Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- Cathode porosity is a missing key parameter to optimize lithium-sulfur battery energy densityon October 10, 2019 at 2:26 am
... is determined and utilized to predict the porosity to achieve a gravimetric energy density of 500 Wh kg −1. The porosity design leads to an optimized design of Li–S battery and make it more ...
- A high-energy-density and long-life lithium-ion battery via reversible oxide–peroxide conversionon October 7, 2019 at 8:13 am
All prices are NET prices. VAT will be added later in the checkout. Fig. 6: Cycling performance of half-cell (Li metal anode) and full-cell (Si anode) systems assembled with the Li 2 O–Ir–rGO cathode.
- EV makers aim to increase energy density of lithium-ion batterieson October 1, 2019 at 12:12 am
Battery cell manufacturers ... at elevated temperatures and high capacity, solid electrolytes are a technology that could further boost energy density. Interestingly, automobile OEMs appear ...
- Using high energy density material in electrode design enhances lithium sulfur batterieson September 30, 2019 at 3:45 pm
"Using high energy density material in electrode design enhances lithium sulfur batteries: A sandwich-structured electrode enhances reaction kinetics, prohibits shuttling effect, improves lithium ...
- Using high energy density material in electrode design enhances lithium sulfur batterieson September 30, 2019 at 8:06 am
To develop higher capacity batteries, researchers have looked to lithium sulfur batteries because of sulfur's high theoretical ... practical energy density of the lithium sulfur battery to three ...
- Using high energy density material in electrode design enhances lithium sulfur batterieson September 30, 2019 at 8:03 am
porous surface and high conductivity. A sandwich-structured electrode with sulfur immobilized in between PZ67 layers, PZ67/S/PZ67, improves the practical energy density of the lithium sulfur battery ...
- Hybrid cathodes improve energy density of lithium-sulfur batterieson March 25, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Normally, the sulfur in a lithium-sulfur battery is in the cathode, and these are built in one of two ways. Unfortunately though, there's a trade-off to be made – they can either have a high energy ...
- 24M Delivers First Commercial Scale, High Energy Density SemiSolid Lithium-ion Batterieson February 26, 2019 at 6:37 am
24M announced today it has developed and delivered commercially viable, high energy density lithium-ion cells. Using its novel SemiSolid lithium-ion battery design in its pilot facility, 24M achieved ...
- Lithium Ion Battery (Li-NMC, LFP, LCO, LTO, LMO, NCA) Market - Global Forecast to 2024: High Energy Density Boosts the Demand for Li-NMCon February 18, 2019 at 3:57 am
CONTACT: ResearchAndMarkets.com Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager [email protected] For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470 For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630 For GMT Office Hours ...
via Bing News