University of Liverpool researchers, working with F2G Limited (Eccles, Manchester), have developed a new antifungal drug to help in the treatment of life threatening invasive fungal infections such as invasive aspergillosis.
Invasive fungal infections are common and often lethal. Despite optimal medical care mortality is 20-30% at six weeks and dramatically rises to 80-100% for drug resistant infection.
These infections occur most commonly in the context of leukemia and bone marrow transplantation and often in young patients with otherwise curable disease.
The researchers, led by Professor William Hope from the University’s Antimicrobial Pharmacodynamics and Therapeutics (APT) Group, have characterised the biochemical and physiologic effects (pharmacodynamics) of F901318, which is the lead compound of the new class of drugs termed the ‘orotomides’.
The ‘orotomides’, discovered by F2G Limited, have a novel mechanism of action which is the specific biochemical interaction through which a drug substance produces its pharmacological effect.
This is the first new class of antifungal agent to be discovered in the last three decades.
The study, which was supported by a research grant by F2G, has been published in mBio.
APT’s work provides the underpinning evidence for efficacy and dosage justification for the very first patients receiving the new drug. Such information is required by regulatory agencies such as the European Medicines Agency and the Food and Drug Administration before clinical studies can proceed.
Professor Hope, said: “Antifungal resistance represents a major global clinical challenge. This study provides the necessary information to enable F901318 to be developed for clinical use.”
Learn more: Researchers help develop new antifungal drug
The Latest on: Antifungal drug
- Antifungal Drug Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants Abbott Laboratories, Pfizer, Novartison January 23, 2020 at 12:52 pm
The Exploration study offers in-depth assessment of Global Antifungal Drug Market and helps market participants to gain strong insights of the industry to make valuable decision. The study highlights ...
- Busted: Sale of unregistered products containing abortion drug misoprostolon January 23, 2020 at 6:39 am
The total number of pills seized was 1,430, with each pill selling at RM175. Other unregistered drugs seized included antibiotics, anti-fungal medicines and health supplements, with all items worth a ...
- Antifungal Drugs Market by Top Key Players and Application with Trend and Growth by 2027 Forecastson January 23, 2020 at 3:42 am
According to the report, the global antifungal drugs market accounted for $14.23 billion in 2017 and is anticipated to reach $17.72 billion by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 3.7% during the forecast ...
- Expert Evaluation Clarifies Phase 3 Results and Provides Strong Support for MOB-015on January 21, 2020 at 10:21 pm
STOCKHOLM, Jan. 22, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Moberg Pharma AB (OMX: MOB) has now completed the expert evaluation of the results from the North American Phase 3-study. The analysis conducted with key ...
- Pharma firms not making enough progress against superbugs: reporton January 21, 2020 at 6:04 am
Drug companies are not making progress against the spread of antibiotic resistance at a scale and speed great enough to tackle the global health threat posed by superbugs, a key benchmark analysis ...
- Mycovia Pharmaceuticals Expands Commercialization Team with Strategic New Hireson January 21, 2020 at 5:30 am
Mycovia is developing oteseconazole (VT-1161), an oral antifungal product candidate ... is tremendous potential for its oral fungal inhibitors to treat a range of multi-drug resistant fungal pathogens ...
- Anti-Fungal Drugs Market 2016-2023 / Size, industry Trends, Outlook And Opportunityon January 21, 2020 at 4:35 am
The anti-fungal drug market caters to the infections caused due to fungal growth which in turn is primarily due to un-hygienic living conditions and unhealthy surroundings. These environments ...
- Antifungal Drugs Market Reflect Massive expansion till 2026on January 20, 2020 at 10:57 pm
Antifungal Drugs Market by Drug Class (Azoles, Echinocandins, Polyenes, Allyamines, Others), Indication, Dosage Form, Regions, Global Industry Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and ...
- ‘Eureka moment’ in valley fever case paves way for new research, treatment optionson January 19, 2020 at 1:00 pm
“He was on multiple antifungal medicines, top doses of everything ... Garcia-Lloret, who specializes in allergic diseases, suggested Actimmune, a drug treatment for immune disorders that promotes the ...
- Advisory - Pharmascience Inc. recalls one lot of prescription antifungal drug PMS-Nystatin Oral Suspension: Product may pose a choking riskon January 17, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Nystatin is a prescription antifungal drug for use by newborns, children and adults to treat and prevent fungal (candida) infections in the mouth, esophagus, stomach and intestinal tract.
via Google News and Bing News