Researchers at The City College of New York-based CUNY Energy Institute announce the development of a novel low cost, rechargeable, high energy density battery that makes the widespread use of solar and wind power possible in the future. It is based on manganese dioxide (MnO2), an abundant, safe and non-toxic material.
In a paper in the journal “Nature Communications,” the scientists report that the uniqueness of the battery is that it is able to achieve both high cycle life and high areal capacity. Achieving high areal capacity is critical for packing a lot of battery electrodes together into a battery case. In essence a high areal capacity is required to build a real, practical battery, as opposed to a small toy battery.
Past researchers have achieved either high cycle life or high areal capacity, but never both together, the team notes.
The innovation that makes this possible is intercalating copper (Cu) into bismuth-modified ?-MnO2, which is called birnessite. The latter was discovered by Ford Motor Company in the 1980s, but it was never known how to use it at high areal capacity. This was later discovered at the CUNY Energy Institute by a team led by Sanjoy Banerjee, Distinguished Professor and director of the Institute.
The battery is intended for use at the scale of the power grid. This would make widespread use of solar and wind power possible.
CCNY research associate Gautam Yadav is the article’s lead author and principal inventor. Joshua Gallaway, Damon Turney, Michael Nyce, Jinchao Huang and Xia Wei were the other researchers.
Original paper: http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14424
Receive an email update when we add a new BATTERIES article.
The Latest on: High energy density battery
via Google News
The Latest on: High energy density battery
- Silicon Based Battery Technology Gains Momentum as Gridtential Energy and Hoppecke Battery Enter Evaluation Agreementon November 19, 2019 at 5:32 am
It is a design driven, low cost, high performance, patented energy storage solution that provides improved power density, cycle life, dynamic charge acceptance and temperature range, with up to 40% ...
- Airbus partners with Amprius on energy density battery tech | IDTechEx Research Articleon November 18, 2019 at 9:59 am
Amprius Inc.'s high energy density batteries are used for smartphones ... landscape and will be able to provide communications to the most unconnected parts of the world. Zephyr is enabled by the ...
- Profiles in Connecticut innovation: High-energy Cadenza makes power storage more efficienton November 8, 2019 at 3:07 am
She touts her firm’s technology as producing a battery that is “smaller, more compact, higher energy density, lower cost, and safer” than its competitors ... ABB (ASEA Brown Boveri), Lampe-Onnerud was ...
- Zinc-anode batteries have high energy density, low coston November 7, 2019 at 2:56 pm
Researchers working with Lynden Archer, Cornell’s James A. Friend Family Distinguished Professor of Engineering, have found a way to build a zinc-anode battery that not only has a high energy density, ...
- High-energy-density polymeric cathode for fast-charge sodium- and multivalent-ion batterieson November 4, 2019 at 7:47 am
New battery types that are most explored employ essentially the same rocking-chair ... (HATN), which has already been tested in lithium batteries and supercapacitors, where it functions as a ...
- Airbus Partners With Amprius, Leader In High Energy Density Battery Technologyon November 3, 2019 at 2:27 am
Amprius Inc.’s high energy density batteries are used for smartphones ... Zephyr is enabled by the latest in battery technology. Both the increase in production volumes of the new generation batteries ...
- EV makers aim to increase energy density of lithium-ion batterieson October 1, 2019 at 12:14 am
Battery cell manufacturers are spending ... Thanks to their high performance at elevated temperatures and high capacity, solid electrolytes are a technology that could further boost energy density.
- Using high energy density material in electrode design enhances lithium sulfur batterieson September 30, 2019 at 8:03 am
porous surface and high conductivity. A sandwich-structured electrode with sulfur immobilized in between PZ67 layers, PZ67/S/PZ67, improves the practical energy density of the lithium sulfur battery ...
- Warp Coils Seem Closer To Reality Than A Battery With Energy Density Of Gasolineon May 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Now, the whole world eagerly waits for the next big scientific breakthrough that will, overnight, give us a battery that will be light, cheap to produce, and easy to recycle (or dispose of) while ...
via Bing News