Last month, Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane and caused significant damage to the island’s connectivity infrastructure. In the weeks following this disaster, the Project Loon team has been working with the Government of Puerto Rico, the FCC, the FAA, FEMA, spectrum partners and international aviation authorities to bring balloon powered internet to the island to help. Thanks to their support, we are now collaborating with AT&T to deliver emergency internet service to the hardest hit parts of the island.
Working with AT&T, Project Loon is now supporting basic communication and internet activities like sending text messages and accessing information online for some people with LTE enabled phones. This is the first time we have used our new machine learning powered algorithms to keep balloons clustered over Puerto Rico, so we’re still learning how best to do this. As we get more familiar with the constantly shifting winds in this region, we hope to keep the balloons over areas where connectivity is needed for as long as possible.
We’ve never deployed Project Loon connectivity from scratch at such a rapid pace, and we’re grateful for the support of AT&T and the many other partners and organizations that have made this possible. Thanks to the Pan-American and Puerto Rican governments’ aviation authorities and air traffic controllers, who enabled us to send small teams of balloons from our launch site in Nevada to Puerto Rico. Thanks also to SES Networks and Liberty Cablevision who helped quickly set up essential ground infrastructure so that the balloons could get internet connectivity.
We plan to continue to offer emergency internet connectivity in areas where it’s needed for as long as it is useful and we’re able to do so. Project Loon is still an experimental technology and we’re not quite sure how well it will work, but we hope it helps get people the information and communication they need to get through this unimaginably difficult time.
About Project Loon
Project Loon is a network of stratospheric balloons designed to deliver internet connectivity to rural and remote areas worldwide. Loon balloons sail on winds in the stratosphere, extending the reach of our telecommunication partner’s networks into areas that are currently unconnected.
Since our first sizable tests in New Zealand in 2013, Loon balloons have flown more than 26 million kms around the world. Thanks to improvements in balloon design and durability, many balloons stay airborne for more than 100 days, with our record breaking balloon staying aloft for 190 days. This is the second time that Project Loon has been used to connect people after a disaster. In early 2017, Project Loon delivered basic internet connectivity to tens of thousands of people in flood-affected zones in Peru in partnership with the Peruvian government and Telefonica.
Learn more: Turning on Project Loon in Puerto Rico
Current update on Project Loon
The Latest Bing News on:
- Project Loon Will Float LTE To Puerto Ricoon November 24, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The newest name on the list? The X division of Alphabet, who want to help fill the huge communications gap using Project Loon, their high-altitude balloon network. It looks like X is going to get ...
- Harin blames Maithripala for failure of Google Loon projecton November 23, 2020 at 10:17 am
Former Minister Harin Fernando today blamed former President Maithripala Sirisena for the failure of the Google Loon project in Sir Lanka.
- Scientists Want To Bring Loons Back To Massachusettson November 22, 2020 at 5:28 am
(SOUNDBITE OF LOON TREMOLO) SHARON ... In the early days of the project, the team struggled just to get the birds to eat. They'd put live fish into the pen a few times a day, but the loons ...
- Thanksgiving: Dozens of Dine Out, Takeout and Cook-at-Home Ideason November 21, 2020 at 5:25 am
Takeout packages for two people are $80, or $150 for four. This Louisville favorite has a complete takeout Thanksgiving meal that will serve four to six people for $80. Call or order online by ...
- Uncool Can Beat Flashy Techon November 20, 2020 at 10:36 am
The Information, a technology news publication, wrote this week about Loon, a nearly decade-old project from Google’s parent company to beam internet signals to remote places using high-altitude ...
- 4G Fleeton November 19, 2020 at 6:40 am
Originally a Google “moonshot” project conceived in 2011, Alphabet subsidiary Loon aims to extend Internet access to underserved locales by deploying a network of giant stratospheric balloons.
- Pandemic projects: Deck reconstruction uncovers special memoryon November 19, 2020 at 5:30 am
What is your pandemic project? Have you used your time at home ... “In 1986 he designed and drew the blueprints for a beautiful home at Loon Lake,” said Marie. “Jim did all the construction ...
- Giant space antenna designed to beam 5G to Earthon November 18, 2020 at 2:02 am
Internet balloons, too, can operate in the stratosphere. Alphabet's Loon balloon project successfully delivers Internet from about 12 miles up, for example.
- To Bring Loons Back To Mass., Biologists Must Convince The Birds This Is Homeon November 16, 2020 at 3:59 pm
By the time the project is complete, approximately 60 more loons will call Massachusetts home. Chris Persico gently places the loon chick onto the boat. (Jesse Costa/WBUR) As bugs flit across the ...
- Springfield seeks feedback on proposed South Limestone projecton November 16, 2020 at 12:47 pm
The proposed project aims to install a raised median from Leffel Lane to John Street as well as install left turn loons at the Leffel Lane and John Street intersections. A loon is defined as a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Contract for the Web
- Tatum, Barkley have great exchange during 'The Match 3'on November 27, 2020 at 3:26 pm
Jayson Tatum shouted out Charles Barkley during Friday's "The Match 3," and Barkley had a perfect response on the broadcast.
- NBA rumors: Real Madrid's Gabriel Deck leaving for the NBA?on November 27, 2020 at 3:23 am
Real Madrid lost star guard Facu Campazzo to the NBA (the Denver Nuggets to be specific) and there is a reported possibility that this may also happen with another player of the team. According to ...
- UFCW ignores strike vote by West Virginia Kroger workers, pushes through sellout agreementon November 26, 2020 at 5:07 pm
The contract rammed through by the United Food and Commercial Workers would impose lower wages and higher health care costs onto essential workers in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- General Dynamics Information Technology Awarded $241 Million Multi-Cloud Contract by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Serviceson November 25, 2020 at 8:05 am
PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT), a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE:GD), announced today it has been awarded a ...
- Comodo and Multi-Visions (Canada) Enter into Distribution Agreement for North Americaon November 24, 2020 at 8:50 am
News Direct--Comodo, the world’s leader of next-generation cybersecurity announced a distribution partnership with Multi-Visions (Canada) for North America. Together Comodo an ...
- Industry Pro Newsletter: A SAG-AFTRA/AEA Agreement, the Long Road to Recovery, and Introducing Stage Mag from BroadwayWorld!on November 23, 2020 at 8:13 am
Happy Thanksgiving week to our readers in the United States! With continued news about the development of an effective vaccine and the conversation turning to how the vaccine will be deployed globally ...
- Orange Business Services Forms Global Strategic Collaboration Agreement with Amazon Web Services to Accelerate Customers’ Innovation in the Cloudon November 23, 2020 at 6:01 am
Orange Business Services has announced a global strategic collaboration agreement with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to help enterprises accelerate their digital transformation and leverage the benefits ...
- The significance of the Regional Economic Partnership Agreementon November 20, 2020 at 1:24 pm
Massimiliano Calì examines the significance of the Regional Economic Partnership Agreement, the world's largest trading bloc.
- CIA makes awards for intelligence community's next massive cloud contracton November 20, 2020 at 12:02 pm
The CIA takes the next step in its own and the intelligence community’s commercial cloud computing journey with the award of its so-called C2E contract that could be worth billions in totality.
- Accenture Federal Services Wins Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board Contract to Improve Retirement Outcomes for Civil Service and Military 401Kon November 19, 2020 at 1:59 pm
Accenture was awarded the Recordkeeping Services Acquisition contract by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.