Uranium can perform reactions that previously no one thought possible, which could transform the way industry makes bulk chemicals, polymers, and the precursors to new drugs and plastics, according to new findings from The University of Manchester.
Writing in the journal Nature Communications, the chemists have discovered that uranium can perform reactions that used to be the preserve of transition metals such as rhodium and palladium. And because uranium sits between different types of reactivity of lanthanides and transition metals it might be able to combine the best of both to give new ways of producing materials and chemicals.
This discovery is also profiled in a new video which is part of a series produced by the School of Chemistry. Other videos show how chemists at Manchester have developed the world’s smallest fuel powered motor and identified that Parkinson’s sufferers can have a unique smell identifying the disease – before any medical professional can see symptoms.
The YouTube series attempts to put world class scientific papers into words that anyone can understand.
The CAMERA (Chemistry at Manchester Explains Research Advances) series of films is available to watch and subscribe to here.
The latest discovery means that industry might now be in a position to develop new compounds that can’t be made in any other way.
What’s more, uranium is one of the elements we know the least about and while it is associated with nuclear weapons and nuclear power, the new discovery suggests other uses may be on the horizon.
Steve Liddle, Professor and Head of Inorganic Chemistry, and author of the paper, said: “This discovery will lead to some monumental developments that could change the way we live. Development work like this really could pave the way for new medicines and also the creation of truly biodegradable hard plastic.
“It is comparable to the discovery of liquid crystal displays, which happened 20 years before everyone sat up and realised that they could be used in modern computer displays and TVs.”
The Latest on: Uranium
- Rio Tinto to pay $221M to fund ERA uranium mine closureon November 15, 2019 at 9:01 am
Rio Tinto (RIO +1.4%) says it will subscribe to $221M rights shares of Energy Resources of Australia, which has been seeking funds to close and rehabilitate the controversial Ranger uranium mine in ...
- Ex-IAEA Official: Iran’s Apparent Explanation for Uranium at Tehran Site is Dubiouson November 14, 2019 at 7:53 pm
WASHINGTON - A former IAEA official says diplomats working with the U.N. nuclear agency do not believe Iran’s apparent explanation for the presence of manmade uranium particles at a site in southern ...
- Rio Tinto Supports ERA's Plans To Raise Funds For Ranger Uranium Rehabilitationon November 14, 2019 at 7:15 pm
(RTTNews) - Rio Tinto (RTPPF.PK, RIO.L, RIO, RTNTF.PK) said that it will support the uranium producer Energy Resources of Australia Limited's or ERA plans for a renounceable entitlement offer to raise ...
- Rio Tinto to invest $221 million in Energy Resources to help mend uranium mineon November 14, 2019 at 5:16 pm
(Reuters) - Rio Tinto said on Friday it will invest $221 million to subscribe to rights shares of majority-owned Energy Resources of Australia Ltd (ERA), which has been desperately seeking funds to ...
- ALX Uranium Corp. Receives Results of 2019 Drilling Program at Close Lake Uranium Project in the Athabasca Basinon November 14, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - November 14, 2019) - ALX Uranium Corp. (TSXV: AL) (FSE: 6LLN) OTC: ALXEF) ("ALX" or the "Company") announced today that it has received results from ...
- Lawmakers digging into federal uranium contract for Centrus Energyon November 14, 2019 at 3:12 pm
The DoE issued a notice of intent in January to award a no-bid $115M contract to Centrus to demonstrate production of a new fuel called high-assay low-enriched uranium that one day could be used in ...
- One Thing To Remember About The Uranium Energy Corp. (NYSEMKT:UEC) Share Priceon November 14, 2019 at 12:05 pm
If you own shares in Uranium Energy Corp. (NYSEMKT:UEC) then it's worth thinking about how it contributes to the volatility of your portfolio, overall. In finance, Beta is a measure of volatility.
- U.S. lawmakers question why Centrus awarded federal uranium contracton November 13, 2019 at 12:36 pm
The Department of Energy (DOE) issued a notice of intent in January to award a no-bid $115 million contract to Centrus to demonstrate by June 2022 production of a new fuel called high-assay ...
- Iran significantly increases production of enriched uraniumon November 12, 2019 at 11:44 am
Iran has increased its production of low-enriched uranium more than ten-fold after restarting an underground lab, the head of the country's nuclear program has said. Tehran had been producing ...
- Investigators found uranium particles at a secret facility in Iran, suggesting a further rejection of the nuclear dealon November 12, 2019 at 5:31 am
The International Atomic Energy Agency said uranium particles had been discovered at a facility not previously declared by Iranian authorities.
via Google News and Bing News