Deadly fungal infections are becoming resistant to common treatments, but a team of researchers from USC and from France have found a potential innovative solution.
Each year, invasive fungal infections sicken an estimated 2 million people worldwide and kill nearly 800,000 – but a team of international scientists have discovered a new approach for antifungal drug treatments.
Researchers from USC and France identified that a gene-regulating protein, Bdf1, is critical for the survival of the pathogenic fungus, Candida albicans.
“We have shown that Bdf1 is an important new target for drug design,” said Charles McKenna, a senior author of the study who is a professor of chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences in the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. “Our findings show that compounds that bind to this target will disrupt the growth of the fungus, opening the way to novel drug treatments for fungal disease.”
The French scientists who led the study with McKenna were Jérôme Govin and Carlo Petosa, both at the University of Grenoble Alpes.
Rising health threat
The fungus, C. albicans, is an aggressive pathogen that in healthy individuals is normally held in check by the immune system. However, people with a weakened immune system, including patients who have cancer, HIV or autoimmune diseases, are susceptible to the infection, which can be life-threatening, McKenna said.
The team’s findings, published on May 18 in the journal Nature Communications, may prove timely. Fungal infections such as candidiasis are increasingly resistant to drug treatments.
Each year, an estimated 46,000 patients in the United States become infected with invasive candidiasis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“When susceptible people develop candida infections, the fungus may enter the bloodstream. If treatment is unsuccessful, it has a very high mortality rate – in the 40 percent range,” McKenna said. “We have a very limited number of drugs that are effective in treating such systemic infections. Unfortunately, like many other pathogens, C. albicans is increasingly resistant to the few available drugs, raising the stakes for patients, and fresh approaches are urgently needed.”
The Latest on: Antifungal drug treatments
- CorMedix to Participate in BIO Investor Forum Digitalon October 8, 2020 at 6:12 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CorMedix Inc. (NYSE American: CRMD), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing therapeutic products for the prevention and treatment of infectious and ...
- Aarti Drugs hits record high; adds 36% in six dayson October 8, 2020 at 1:46 am
Aarti Drugs surged 7.05% to Rs 1,003.85, extending gains for the sixth session. Shares of Aarti Drugs spurted 36.59% in six trading sessions from a recent closing low of Rs 734.89 hit on 29 September ...
- Global Antifungal Drug Market Is Set for a Rapid Growth and is Expected to Reach Approximately USD 14.10 Billion by 2021on October 7, 2020 at 9:21 am
Compromised immune system and torpid lifestyle to power the global antifungal drug market in the forecast period The antifungal drug market is mainly boosted by rising prevalence of fungal infection ...
- Aarti Drugs spurts 28% in five dayson October 7, 2020 at 3:17 am
Aarti Drugs is a pharmaceutical company. The company has a strong presence in the anti-diarrhea, anti-inflammatory therapeutic groups. With its manufacturing facilities at Tarapur and Sarigam, the ...
- New asthma indication for triple-ingredient inhaler may increase complicationson October 6, 2020 at 2:59 am
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the supplemental new drug application for Trelegy Ellipta for the maintenance treatment of asthma in patients ages 18 years and older. This new ...
- Global Antifungal Drugs Market to Surpass US$ 13,132.8 Mn by 2027, Says Coherent Market Insights (CMI)on September 30, 2020 at 7:46 am
The growth of the North America antifungal drugs market is attributed to launches of antifungal drugs in the U.S.
- Onychomycosis Pipeline Market Key Players Insight, Diagnosis, Treatment Analysis 2020on September 29, 2020 at 5:58 am
Onychomycosis Pipeline Insight 2020 report provides comprehensive insights about 5 companies and 5 pipeline drugs in Onychomycosis Pipeline landscape It covers the pipeline drug profiles including ...
- Anti-Fungal Drugs Market Size to Touch USD 13.17 billion, with 3.3% CAGR by 2027 | Global Market Share, Trendson September 29, 2020 at 12:57 am
The global anti-fungal drugs market size is likely to reach USD 13.17 billion by 2027 on account of the increasing prevalence of skin infections worldwide. Mycosis or fungal infection is a skin ...
- Antifungal preventive drugs reduce mortality risk following lung transplantation: Studyon September 27, 2020 at 8:17 am
Antifungal preventive medications reduce mortality risk by half in the first year following lung transplantation, according to new research. The new Mayo Clinic research involved 667 patients who ...
- Study finds lung transplant patients not given antifungal preventive drugs have higher risk of deathon September 23, 2020 at 2:14 am
Antifungal preventive medications reduce mortality risk by half in the first year following lung transplantation, according to Mayo Clinic research involving 667 patients who received lung transplants ...
via Google News and Bing News