Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- Global Lithium-Ion Battery Market 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with A123 Systems LLC and Amperex Technology Ltd. | Technavioon March 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
... also provides battery systems such as 48V battery and 12V Starter Battery and battery modules such as 22S3P Module and PHEV2 Module. Amperex Technology Ltd. Amperex Technology Ltd. offers products ...
- Hierarchical porous silicon structures with extraordinary mechanical strength as high-performance lithium-ion battery anodeson March 19, 2020 at 3:15 am
The authors here construct hierarchical porous [email protected]@C microspheres as anodes for Li-ion batteries, enabling both high electrochemical performance and excellent mechanical strength. The work ...
- Huawei Launches Brand-New 100 kW High Power Density UPS Power Module, A Game-Changer for Data Centerson March 19, 2020 at 2:19 am
We keep pursuing higher power density and more advanced li-ion battery energy storage technologies in data centers, to meet the new requirements of simplified architecture, high reliability, and ...
- Battery Energy Storage Systems Market Worth USD 34.2 Billion in 2026 – GMI Researchon March 18, 2020 at 11:30 pm
“Battery Energy Storage Systems Market Worth USD 34.2 Billion in 2026 – GMI Research” New analysis from GMI Research, expects the revenue for the ...
- Prismatic LiFePO4 Battery Market Forecast 2026 High Trending Four Business Firms -Keyplayerssson March 16, 2020 at 11:09 am
Global Prismatic LiFePO4 Battery Market Prismatic LiFePO4 batteries are used in power banks, laptop battery-packs, ...
- New Solid-State Battery Tech Promises 500-Mile Range EVon March 14, 2020 at 5:06 pm
Researchers from Samsung have created a prototype of a solid-state battery that could enable EVs to drive 500 miles on a single charge ...
- Silicon Battery Market & Opportunity Assessment, 2020-2025 - Poor Cycle Life of Silicon Materials is a Major Challengeon March 12, 2020 at 11:01 am
The "Silicon Battery Market by Capacity (0-3,000 mAh, 3,000-10,000 mAh, 10,000-60,000 mAh, and 60,000 mAh & Above), Application (Consumer Electronics, Automotive, Aviation, Energy, and Medical Devices ...
- High-density hybrid powercapacitors: A new frontier in the energy raceon March 9, 2020 at 11:22 pm
To put those numbers in context, a current model commercial ultracapacitor like the DuraBlue from Maxwell offers a much, much lower energy density of just 8-10 Wh/kg but a sky-high power density ...
- Battery Manufacturing Must Take Utility-Scale Energy Storage to the Next Levelon March 9, 2020 at 1:44 pm
That’s why changes in battery manufacturing, small and nuanced as they may seem ... For example, in terms of cost, when transitioning from NMC 5-3-2 to NMC 6-3-1, you’re looking to increase energy ...
via Bing News