The system consists of tanks of fibre membranes that catch and hold contaminants—dirt, organic particles, bacteria and viruses—while letting water filter through. A community of beneficial bacteria, or biofilm, functions as the second line of defence, working in concert to break down pollutants.
“Membrane treatment can remove over 99.99 per cent of contaminants, making it ideal for making drinking water,” said project lead Pierre Bérubé, a UBC civil engineering professor who developed the system with support from the federally funded Canada-India research organization IC-IMPACTS.
Membrane water treatment is not new, but Bérubé says the modifications developed by his team, described recently in Water Research, produce an even more effective solution.
“Our system is the first to use gravity to scour and remove captured contaminants, which otherwise accumulate and clog the membrane. It’s low-maintenance and as efficient as conventional approaches that need chemicals and complex mechanical systems to keep the membranes clean,” said Bérubé. “The biofilm also helps by essentially eating away at the captured contaminants. You just open and close a few valves every 24 hours in order to ‘lift’ the water and let gravity and biology do their thing. This means significant savings in time and money over the lifetime of the system.”
West Vancouver was chosen for pilot testing because of its proximity, but the eventual goal is to install similar systems for communities where clean drinking water is hard to come by.
“Access to clean drinking water is a constant challenge for millions of people around the world. Our goal is to provide a model for low-cost, effective water treatment for communities, and to help locals help themselves as they build, operate and even expand their water treatment plants,” said Bérubé.
Learn more: UBC invention uses bacteria to purify water
The Latest on: Water purification
via Google News
The Latest on: Water purification
- Election 2020: Coachella Valley Water District directors detail plans for a new termon October 20, 2020 at 12:50 pm
CVWD constructed and implemented water treatment well ahead of the due dates given by the authorities. Some private systems like the Oasis Mobile Home Park, as well as other disadvantage communities ...
- Home Depot slashes prices on water filtration systems by up to 30%, today onlyon October 20, 2020 at 7:04 am
Today only, as part of its Special Buy of the Day, Home Depot is taking up to 30% off water filters and more. Free shipping is available for all. Our top pick is the Pelican Drinking Water ...
- Global Water and Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market (2020 to 2027) - Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 20, 2020 at 5:41 am
The "Water and Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Equipment (Membrane Separation, Disinfection), by Process, by Application, by Region, and Segment Forecasts ...
- Highly selective membranes: Researchers discover how water can affect its own filtrationon October 20, 2020 at 5:04 am
Membranes with microscopic pores are useful for water filtration. The effect of pore size on water filtration is well-understood, as is the role of ions, charged atoms that interact with the membrane.
- Global Primary Water & Wastewater Treatment Equipment Market 2020 Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Trends and Developments to 2025on October 20, 2020 at 4:36 am
MarketandResearch.biz has presented Growth 2020-2025 aims to make you knowledgeable about the market and competitive landscape which supports you with enhanced decision making. The report evaluates ...
- Global Ballast Water Treatment Market Report 2020-2025: Latest Laws to Boost the Demand for Ballast Water Treatmenton October 19, 2020 at 11:50 pm
The "Ballast Water Treatment Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecasts (2020 - 2025)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Ballast Water Treatment Market is expected to grow at ...
- How swimsuit material inspired the ‘holy grail’ of water filtrationon October 19, 2020 at 7:58 pm
Water filtration is a practice that dates back to the time of Hippocrates, and over time, researchers have worked to create more efficient and reusable filters. This year, Menachem Elimelech, ...
- United States UV Water Treatment Equipment Market Report 2020: Market Size, Growth Rate, Revenue Forecasts 2019-2026on October 19, 2020 at 4:37 am
The "2020 UV Water Treatment Equipment Market: United States" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. A comprehensive analysis of the ultraviolet watertreatment equipment market ...
- Industrial Water Purification System Market 2020 Emerging Growth, Developing Countries and Forecast 2025 | IndustryAndResearchon October 19, 2020 at 1:08 am
IndustryAndResearch, a leading market rsearch company recentally added a market report titled“Industrial Water Purification System Market Development Factors, Business Enhancement Strategies, ...
via Bing News