Vast quantities of medicines and renewable fuels could be produced by algae using a new gene-editing technique, a study suggests.
Scientists have devised a method that could lead to cheap, environmentally friendly ways of making products for use in the cosmetics, plastics and food industries.
Algae are highly prized for their ability to make useful products, but a lack of engineering tools has hindered basic research and growth of the industry for decades, researchers say.
Edinburgh scientists sought to improve the efficiency of gene-editing to increase yields of products currently made using algae, including some food supplements.
The advance could also enable algae to make new products, such as medicines.
The technique uses molecules that act like scissors to cut DNA – called CRISPR molecules – which allow researchers to add new genes or modify existing ones. Until now, scientists have struggled to develop a technique that works efficiently in algae.
To overcome this, the team added CRISPR molecular scissors and short pieces of DNA directly to algae cells to make precise modifications to the genetic code.
Their new method is more specific and increases efficiency 500-fold compared to previous techniques.
The discovery could unleash the potential of the global algae industry, projected to be worth $1.1billion by 2024.
The team developed its technique to work in a widely used species of algae – called Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. The method could potentially also be used to engineer crops to increase yields, improve disease resistance or enable plants to thrive in harsh climates.
The study, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, was funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and Scottish Bioenergy.
Our findings mark a key advance in large-scale algal genome engineering. Our technique is applicable to a wide range of species, and could pave the way for the development of designer algae, which has many biotechnology applications.
The Latest on: Designer algae
- These toxin absorbing algae coated tiles could be the next big eco-friendly trend!on October 17, 2019 at 7:12 am
A part of the Bio-Integrated Design Lab at the Bartlett School of Architecture, Malik came up with this tile-based, modular bioreactor wall system for cleaning water through ‘bioremediation’. The ...
- These algae tiles developed by an Indian architect can absorb pollutants from wateron October 17, 2019 at 12:28 am
These algae are suspended within a biological scaffold of a seaweed-based hydrogel that keeps the algae alive and is completely recyclable and biodegradable. These tiles can also be built easily, ...
- These algae tiles can turn any building into a pollution-scrubbing machineon October 14, 2019 at 8:15 am
The aquatic plants referred to as algae are single-celled, nonflowering organisms, untethered to the ocean floor beneath them. A phenomenon known as bioremediation allows these microorganisms to ...
- A celebration of seaweedon October 9, 2019 at 7:00 pm
but nobody was talking about the algae. And that’s what mostly we were encountering,” the San Francisco photographer, author and designer says. “I happened to hold up a scrap to the sky and I was just ...
- The 100% Biodegradable Vollebak T-Shirt Is Made From Plants and Algaeon October 8, 2019 at 1:00 pm
“You’re unlikely to forget the day you buried your T-shirt in the garden,” Vollebak says. The T-shirt logo design is wholly fabricated from algae grown in bioreactors, which is made into a printable ...
- Florida's Blue Green Algae Task Force Wants Tighter Septic and Stormwater Ruleson October 8, 2019 at 6:41 am
Ron DeSantis created the panel in April to deal with worsening water conditions, a promise he made days after an election that coincided with a widespread red tide off Florida’s west coast and slimy ...
- The Machine That Uses Algae to Eat Carbon Dioxideon October 2, 2019 at 9:33 am
But a prototype is still just a prototype, and Libby says the company has no plans to start selling quite yet. The next step, in spring 2020, will be to make the design for the algae boxes open-source ...
- Blue-green algae task force wants more data on health impacts of harmful bloomson September 26, 2019 at 5:48 am
Algae blooms in an Everglades reservoir intended to help stop polluted discharges ... Improving advisories and overall communication with the public about the threat of harmful blooms is also on the ...
- Algae Lamps are a work of art and natural shade in oneon September 19, 2019 at 7:39 am
Related: This biodegradable T-shirt is made from trees and algae Nea Studio, a name that gives the nod to its founder Nina Edwards Anker, began in 2006 with a focus on sustainable design and has ...
- The in-flight dinner tray you can EAT: Designers create partially edible meal holder out of algae, banana leaves and coconut woodon September 18, 2019 at 12:16 am
The main body of the tray design is manufactured from recycled coffee grounds, with side-dishes made from wheat bran, algae and banana leaves. Meanwhile, milk and sauce capsules are made of a soluble ...
via Google News and Bing News