The system consists of tanks of fibre membranes that catch and hold contaminants—dirt, organic particles, bacteria and viruses—while letting water filter through. A community of beneficial bacteria, or biofilm, functions as the second line of defence, working in concert to break down pollutants.
“Membrane treatment can remove over 99.99 per cent of contaminants, making it ideal for making drinking water,” said project lead Pierre Bérubé, a UBC civil engineering professor who developed the system with support from the federally funded Canada-India research organization IC-IMPACTS.
Membrane water treatment is not new, but Bérubé says the modifications developed by his team, described recently in Water Research, produce an even more effective solution.
“Our system is the first to use gravity to scour and remove captured contaminants, which otherwise accumulate and clog the membrane. It’s low-maintenance and as efficient as conventional approaches that need chemicals and complex mechanical systems to keep the membranes clean,” said Bérubé. “The biofilm also helps by essentially eating away at the captured contaminants. You just open and close a few valves every 24 hours in order to ‘lift’ the water and let gravity and biology do their thing. This means significant savings in time and money over the lifetime of the system.”
West Vancouver was chosen for pilot testing because of its proximity, but the eventual goal is to install similar systems for communities where clean drinking water is hard to come by.
“Access to clean drinking water is a constant challenge for millions of people around the world. Our goal is to provide a model for low-cost, effective water treatment for communities, and to help locals help themselves as they build, operate and even expand their water treatment plants,” said Bérubé.
Learn more: UBC invention uses bacteria to purify water
The Latest on: Water purification
via Google News
The Latest on: Water purification
- Virtual Club Explores Science Of Wateron June 26, 2020 at 9:42 am
... event will offer fun scientific experiments including building self-contained water cycles and how to create a water filter, with each session building on the other. Participants are encouraged to ...
- Mayor addresses billing issues related to water utility in North Brunswickon June 26, 2020 at 8:47 am
By way of background, Womack said the water treatment plant is along the Delaware & Raritan Canal in Franklin, off Suydam Road. He said water travels to Route 27, down to Finnegans Lane ...
- Poway report shows drinking water is safe and high-qualityon June 26, 2020 at 8:34 am
The water is pumped to the Lester J. Berglund Water Treatment Plant and Lake Poway for storage. It is then treated and disinfected before being made available to customers. The report is available ...
- MoU signed between Metropolitan Corporation and the Silani Welfare Trust for rehablitation of 42 water filtration plantson June 26, 2020 at 8:04 am
MoU signed between Metropolitan Corporation and the Silani Welfare Trust for rehablitation of 42 water filtration plants ...
- Water Conservation Encouraged for Concord Consumerson June 26, 2020 at 7:36 am
One of your neighbors posted in Neighbor News. Click through to read what they have to say. (The views expressed in this post are the author’s own.) ...
- Water Filtration Pitcher Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends, Top Manufacturers, Segmentation, Revenue, Business Growth and Forecast 2025on June 26, 2020 at 6:07 am
Manhattan, New York, Analytical Research Cognizance: The global Water Filtration Pitcher market size is expected ...
- Global refrigerator water filter market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 5.3% over the forecast period from 2020-2026on June 26, 2020 at 4:43 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Refrigerator Water Filter Market: Global Industry Analysis, Trends, Market Size, and Forecasts.
- New York City Water Treatment Company Discusses Specialty Pipe Cleaningon June 24, 2020 at 6:07 pm
Cooling Tower Cleaning & HVAC Water Treatment Tower Water, a New York City water treatment solutions company, recently released a blog discussing ...
- Aquasana Introduces New Claryum Direct Connect Water Filtration Systemon June 24, 2020 at 5:12 am
PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Aquasana, a leading maker of high-performance water filtration solutions for the home, today ...
via Bing News