Physicists at Aalto University have made a breakthrough in revising methods largely discarded 15 years ago.
They have discovered a microscopic mechanism that will allow gallium nitride semiconductors to be used in electronic devices that distribute large amounts of electric power.
The trick is to be able to use beryllium atoms in gallium nitride. Gallium nitride is a compound widely used in semiconductors in consumer electronics from LED lights to game consoles. To be useful in devices that need to process considerably more energy than in your everyday home entertainment, though, gallium nitride needs to be manipulated in new ways on the atomic level.
“There is growing demand for semiconducting gallium nitride in the power electronics industry. To make electronic devices that can process the amounts of power required in, say, electric cars, we need structures based on large-area semi-insulating semiconductors with properties that allow minimising power loss and can dissipate heat efficiently. To achieve this, adding beryllium into gallium nitride – or ‘doping’ it – shows great promise,” explains Professor Filip Tuomisto from Aalto University.
Experiments with beryllium doping were conducted in the late 1990s in the hope that beryllium would prove more efficient as a doping agent than the prevailing magnesium used in LED lights. The work proved unsuccessful, however, and research on beryllium was largely discarded.
Working with scientists in Texas and Warsaw, researchers at Aalto University have now managed to show – thanks to advances in computer modelling and experimental techniques – that beryllium can actually perform useful functions in gallium nitride. The article published in Physical Review Letters shows that depending on whether the material is heated or cooled, beryllium atoms will switch positions, changing their nature of either donating or accepting electrons.
“Our results provide valuable knowledge for experimental scientists about the fundamentals of how beryllium changes its behaviour during the manufacturing process. During it – while being subjected to high temperatures – the doped compound functions very differently than the end result,” describes Tuomisto.
If the beryllium-doped gallium nitride structures and their electronic properties can be fully controlled, power electronics could move to a whole new realm of energy efficiency.
“The magnitude of the change in energy efficiency could as be similar as when we moved to LED lights from traditional incandescent light bulbs. It could be possible to cut down the global power consumption by up to ten per cent by cutting the energy losses in power distribution systems,” says Tuomisto.
The Latest on: Global power consumption
- China coal-fired power capacity still rising, bucking global trend - studyon November 19, 2019 at 6:34 pm
But despite a rapid rise in renewable energy capacity and a transition to natural gas for household heating, coal consumption has continued to increase. China approved new 40 coal mines in the first ...
- The global advanced lead-acid battery market at a CAGR of over 13% during the forecast periodon November 19, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Read the full report: https://www.reportlinker.com/p05827573/?utm_source=PRN Global Advanced Lead-Acid Battery Market: Overview Change in the energy mix There is an increase in the demand and ...
- Global Blockchain in Energy Market Anticipated to Reach $6.29 Billion by 2024on November 19, 2019 at 8:40 am
There has been a growing need to maintain the demand for energy with adequate supply, by reducing the overall energy consumption and increasing energy ... LO3 Energy, Inc., Power Ledger, E.ON SE, ...
- Report: Global Blockchain in Energy Market Anticipated to Reach $6.29 Billion by 2024on November 19, 2019 at 8:18 am
The report by BIS Research titled “Global Blockchain in Energy ... generation leads to unstable power supply and increase in the demand-supply gap, according to BIS Research. There has been a growing ...
- The Future of the Global Biochar Market, 2019 to 2025: Growth Opportunities, Competition & Trends - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 18, 2019 at 8:56 am
The global demand for Biochar is forecast to report strong growth driven by consumption in major emerging markets ... However, challenges such as increasing buyer bargaining power, emphasis on ...
- Global Optical Interconnect Market: Trends, Share, Size & Growth 2019-2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 18, 2019 at 6:47 am
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/av7wkm ...
- Global Optical Interconnect Market Study, 2019 - Market Projected to Reach $14.7 Billion by 2024, Rising at a CAGR of 17.7%on November 18, 2019 at 5:13 am
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research.
- Global Indoor Cycling Bike market 2019: Size, Share, Demand, Trends, Growth, Consumption and 2025 forecasts explored in latest researchon November 17, 2019 at 8:05 pm
As people have become health conscious, their purchasing power has also increased with high disposable income ... North America is leading amongst all regions when it comes to Indoor Cycling Bike ...
- Global Wind Power Equipment Market 2024: Applications, Industry Specifications and Trends | Phoenix Contact, ABB, Schneider Electricon November 14, 2019 at 3:18 am
The report includes deep analysis of micro-economic and macroeconomic factors impacting the growth of the global Wind Power Equipment market. It also offers analysis of production, sales, and ...
- Global Smartphone Power Management IC Market Is Likely To Reach 5838.0 M USD In Terms Of Revenue Till 2025on November 14, 2019 at 1:15 am
However, this enhanced performance results in high power consumption and thereby battery drainage ... Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa) Global Smartphone Power Management IC market competition by top ...
via Google News and Bing News