Researchers from Genethon, the AFM-Téléthon laboratory, Inserm (UMR 1089, Nantes) and the University of London (Royal Holloway) demonstrated the efficacy of an innovative gene therapy in the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Indeed, after injecting microdystrophin (a “shortened” version of the dystrophin gene) via a drug vector, the researchers managed to restore muscle strength and stabilise the clinical symptoms in dogs naturally affected by Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
Teams at Genethon developed, in collaboration with a team at Royal Holloway University of London led by Pr. Dickson, and produced, a gene therapy drug combining an AAV-type viral vector with a shortened version of the dystrophin gene (approximately 4,000 base pairs), allowing the production of a functional protein. Dr Le Guiner’s team tested this innovative treatment in 12 dogs naturally affected by Duchenne muscular dystrophy. By injecting this microdystrophin intravenously, and hence into the whole body of the dogs, the researchers observed that dystrophin expression returned to a high level, and muscle function was significantly restored, with stabilisation of the clinical symptoms observed for over 2 years following injection of the drug. No immunosuppressive treatment was administered beforehand, and no sideeffects were observed.
Some Golden Retrievers develop Duchenne muscular dystrophy naturally. The successful treatment of these dogs, which show the same clinical symptoms as children with this disease, and are of a similar weight, is a decisive step toward developing the same treatment in children. “This preclinical study demonstrates the safety and efficacy of microdystrophin, and makes it possible to consider developing a clinical trial in patients. Indeed, this is the first time that it has been possible to treat the whole body of a large sized animal with this protein. Moreover, this innovative approach allows treatment of all patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, regardless of the genetic mutation responsible,” says Caroline Le Guiner, the main author of this study.
The Latest on: Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- 10-y-o’s ‘Joke of the Day’ is making a difference: A practical way to ‘know God’s presence’on May 22, 2020 at 4:32 am
Another aspect of the story is that Ethan is only ten, but he is finding a way to make a difference. Here’s yet another: Ethan has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Diagnosed two days before his second ...
- Santhera Completes Enrollment of Phase 3 SIDEROS Study with Puldysa® (Idebenone) in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)on May 19, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Santhera Pharmaceuticals (SIX: SANN) announces full recruitment of its Phase 3 SIDEROS study with idebenone in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). The sample-size and variability re-assessment ...
- Pfizer Posts Positive Data from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Candidate, but Still Trails Rival Sarepta Therapeuticson May 15, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Pfizer released fairly promising data from its trial for the gene therapy PF-06939926 in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. As the long code name implies, the drug is still in ...
- Pfizer says efficacy of its Duchenne gene therapy outweighs side effectson May 15, 2020 at 5:11 am
The company said steps being taken to monitor patients, as well as higher doses of steroids given to patients, appear to be working.
- Pfizer’s New Phase 1b Results of Gene Therapy in Ambulatory Boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Support Advancement into Pivotal Phase 3 Studyon May 15, 2020 at 5:00 am
Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) today announced updated Phase 1b clinical data on PF-06939926, an investigational gene therapy being developed to treat Duchen ...
- Alleviating Effects of Muscular Dystrophyon May 14, 2020 at 7:37 am
Muscular dystrophy is a debilitating muscle disorder that causes a gradual weakening of the muscles in sufferers worldwide.
- Solid Biosciences Presents Data from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Gene Therapy Program at ASGCT 23rd Annual Meetingon May 14, 2020 at 4:13 am
Virtual oral presentation reviews interim clinical biomarker data for SGT-001 and provides data on expression and co-localization of ...
- Capricor Announces Positive Top-Line Final Results from HOPE-2 Study in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treated with Lead Candidate CAP-1002on May 13, 2020 at 4:00 am
Capricor Therapeutics ("Capricor") (NASDAQ:CAPR), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the development of first-in-class ...
- Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Presents Edasalonexent, a Potential Foundational Therapy for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophyon May 12, 2020 at 5:29 am
Catabasis Pharmaceuticals Presents Edasalonexent, a Potential Foundational Therapy for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy ...
- Dyne Therapeutics Demonstrates FORCE™ Platform’s Potential to Deliver Potent Exon-Skipping Molecules Directly to Muscle to Treat Duchenne Muscular Dystrophyon May 12, 2020 at 4:49 am
Dyne Therapeutics presents data at ASGCT demonstrating improvement in muscle function in a preclinical model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD).
via Google News and Bing News