University of Liverpool researchers, working with F2G Limited (Eccles, Manchester), have developed a new antifungal drug to help in the treatment of life threatening invasive fungal infections such as invasive aspergillosis.
Invasive fungal infections are common and often lethal. Despite optimal medical care mortality is 20-30% at six weeks and dramatically rises to 80-100% for drug resistant infection.
These infections occur most commonly in the context of leukemia and bone marrow transplantation and often in young patients with otherwise curable disease.
The researchers, led by Professor William Hope from the University’s Antimicrobial Pharmacodynamics and Therapeutics (APT) Group, have characterised the biochemical and physiologic effects (pharmacodynamics) of F901318, which is the lead compound of the new class of drugs termed the ‘orotomides’.
The ‘orotomides’, discovered by F2G Limited, have a novel mechanism of action which is the specific biochemical interaction through which a drug substance produces its pharmacological effect.
This is the first new class of antifungal agent to be discovered in the last three decades.
The study, which was supported by a research grant by F2G, has been published in mBio.
APT’s work provides the underpinning evidence for efficacy and dosage justification for the very first patients receiving the new drug. Such information is required by regulatory agencies such as the European Medicines Agency and the Food and Drug Administration before clinical studies can proceed.
Professor Hope, said: “Antifungal resistance represents a major global clinical challenge. This study provides the necessary information to enable F901318 to be developed for clinical use.”
Learn more: Researchers help develop new antifungal drug
The Latest on: Antifungal drug
- Aarti Drugs hits record high; adds 36% in six dayson October 8, 2020 at 1:46 am
Aarti Drugs surged 7.05% to Rs 1,003.85, extending gains for the sixth session. Shares of Aarti Drugs spurted 36.59% in six trading sessions from a recent closing low of Rs 734.89 hit on 29 September ...
- Global Antifungal Drug Market Is Set for a Rapid Growth and is Expected to Reach Approximately USD 14.10 Billion by 2021on October 7, 2020 at 9:21 am
Compromised immune system and torpid lifestyle to power the global antifungal drug market in the forecast period The antifungal drug market is mainly boosted by rising prevalence of fungal infection ...
- Aarti Drugs spurts 28% in five dayson October 7, 2020 at 3:17 am
Aarti Drugs is a pharmaceutical company. The company has a strong presence in the anti-diarrhea, anti-inflammatory therapeutic groups. With its manufacturing facilities at Tarapur and Sarigam, the ...
- New asthma indication for triple-ingredient inhaler may increase complicationson October 6, 2020 at 2:59 am
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the supplemental new drug application for Trelegy Ellipta for the maintenance treatment of asthma in patients ages 18 years and older. This new ...
- Global Antifungal Drugs Market to Surpass US$ 13,132.8 Mn by 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI)on September 30, 2020 at 7:46 am
The growth of the North America antifungal drugs market is attributed to launches of antifungal drugs in the U.S.
- Anti-Fungal Drugs Market Size to Touch USD 13.17 billion, with 3.3% CAGR by 2027 | Global Market Share, Trendson September 29, 2020 at 12:57 am
The global anti-fungal drugs market size is likely to reach USD 13.17 billion by 2027 on account of the increasing prevalence of skin infections worldwide. Mycosis or fungal infection is a skin ...
- Antifungal preventive drugs reduce mortality risk following lung transplantation: Studyon September 27, 2020 at 8:17 am
Antifungal preventive medications reduce mortality risk by half in the first year following lung transplantation, according to new research. The new Mayo Clinic research involved 667 patients who ...
- Addressing Challenges in Inhaled Antifungal Drug Developmenton September 18, 2020 at 9:15 am
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA, the Agency, or we) is announcing the following virtual public workshop entitled "Addressing Challenges in Inhaled Antifungal Drug Development." The purpose ...
- Antifungal Drug Market Size, Share to grow with 3.85% CAGR through 2025 - Industry Newson September 15, 2020 at 11:04 am
Sep 15, 2020 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware According to Market Study Report, Antifungal Drug Market provides a comprehensive analysis of the Antifungal Drug market segments ...
- Caffeine shot delivers wake-up call on antifungal drug resistanceon September 8, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Caffeine shot delivers wake-up call on antifungal drug resistance Date: September 9, 2020 Source: University of Edinburgh Summary: The management of fungal infections in plants and humans could be ...
via Google News and Bing News