Scientists at Eindhoven University of Technology and Kent State University have developed a new material that can undulate and therefore propel itself forward under the influence of light. To this end, they clamp a strip of this polymer material in a rectangular frame. When illuminated it goes for a walk all on its own. This small device, the size of a paperclip, is the world’s first machine to convert light directly into walking, simply using one fixed light source.
The researchers publish their findings on 29 June in the scientific journal Nature.
The maximum speed is equivalent to that of a caterpillar, about half a centimeter per second. The researchers think it can be used to transport small items in hard-to-reach places or to keep the surface of solar cells clean. They placed grains of sand on the strip and these were removed by the undulating movement. The mechanism is so powerful that the strip can even transport an object that is much bigger and heavier than the device itself, uphill.
The motion of the new material is due to the fact that one side contracts in reaction to light, and the other one expands, causing it to bulge when illuminated. That deformation disappears instantaneously once the light is gone. Although the material looks transparent to the human eye, it fully absorbs the violet light the researchers used, thus creating a shadow behind it.
The scientific team, led by professor Dick Broer of Eindhoven University of Technology, was able to create a continual undulating movement, using this ‘self-shadowing’ effect. They attached a strip of the material in a frame shorter than the strip itself, causing it to bulge. Then they shone a concentrated led light on it, from in front. The part of the strip that is in the light, starts to bulge downward, creating a ‘dent’ in the strip. As a consequence, the next part of the strip comes in the light and starts to deform. This way the ‘dent’ moves backwards, creating a continual undulating movement. This sets the device in motion, walking away from the light. When the device is placed upside down, the wave travels in the opposite direction, causing it to walk towards the light.
The research team managed to reach this specific behavior of the material using ‘liquid crystals’ (familiar in liquid crystal displays; lcd’s). The principle relies on the incorporation of a fast responding light-sensitive variant in a liquid crystalline polymer network. They engineered a material in such a way that this response is translated to an instantaneous deformation of the strip when illuminated, and relaxation directly when the light is gone.
The Latest on: New material
- New company partners with local farmers to create environmentally-friendly food packagingon December 4, 2020 at 2:23 pm
After years of planning and research and work a company in Vonore is about to start producing environmentally-friendly packaging.
- This New See-Through Paddleboard Lets You See the Ocean Beneath Your Feeton December 4, 2020 at 2:10 pm
Can a simple paddleboard give you a window into the mysteries of the sea? One company thinks so. French recreation brand Loeva has created a new standing paddleboard that’s all about transparency: The ...
- Health officers in most of the San Francisco Bay Area issue new stay-at-home order as hospitals, ICU beds fillon December 4, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Health officers in most of the San Francisco Bay Area issue new stay-at-home order as hospitals, ICU beds fill ...
- Building Thermal Insulation Materials Market to Grow by $530 Million amid Ongoing Recession | Forecasting Strategies for New Normal | Technavioon December 4, 2020 at 11:40 am
The building thermal insulation materials market is expected to grow by USD 530.79 million during 2020-2024, according to Technavio. The report offers a detailed analysis of the impact of the COVID-19 ...
- This new material can store solar energy for monthson December 4, 2020 at 5:04 am
Researchers have discovered a material with properties that allow it to capture solar energy and store it for several months.
- Wikipedia page for Biden’s new Covid czar scrubbed of politically damaging materialon December 3, 2020 at 3:35 pm
A Democratic consulting firm made numerous changes to Jeff Zients' page as he became a more important figure on Biden’s team this summer and fall.
- Flexible Hybrid Electronics Requires New Component Attachment Materials, Reports IDTechExon December 3, 2020 at 7:38 am
Flexible hybrid electronics (FHE) is a great example of an emerging technology that removes a previous trade-off, specifically between the flexibility of printed electronics and functionality of ...
- Harry Styles Is Definitely Hubby Material in These New Photos from Don't Worry Darlingon December 2, 2020 at 9:08 am
New photos from the set of Olivia Wilde's Don't Worry Darling show Harry Styles channeling the 1950s husband inside him. Decked out in a brown suit, with his chestnut curls slicked back, Styles looks ...
- Collins Brings New Materials for Interior Veneerson December 2, 2020 at 7:33 am
Collins Aerospace's new PricisionPlank lumber alternative can be accurately color-matched and better sized for business jet wood veneers.
- Aminé Is Adding Almost An Album Of New Material To ‘Limbo’ With A Deluxe Editionon December 1, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Music changes with the times and new trends emerge. One of the biggest ones to come out of 2020 is the new way deluxe albums are treated. Usually, a deluxe edition would come out months down the road ...
via Google News and Bing News