain biodiesel to boost ... […]
- BP forecasts renewable energy will be largest source of power by 2040 on February 18, 2019 at 12:12 pm
U.S. energy consumption will drop by an estimated 1 percent by 2040, but the United States is expected to maintain its position as the world's biggest producer of liquid fuels and natural gas. BP pred... […]
via Bing News