Physicists at Aalto University have made a breakthrough in revising methods largely discarded 15 years ago.
They have discovered a microscopic mechanism that will allow gallium nitride semiconductors to be used in electronic devices that distribute large amounts of electric power.
The trick is to be able to use beryllium atoms in gallium nitride. Gallium nitride is a compound widely used in semiconductors in consumer electronics from LED lights to game consoles. To be useful in devices that need to process considerably more energy than in your everyday home entertainment, though, gallium nitride needs to be manipulated in new ways on the atomic level.
“There is growing demand for semiconducting gallium nitride in the power electronics industry. To make electronic devices that can process the amounts of power required in, say, electric cars, we need structures based on large-area semi-insulating semiconductors with properties that allow minimising power loss and can dissipate heat efficiently. To achieve this, adding beryllium into gallium nitride – or ‘doping’ it – shows great promise,” explains Professor Filip Tuomisto from Aalto University.
Experiments with beryllium doping were conducted in the late 1990s in the hope that beryllium would prove more efficient as a doping agent than the prevailing magnesium used in LED lights. The work proved unsuccessful, however, and research on beryllium was largely discarded.
Working with scientists in Texas and Warsaw, researchers at Aalto University have now managed to show – thanks to advances in computer modelling and experimental techniques – that beryllium can actually perform useful functions in gallium nitride. The article published in Physical Review Letters shows that depending on whether the material is heated or cooled, beryllium atoms will switch positions, changing their nature of either donating or accepting electrons.
“Our results provide valuable knowledge for experimental scientists about the fundamentals of how beryllium changes its behaviour during the manufacturing process. During it – while being subjected to high temperatures – the doped compound functions very differently than the end result,” describes Tuomisto.
If the beryllium-doped gallium nitride structures and their electronic properties can be fully controlled, power electronics could move to a whole new realm of energy efficiency.
“The magnitude of the change in energy efficiency could as be similar as when we moved to LED lights from traditional incandescent light bulbs. It could be possible to cut down the global power consumption by up to ten per cent by cutting the energy losses in power distribution systems,” says Tuomisto.
The Latest on: Global power consumption
- Consumer electronics to dominate global 3D sensor marketon June 25, 2020 at 9:17 pm
Consumer electronics is expected to hold a major share in the global 3D sensor market by end users during the forecast period The application areas of 3D sensors in consumer electronics include mobile ...
- Global Alternate Marine Power Market (2019 to 2027) - Impact of COVID-19on June 25, 2020 at 10:51 am
The "Alternate Marine Power - Global Market Outlook (2019-2027)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Anglo American to buy wind power energy from Brazil's Casa dos Ventoson June 25, 2020 at 6:29 am
Global miner Anglo American has reached an agreement to buy 95 megawatts of wind power from Brazil's Casa dos Ventos for 20 years, starting in 2022, according to a statement issued on Thursday.
- Compassionate Consumption: What Is It and Why It Won’t Solve Society’s Problemson June 25, 2020 at 4:06 am
But all crises have winners and losers; and there is a distinct possibility that compassionate consumption puts us on the side of the powerful and exploitative, not the vulnerable and disenfranchised.
- Power Quality Meters Market 2020 Research, Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply and Consumption Analysis 2025on June 25, 2020 at 2:29 am
Global “Power Quality Meters Market” report provides an in-depth analysis of all market dynamics including drivers ...
- Solar-Power Costs Falling Even Faster Than Expected Due to Viruson June 24, 2020 at 10:32 am
The cost of U.S. solar power is dropping faster than expected as the coronavirus stifles demand, according to a report from Wood Mackenzie.
- Current Market Scenario of Global Underground Power Cables Market 2020-2025on June 24, 2020 at 1:32 am
This report also researches and evaluates the impact of Covid 19 outbreak on the Underground Power Cables industry involving potential opportunity and challenges drivers and risks We present the ...
- Global Power Device Analyzer Market Is Expected to Reach USD 609.67 Million by 2027 : Fior Marketson June 23, 2020 at 10:10 am
Power analyzers are capable of measuring several parameters associated with power consumption and output at frequencies ... To increase their market position in the global Power Devices Analyzer ...
- Power Rental Market Top Leading Companies, Consumption, Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends Forecast to 2026on June 23, 2020 at 2:54 am
The global power rental market is expected to gain momentum from the growing demand from those industries that receive ...
- Insights on the Alternate Marine Power Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Wartsila, Wabtec & VINCI Energies Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 22, 2020 at 3:15 am
The "Alternate Marine Power - Global Market Outlook (2019-2027)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Global Alternate Marine ...
via Google News and Bing News