Measuring a set of proteins in the blood may enable earlier diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), according to a study from the Peter O’Donnell Jr. Brain Institute at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
The research found that the levels of two proteins previously identified as potential markers for ASD could help scientists accurately diagnose the disorder in approximately 75 percent of the children studied. When the two proteins are measured together, the diagnostic accuracy increased to 82 percent.
The study published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation is among several recent and ongoing efforts to improve early diagnosis of ASD by shifting focus to biological measurements instead of behavioral symptoms.
Progress in this area could lead to earlier intervention and help limit the effects of the disorder, said Dr. Dwight German, study senior author and Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern.
“ASD is a very heterogeneous disorder, and if we can identify biomarkers for even a subgroup of ASD patients, then that would be extremely helpful not only for early diagnosis but also for the development of therapeutics,” said Dr. German, whose latest research builds upon an ASD finding published last year in Scientific Reports.
ASD affects approximately 1 in 68 children in the U.S. The neurodevelopmental disorder is characterized by social interaction and communication challenges, and restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior.
Most cases are not diagnosed until about age 4, when communication and social disabilities become apparent. However, recent research offers hope that detection may be possible by age 1 by measuring brain growth.
The Latest on: Autism spectrum disorder
- Scientists succeed in testing potential brain-based method to diagnose autism on May 20, 2019 at 9:54 am
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental disorder that affects communication and interaction with other people. The National Institutes of Health estimates that 1 in 60 children in the ... […]
- Targeting Vasopressin May Improve Social Deficits in Autism on May 20, 2019 at 9:06 am
Modulation of the vasopressin pathway may be a promising new target for improving social and communication deficits in patients with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), new research suggests. Results from ... […]
- Brain Changes in Autism Traced to Specific Cell Types on May 20, 2019 at 3:36 am
Scientists have learned in recent years that autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are typically caused by changes in the genetic instructions for how the developing brain wires itself up, beginning in the ... […]
- State autism-treatment options scarce, but growing on May 18, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Source: Autism Speaks Autism spectrum disorder is a developmental disorder that can cause significant social, communication and behavioral challenges. There is often nothing about how people with ... […]
- Yamo Pharmaceuticals Presents Results from Phase 2 Study of L1-79 in Adolescents and Young Adult Males with Autism Spectrum Disorder at INSAR 2019 on May 14, 2019 at 8:17 pm
New York , May 14, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Yamo Pharmaceuticals, LLC, a clinical stage pharmaceutical company developing a novel therapy for autism spectrum disorder (ASD), announced the ... […]
- Dr. Maureen Dunne and Autism Community Ventures Introduce New Transition Scholarship Program to Support Teens With Autism Spectrum Disorders on May 13, 2019 at 5:30 pm
DOWNERS GROVE, Ill., May 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Autism Community Ventures is excited to announce that its director, Dr. Maureen Dunne, has founded a unique program called "the Transition2Success ... […]
- Autism Disorder & Treatment Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 4.37% during the forecast period 2017-2023 on May 13, 2019 at 3:03 am
Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Others), by Treatment Type (Aba, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, and Others), by Drug (SSRIs, Anti-Convulsant, Others) - Global Forecast Till 2023Market AnalysisAutism or ... […]
- Understanding autism spectrum disorder on May 12, 2019 at 8:13 am
BURLINGTON, Vt. (WCAX) Until 25 years ago, very little was understood about what we now call Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Now, there's an array of services in Vermont that support ... […]
- Ohio may allow medical marijuana for anxiety, autism spectrum disorder on May 8, 2019 at 6:05 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The State Medical Board of Ohio is expected in June to decide whether people can obtain medical marijuana for anxiety and autism spectrum disorder. On Wednesday, a committee made up ... […]
- A step toward better understanding brain anatomy of autism spectrum disorder on May 8, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) are often lumped into a single catch-all group, despite significant differences in symptom profile and severity. Further muddying the waters when ... […]
via Google News and Bing News