Physicists at Aalto University have made a breakthrough in revising methods largely discarded 15 years ago.
They have discovered a microscopic mechanism that will allow gallium nitride semiconductors to be used in electronic devices that distribute large amounts of electric power.
The trick is to be able to use beryllium atoms in gallium nitride. Gallium nitride is a compound widely used in semiconductors in consumer electronics from LED lights to game consoles. To be useful in devices that need to process considerably more energy than in your everyday home entertainment, though, gallium nitride needs to be manipulated in new ways on the atomic level.
“There is growing demand for semiconducting gallium nitride in the power electronics industry. To make electronic devices that can process the amounts of power required in, say, electric cars, we need structures based on large-area semi-insulating semiconductors with properties that allow minimising power loss and can dissipate heat efficiently. To achieve this, adding beryllium into gallium nitride – or ‘doping’ it – shows great promise,” explains Professor Filip Tuomisto from Aalto University.
Experiments with beryllium doping were conducted in the late 1990s in the hope that beryllium would prove more efficient as a doping agent than the prevailing magnesium used in LED lights. The work proved unsuccessful, however, and research on beryllium was largely discarded.
Working with scientists in Texas and Warsaw, researchers at Aalto University have now managed to show – thanks to advances in computer modelling and experimental techniques – that beryllium can actually perform useful functions in gallium nitride. The article published in Physical Review Letters shows that depending on whether the material is heated or cooled, beryllium atoms will switch positions, changing their nature of either donating or accepting electrons.
“Our results provide valuable knowledge for experimental scientists about the fundamentals of how beryllium changes its behaviour during the manufacturing process. During it – while being subjected to high temperatures – the doped compound functions very differently than the end result,” describes Tuomisto.
If the beryllium-doped gallium nitride structures and their electronic properties can be fully controlled, power electronics could move to a whole new realm of energy efficiency.
“The magnitude of the change in energy efficiency could as be similar as when we moved to LED lights from traditional incandescent light bulbs. It could be possible to cut down the global power consumption by up to ten per cent by cutting the energy losses in power distribution systems,” says Tuomisto.
The Latest on: Global power consumption
- High Frequency Power Amplifier Market Forecast Report 2018-2025: Leading Players - Epic, Murata, Infineon, Avogo, GaAs, Anadigics on December 20, 2018 at 10:24 pm
4 Global High Frequency Power Amplifier Supply (Production), Consumption, Export, Import by Region (2018-2025) 5 Global High Frequency Power Amplifier Production, Revenue (Value), Price Trend by Type ... […]
- Oil Pan Gasket Market Global Reputation, Future Update, Sales, Shares and Trends 2018-2025 on December 20, 2018 at 6:41 am
Overview of the gradual shift in the customer preference, spending power, consumption volume and production capability helps business owners understand where the market will be heading in the years to ... […]
- The Global Industrial Agitators Market is poised to grow strong during the forecast period 2017 to 2027 on December 19, 2018 at 3:40 pm
NEW YORK, Dec. 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --The Global Industrial Agitators Market is poised to ... include growing demand for mixing substances of varied densities with low power consumption and steadily ... […]
- Global coal demand up for second year in a row on December 19, 2018 at 5:44 am
"The story of coal is a tale of two worlds with climate action policies and economic forces leading to closing coal power plants ... for 14 percent of global primary energy. That is equivalent to abou... […]
- Global Power Electronics Market Forecast to 2023: Upgrade of Power Infrastructure and Focus Toward the Use of Renewable Power Sources Driving Growth on December 18, 2018 at 9:57 am
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/wmgn5g/global_power?w=5 Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehens... […]
- The Global Market for Spintronics: Growth, Trends and Forecast (2018-2023) - Expected to Exceed 47% CAGR - ResearchAndMarkets.com on December 18, 2018 at 3:32 am
The "Global Spintronics Market - By Type of Devices (Metal-based ... In addition, demand of spintronics in portable devices has increased in past few years, due to its low power consumption tendency. ... […]
- Global $17+ Billion Spintronics Market by Type of Device, Application and Region – Forecast to 2023 on December 17, 2018 at 11:45 pm
The global spintronics market was valued at ... in portable devices has increased in past few years, due to its low power consumption tendency. Giant magneto resistance-based devices (GMRs ... […]
- Global Concrete Grinder industry sales, revenue, gross margin and market share scrutinized in new research on December 17, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Key companies profiled in this report are Bosch Power Tools, Edco ... by Region (2013-2018) 4 Global Concrete Grinder Supply (Production), Consumption, Export, Import by Region (2013-2018) 5 Global Co... […]
- Global and regional Power Semiconductors Market production, sales and consumption status report 2018-2023 on December 17, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Power Semiconductors Market Report analyse current as well as future aspects of the Power Semiconductors Industry. The Power Semiconductors Market provides Power Semiconductors demand, trends and segm... […]
- Global Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles Market Research Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain and forecast 2023 on December 17, 2018 at 1:03 pm
this report focuses on consumption, market share and growth rate of Power Electronics for Electric Vehicles market in each application and can be divided into: • Application 1 ,Application 2 ,Applicat... […]
via Google News and Bing News