Last month, Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane and caused significant damage to the island’s connectivity infrastructure. In the weeks following this disaster, the Project Loon team has been working with the Government of Puerto Rico, the FCC, the FAA, FEMA, spectrum partners and international aviation authorities to bring balloon powered internet to the island to help. Thanks to their support, we are now collaborating with AT&T to deliver emergency internet service to the hardest hit parts of the island.
Working with AT&T, Project Loon is now supporting basic communication and internet activities like sending text messages and accessing information online for some people with LTE enabled phones. This is the first time we have used our new machine learning powered algorithms to keep balloons clustered over Puerto Rico, so we’re still learning how best to do this. As we get more familiar with the constantly shifting winds in this region, we hope to keep the balloons over areas where connectivity is needed for as long as possible.
We’ve never deployed Project Loon connectivity from scratch at such a rapid pace, and we’re grateful for the support of AT&T and the many other partners and organizations that have made this possible. Thanks to the Pan-American and Puerto Rican governments’ aviation authorities and air traffic controllers, who enabled us to send small teams of balloons from our launch site in Nevada to Puerto Rico. Thanks also to SES Networks and Liberty Cablevision who helped quickly set up essential ground infrastructure so that the balloons could get internet connectivity.
We plan to continue to offer emergency internet connectivity in areas where it’s needed for as long as it is useful and we’re able to do so. Project Loon is still an experimental technology and we’re not quite sure how well it will work, but we hope it helps get people the information and communication they need to get through this unimaginably difficult time.
About Project Loon
Project Loon is a network of stratospheric balloons designed to deliver internet connectivity to rural and remote areas worldwide. Loon balloons sail on winds in the stratosphere, extending the reach of our telecommunication partner’s networks into areas that are currently unconnected.
Since our first sizable tests in New Zealand in 2013, Loon balloons have flown more than 26 million kms around the world. Thanks to improvements in balloon design and durability, many balloons stay airborne for more than 100 days, with our record breaking balloon staying aloft for 190 days. This is the second time that Project Loon has been used to connect people after a disaster. In early 2017, Project Loon delivered basic internet connectivity to tens of thousands of people in flood-affected zones in Peru in partnership with the Peruvian government and Telefonica.
Learn more: Turning on Project Loon in Puerto Rico
Current update on Project Loon
The Latest Bing News on:
- Uncool Can Beat Flashy Techon November 20, 2020 at 9:59 am
This article is part of the On Tech newsletter. You can sign up here to receive it weekdays. One of my missions is to get more people to appreciate the wonders of uncool technology. This is not only ...
- 4G Fleeton November 19, 2020 at 6:48 am
Find out why Loon made this year's list ...
- To Bring Loons Back To Mass., Biologists Must Convince The Birds This Is Homeon November 18, 2020 at 6:32 pm
By the time the project is complete, approximately 60 more loons will call Massachusetts home. Chris Persico gently places the loon chick onto the boat. (Jesse Costa/WBUR) As bugs flit across the ...
- Alphabet will use beams of light to deliver internet in Kenyaon November 16, 2020 at 9:11 pm
If you’ve forgotten all about it, we don’t blame you: the acronym doesn’t stick in the mind quite like Google Fiber or Project Loon. To solve the problem, Alphabet’s ‘X’ division has ...
- Project Loon Will Float LTE To Puerto Ricoon November 15, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The newest name on the list? The X division of Alphabet, who want to help fill the huge communications gap using Project Loon, their high-altitude balloon network. It looks like X is going to get ...
- Alphabet delivers wireless Internet over light beams from 20km awayon November 10, 2020 at 11:30 am
Taara grew out of X's Project Loon, which had developed a balloon-based network to cover remote areas. As Alphabet explains, "the Loon team needed to figure out a way to create a data link between ...
- Google is working on delivering super-fast internet in Africa with experimental light beamson November 10, 2020 at 9:29 am
Through “Project Taara,” Alphabet ... it will cost up to $12,900 per kilometer of fiber optic cable laid. Courtesy: Loon Google Loon. Getting millions of Africa online also comes at an ...
- Alphabet’s X partners with Econet Group to roll out Project Taara wireless light-beam broadband in Africaon November 10, 2020 at 4:31 am
Alphabet’s X “Moonshot Factory” subsidiary has a lot of cutting-edge projects in development, so it’s always exciting when one of them gets ready for real-world deployment. On Tuesday, X announced ...
- Grant will help construct National Loon Center in Crosslakeon November 10, 2020 at 1:29 am
To be located in Crosslake, the center will focus on loon species protection and freshwater habitat conservation through citizen science and technology. The entire project is to be built on the U ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Contract for the Web
- EXCLUSIVE: CIA Awards Secret Multibillion-Dollar Cloud Contracton November 20, 2020 at 1:04 pm
The agency has awarded a contract to bring foundational cloud services from multiple cloud service providers into the intelligence community.
- CIA quietly awards C2E cloud contract possibly worth billionson November 20, 2020 at 12:44 pm
The CIA has awarded part of its potentially multibillion-dollar Commercial Cloud Enterprise (C2E) contract to five of the largest cloud service providers. The agency issued places on ...
- CIA awards intel community’s cloud contract to several vendorson November 20, 2020 at 12:42 pm
The Central Intelligence Agency has awarded its new multivendor cloud contract to a few companies, the spy organization confirmed Friday. Microsoft, Amazon Web Services, IBM and Oracle all confirmed ...
- Joe Harris Contract a Priority for Nets in Free Agency, GM Sean Marks Sayson November 20, 2020 at 12:33 pm
The Brooklyn Nets have no interest in losing out on the shooting of Joe Harris in free agency. "We hope that we can continue to build with Joe," general manager Sean Marks said, per Malika Andrews of ...
- CIA makes awards for intelligence community's next massive cloud contracton November 20, 2020 at 12:02 pm
The CIA takes the next step in its own and the intelligence community’s commercial cloud computing journey with the award of its so-called C2E contract that could be worth billions in totality.
- CIA awards cloud computing contract worth billions to firms including Amazon, Microsoft, Googleon November 20, 2020 at 11:42 am
The Central Intelligence Agency has awarded a cloud computing contract said to be worth "billions" to five of America's biggest tech companies.
- CIA awards multibillion-dollar cloud contract to multiple vendorson November 20, 2020 at 10:42 am
CIA officials have confirmed that the cloud provider portion of its massive C2E contract has been awarded. Microsoft, AWS and IBM confirmed they are among the winners.
- Bitcoin.com Announces Cooperation Agreement With Japanese Media CoinOtakuon November 20, 2020 at 9:33 am
PRESS RELEASE. Bitcoin.com, the go-to web portal for everything bitcoin, announced it reached a cooperation agreement with Japanese media CoinOtaku. A ...
- 76ers Rumors: 'Real Chance' Nerlens Noel Could Sign PHI Contract in Free Agencyon November 20, 2020 at 4:19 am
The Philadelphia 76ers are reportedly considering pursuing Nerlens Noel when the free-agency period begins later ...
- Accenture Federal Services Wins Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board Contract to Improve Retirement Outcomes for Civil Service and Military 401Kon November 19, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Accenture was awarded the Recordkeeping Services Acquisition contract by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.