Scientists from the University of Surrey have produced non-metal electro-catalysts for fuel cells that could pave the way for production of low-cost, environmentally friendly energy generation.
In a study published in the Journal of Power Sources, the team from Surrey worked with colleagues from Queen Mary University of London to create low-cost carbon based electro-catalysts for anion exchange membrane fuel cells. The catalyst helped to achieve a power density performance of 703 watts per square centimetre squared (mW cm-2) from the fuel cells – this compares to a performance of just 50 mW cm-2 from previous studies in this area.
The catalysts were made by using a cheap clay material called Halloysite as the template, urea as the nitrogen source and furfural (an organic chemical that can be produced from oats, wheat bran or sawdust) as the carbon source. This was then processed into a fine black powder and used as nitrogen-doped carbon electro-catalyst.
The project was supported by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council’s SUPERGEN Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Hub.
Fuel cells are currently used as a low carbon energy technology for electricity generation in transportation and stationary applications, but the use of precious-metal-based catalysts, especially platinum, makes the technology expensive and less sustainable.
Dr Qiong Cai, Senior Lecturer at the University of Surrey, said: “We are delighted with the results of our non-metal electro-catalysts, which shows what can be achieved with such low-cost carbon materials. We could only achieve this via collaborations with Prof Magdalena Titirici (Professor in Sustainable Materials Chemistry at QMUL) who provided advice in material synthesis, and Professor John Varcoe’s team (Professor of Materials Chemistry at the University of Surrey) who provided the high-performance anion-exchange membranes and ionomers and supported the test of these materials in the anion-exchange membrane fuel cells.
“We believe that more work needs to be done, but our work demonstrates that low cost catalysts can give high performances in fuel cells and can help reduce the impact of climate change on our planet.”
The Latest on: Fuel cells
- Hydrogen cars: How the fuel cell works, where the UK's filling stations are and how expensive they are to runon November 23, 2020 at 2:15 am
The Government has announced that it is accelerating the ban on new petrol and diesel cars. It now plans to outlaw all new petrol and diesel cars by 2030, with hybrid models banned by 2035.As a result ...
- Fuel Cell Catalyst Market Size, Share Report 2020 Shipments, Price, Revenue and Gross profit till 2025 With Impact of COVID-19on November 22, 2020 at 7:09 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “ Fuel Cell Catalyst Market ” research report offers the breakdown of the industry by market size, rate of development, ...
- Ineos signs hydrogen fuel cell deal for its off-road vehicleon November 22, 2020 at 4:04 pm
UK chemical company will use Hyundai’s cells in its new Grenadier ...
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe's Ineos Grenadier to be powered by HYDROGEN: British billionaire signs deal with Korean giant Hyundai to use its fuel cell technology in his green 4X4on November 22, 2020 at 4:01 pm
It's a particularly smart move by Sir Jim - Britain's fifth-richest man with an estimated personal fortune of £12.2billion - whose refinery network already produces 300,000 tons of hydrogen a year.
- Fuel Cell Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type ; Application ; and End-Useron November 20, 2020 at 4:51 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Fuel Cell Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type ; Application ; and End-User" - Factors such as the rising need ...
- Global Fuel Cell Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Analysis - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 20, 2020 at 4:42 am
The “Fuel Cell Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type (Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cell, Solid Oxide Fuel Cell, and Others); Application; and End-User” report has been added to ...
- Arcola Energy Introduces Production-Ready Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powertrain Platform for Heavy-Duty Vehicleson November 19, 2020 at 10:04 pm
Arcola Energy, a leading specialist in hydrogen and fuel cell systems integration, has developed a proprietary hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) powertrain platform, designed for vehicle applications requiring ...
- Why Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stocks Jumped -- Then Gave Most of It Back -- on Thursdayon November 19, 2020 at 3:07 pm
At first, Thursday looked like it was going to be another great day for hydrogen fuel cell stocks. But then came the downgrade. In early trading, shares of hydrogen economy leaders Plug Power ( NASDAQ ...
- General Motors aims to commercialize battery, fuel cell technologies, be automaker of the futureon November 19, 2020 at 8:31 am
The 112-year-old automaker is back in the business of making product for others, developing green powertrains for the future -- to make some green.
- Fuel Cells Market Size 2020 By Share, Industry Statistics, Trends Evaluation, Business Challenges and Investment Opportunities Analysis till 2026on November 18, 2020 at 5:06 pm
The latest report as Fuel Cells Market acknowledges Size, Application Segment, Type, Regional Outlook, Market Demand, Latest Trends, and Fuel Cells Industry Share and Revenue by Manufacturers, Leading ...
via Google News and Bing News