Demand and the need for cooling are growing as the effects of climate change intensify. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland and German company ZAE Bayern have built an emission-free, solar-powered chiller; a pilot system has been tested in Finland and Germany. The potential market is world-wide, particularly in warm countries.
The production and consumption of solar cooling are simultaneous. A property’s cooling needs are highest when the sun is shining.
VTT and German company ZAE Bayern have developed a solar-powered 10 kW chiller. This absorption chiller works in the same way as the gas refrigerators used in Finnish holiday cabins, for example. But in this case, a solar thermal collector is used instead of gas. The method requires electricity for the flow pumps only. If necessary, the chiller can also serve as a heat pump.
The results of the project showed that – to be used as a heating pump as well – an economically viable and competitive, solar-powered absorption chiller would need to be 50 kW or bigger.
Finnish company Savo-Solar Plc participated in both the planning phase and the practical tests. As a result, the company’s head office was successfully cooled using the pilot system built for the project. Savo-Solar and ZAE Bayern aim to develop a commercial product which enables users to cut their electricity bills through cooling with absolutely no need for electricity. This would also reduce emissions.
The chiller was tested as an air-conditioner for Savo-Solar’s office during the summer and for heating it during the winter. Solar collectors on the roof of the building were used to collect the required energy. If the collectors did not produce enough energy during, say, the winter, or on a cloudy day, a heat pump served as a substitute energy source. Other possible energy sources would be district heating, biofuel boilers or industrial process heat.
Examples of large, megawatt-class absorption chillers based on district heating can already be found in Helsinki and Turku in Finland.
Another practical test was performed using an absorption chiller based on a bio-boiler in ZAE Bayern’s laboratory in Munich, Germany. This system can also be supplemented with solar energy.
The Latest on: Solar cooling system
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar cooling system
- Spacewalkers complete another round of solar array battery replacementson January 22, 2020 at 1:30 pm
Once outside, the astronauts quickly made their way to the outermost set of solar arrays on the left, or port ... this one with Morgan and Italian astronaut Luca Parmitano, to complete cooling system ...
- Spacewalking Maine astronaut, colleague wrap up battery improvementson January 21, 2020 at 11:19 am
They also removed two old batteries in their second spacewalk in under a week to upgrade the station’s solar power grid. This marked the women’s third spacewalk ... The science instrument’s cooling ...
- Spacewalk begins to complete next set of solar array battery replacementson January 20, 2020 at 4:46 am
NASA is in the process of replacing 48 older-generation nickel-hydrogen batteries in the station’s solar power system with 24 more powerful lithium-ion units ... this one with Morgan and Italian ...
- Controllis introduces a family of high capacity rectifiers with seamless solar integration and prioritisation capabilityon January 17, 2020 at 9:23 am
The compact system includes highly efficient hot swappable rectifier and solar modules, n+1 redundancy, intelligent fan cooling and advanced battery monitoring and management. The system also includes ...
- Getting to Green: Adding a Solar-Energy System to Your Self-Storage Propertyon January 16, 2020 at 11:37 pm
The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that lighting, ventilation and cooling—three vital energy components ... The bottom line is your property is quite possibly a good fit for a ...
- Behind howls of solar wind, quiet chirps reveal its originson January 16, 2020 at 5:19 am
Made of electrons, protons, and heavier ions, the solar wind courses through the solar system at roughly 1 million miles per hour ... and it has a sort of internal heater that keeps it from cooling as ...
- BayWa r.e. provides solar system for Lidl’s first zero-emission retail spaceon January 16, 2020 at 2:23 am
The concept of ‘Lidl Zero’ includes using innovative climate technology, product cooling, solar photovoltaic electricity generation and a fast charger for electric cars. “A key objective of ‘Lidl Zero ...
- Empower: District cooling systems reduce water and power consumption and accelerate sustainability initiativeson January 15, 2020 at 4:49 pm
This was one of the topics discussed during the World Future Energy Summit 2020 along with energy, solar energy, water, waste and smart cities ... as well as monitor and control in and out flow of the ...
- Climate econometric models indicate solar geoengineering would reduce inter-country income inequalityon January 13, 2020 at 2:15 am
Global cooling further increases income convergence ... Following the extensive body of literature on solar geoengineering governance 45, our findings underscore that a robust system of global ...
via Bing News