Physicists at Aalto University have made a breakthrough in revising methods largely discarded 15 years ago.
They have discovered a microscopic mechanism that will allow gallium nitride semiconductors to be used in electronic devices that distribute large amounts of electric power.
The trick is to be able to use beryllium atoms in gallium nitride. Gallium nitride is a compound widely used in semiconductors in consumer electronics from LED lights to game consoles. To be useful in devices that need to process considerably more energy than in your everyday home entertainment, though, gallium nitride needs to be manipulated in new ways on the atomic level.
“There is growing demand for semiconducting gallium nitride in the power electronics industry. To make electronic devices that can process the amounts of power required in, say, electric cars, we need structures based on large-area semi-insulating semiconductors with properties that allow minimising power loss and can dissipate heat efficiently. To achieve this, adding beryllium into gallium nitride – or ‘doping’ it – shows great promise,” explains Professor Filip Tuomisto from Aalto University.
Experiments with beryllium doping were conducted in the late 1990s in the hope that beryllium would prove more efficient as a doping agent than the prevailing magnesium used in LED lights. The work proved unsuccessful, however, and research on beryllium was largely discarded.
Working with scientists in Texas and Warsaw, researchers at Aalto University have now managed to show – thanks to advances in computer modelling and experimental techniques – that beryllium can actually perform useful functions in gallium nitride. The article published in Physical Review Letters shows that depending on whether the material is heated or cooled, beryllium atoms will switch positions, changing their nature of either donating or accepting electrons.
“Our results provide valuable knowledge for experimental scientists about the fundamentals of how beryllium changes its behaviour during the manufacturing process. During it – while being subjected to high temperatures – the doped compound functions very differently than the end result,” describes Tuomisto.
If the beryllium-doped gallium nitride structures and their electronic properties can be fully controlled, power electronics could move to a whole new realm of energy efficiency.
“The magnitude of the change in energy efficiency could as be similar as when we moved to LED lights from traditional incandescent light bulbs. It could be possible to cut down the global power consumption by up to ten per cent by cutting the energy losses in power distribution systems,” says Tuomisto.
The Latest on: Global power consumption
- EDF: The second EPR reactor at China’s Taishan nuclear power plant about to enter into commercial operationon September 6, 2019 at 12:57 pm
Taishan’s two reactors are capable of supplying the Chinese power grid with up to 24 TWh of CO 2-free electricity a year, tantamount to the annual electricity consumption of 5 million Chinese ...
- Equinix Recognized by EPA for Leading Green Power Useon September 6, 2019 at 5:01 am
Reaching 100% clean and renewable energy across its global portfolio Deploying best-in-class data center energy efficiency technologies and innovations for the reduction of energy consumption around .
- Self Balancing Scooters Market 2019: Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Segmentation, Opportunities, Forecast To 2025on September 6, 2019 at 3:38 am
There were tons of loopholes in the initial product. The limited distance, high power consumption, low charging speeds, and a slew of other factors hurt the self-balancing scooters market. The latest ...
- RPT-COLUMN-Sluggish oil consumption to keep pressure on prices: Kempon September 5, 2019 at 6:15 pm
as well as boosting spending power in consumer countries. But until the global economy recovers momentum, oil consumption growth is likely to remain well below trend, keeping prices under pressure.
- Global Coupled Inductor Market | Analysis, Consumption, Outlook, CAGR, Trends and Forecast Analysis 2019-2028on September 5, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Coupled coils can be used as a basic model for transformers, an important part of power distribution systems and electronic ... This report provides detailed historical analysis of global market for ...
- Data Center Power Market Report: Global Outlook & Forecast 2019-2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 4, 2019 at 7:45 am
... of renewable energy sources to power data center operations is a major driver of the global data center power market. The growing power consumption in facilities, which increases carbon emission ...
- Global Electric Motor Market Analysis, 2018-2025: Segmented by Type, Output Power, Voltage Range, Application, and Speed - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 2, 2019 at 9:29 am
The global electric motor market size was valued at $ ... production of electric motors is witnessing a shift from the conventional methods (in which power consumption, efficiency, and noise was of ...
- Data Center Power Market - Global Outlook and Forecast 2019-2024on September 2, 2019 at 5:50 am
... to power data center operations is a major driver of the global data center power market. The growing power consumption in facilities, which increases carbon emission in the atmosphere ...
- Rental Power Market 2019: Top Leading Countries, Companies, Consumption, Drivers, Trends Analysis, Revenue, Challenges and Global Forecast 2026on August 29, 2019 at 2:34 am
Aug 29, 2019 (The Expresswire) -- Top Players in Rental Power Market are Caterpillar Inc., Atlas Copco, Cummins Inc., Aggreko, American Honda Motor Company, Inc., Pramac, Kirloskar Electric Co. Ltd., ...
- Backup Power UPS Market 2019 Global Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast to 2024on August 27, 2019 at 4:41 am
Request a Free Sample Report @ https://www.wiseguyreports.com/sample-request/3906883-global-backup-power-ups-market-data-survey-report-2013-2025 Power Consumption continues to soar high due to the ...
via Google News and Bing News