Scientists from the University of Surrey have produced non-metal electro-catalysts for fuel cells that could pave the way for production of low-cost, environmentally friendly energy generation.
In a study published in the Journal of Power Sources, the team from Surrey worked with colleagues from Queen Mary University of London to create low-cost carbon based electro-catalysts for anion exchange membrane fuel cells. The catalyst helped to achieve a power density performance of 703 watts per square centimetre squared (mW cm-2) from the fuel cells – this compares to a performance of just 50 mW cm-2 from previous studies in this area.
The catalysts were made by using a cheap clay material called Halloysite as the template, urea as the nitrogen source and furfural (an organic chemical that can be produced from oats, wheat bran or sawdust) as the carbon source. This was then processed into a fine black powder and used as nitrogen-doped carbon electro-catalyst.
The project was supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council’s SUPERGEN Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Hub.
Fuel cells are currently used as a low carbon energy technology for electricity generation in transportation and stationary applications, but the use of precious-metal-based catalysts, especially platinum, makes the technology expensive and less sustainable.
Dr Qiong Cai, Senior Lecturer at the University of Surrey, said: “We are delighted with the results of our non-metal electro-catalysts, which shows what can be achieved with such low-cost carbon materials. We could only achieve this via collaborations with Prof Magdalena Titirici (Professor in Sustainable Materials Chemistry at QMUL) who provided advice in material synthesis, and Professor John Varcoe’s team (Professor of Materials Chemistry at the University of Surrey) who provided the high-performance anion-exchange membranes and ionomers and supported the test of these materials in the anion-exchange membrane fuel cells.
“We believe that more work needs to be done, but our work demonstrates that low cost catalysts can give high performances in fuel cells and can help reduce the impact of climate change on our planet.”
The Latest on: Fuel cells
- Hydrogen fuel cell industry gets boost in Yangtze River Delta on May 25, 2019 at 7:21 am
SHANGHAI, May 25 (Xinhua) -- Chinese provinces in the east will speed up the application of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, said a new regional plan launched Friday. The plan outlines steps from this ... […]
- Horizon Fuel Cell Announces Breakthrough in Automotive Fuel Cells on May 24, 2019 at 12:00 am
Shanghai, China, May 24, 2019 --(PR.com)-- Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies has announced a breakthrough in PEM fuel cell stack technology, aiming to accelerate the mass commercialization of fuel cell ... […]
- Global Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cell Market 2019-2023| 21% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavio on May 23, 2019 at 2:59 am
The global phosphoric acid fuel cell market is expected to post a CAGR of close to 21% during the period 2019-2023, according to the latest market research report by Technavio. This press release ... […]
- Europe Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Market to witness robust growth during forecast period on May 23, 2019 at 12:22 am
May 23, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- Fuel cell electric vehicle market in the Europe will witness significant growth owing to supportive government projects for developing zero emission fuel cell ... […]
- Fuel Cell Market will grow at CAGR of 20.9% to... on May 22, 2019 at 10:30 pm
Dallas, Texas, May 23, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- If hydrogen is used as a fuel then the only by-product obtained are heat, water, and electricity. Power potential of fuel cells include systems as small ... […]
- Fuel Cell Vehicle Market is Projected to Exhibit a CAGR of 33.8% in 2018 - 2026 on May 22, 2019 at 6:48 am
May 22, 2019 (Wired Hearld via COMTEX) -- The Fuel Cell Vehicle Market - Global Industry Size, Share, Trends, and Forecast 2018 - 2026 report has been added to Acumen Research and Consulting's offers. ... […]
- Toyota expects fuel cell prices to match hybrids on May 22, 2019 at 3:19 am
GOTHENBURG, Sweden -- Toyota believes the price of fuel cell cars will match those of hybrids within 10 years, the automaker's European head of sales and marketing, Matt Harrison, said. "By the ... […]
- Ballard to Work With ABB on Design and Launch of Fuel Cell-Powered River Push Boat in France on May 21, 2019 at 3:48 pm
Ballard is planning to deliver 2 of its next-generation 200-kilowatt fuel cell modules in 2020, which will provide propulsion power for the vessel. The river push boat will be owned and operated ... […]
- BRIEF-Ballard To Work With ABB On Design And Launch Of Fuel Cell-Powered River Push Boat In France on May 21, 2019 at 3:14 pm
* BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC - CO, ABB TO DEVELOP, LAUNCH A ZERO-EMISSION RIVER PUSH BOAT, PLANNED FOR DEPLOYMENT IN FRANCE IN 2021 TO PUSH RIVER BARGES * BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS - RIVER PUSH BOAT WILL ... […]
- GLOBAL HYDROGEN AND FUEL CELLS MARKET RESEARCH REPORT - FORECAST TO 2025 on May 21, 2019 at 1:15 am
A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that combines hydrogen fuel with oxygen to produce electricity, heat, and water. The fuel cell is very similar to a battery, wherein an electrochemical ... […]
via Google News and Bing News