Researchers at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden have demonstrated efficient solar energy storage in a chemical liquid. The stored energy can be transported and then released as heat whenever needed.
The research is now presented on the cover of the scientific journal Energy & Environmental Science.
?Many consider the sun the energy source of the future. But one challenge is that it is difficult to store solar energy and deliver the energy ‘on demand’.
A research team from Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden, has shown that it is possible to convert the solar energy directly into energy stored in the bonds of a chemical fluid – a so-called molecular solar thermal system. The liquid chemical makes it possible to store and transport the stored solar energy and release it on demand, with full recovery of the storage medium. The process is based on the organic compound norbornadiene that upon exposure to light converts into quadricyclane.
‘The technique means that that we can store the solar energy in chemical bonds and release the energy as heat whenever we need it.’ says Professor Kasper Moth-Poulsen, who is leading the research team. ‘Combining the chemical energy storage with water heating solar panels enables a conversion of more than 80 percent of the incoming sunlight.’
The research project was initiated at Chalmers more than six years ago and the research team contributed in 2013 to a first conceptual demonstration. At the time, the solar energy conversion efficiency was 0.01 percent and the expensive element ruthenium played a major role in the compound. Now, four years later, the system stores 1.1 percent of the incoming sunlight as latent chemical energy – an improvement of a factor of 100. Also, ruthenium has been replaced by much cheaper carbon-based elements.
‘We saw an opportunity to develop molecules that make the process much more efficient,’ says Moth-Poulsen. ‘At the same time, we are demonstrating a robust system that can sustain more than 140 energy storage and release cycles with negligible degradation.’
The Latest on: Solar energy storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar energy storage
- Duke Energy provides more than $1 million in grants to support social justice, racial equityon August 12, 2020 at 11:24 am
Duke Energy, through its foundation, today announced the recipients of more than $1 million in employee-directed grants to nonprofit organizations committed to social justice and racial equity. Grants ...
- Regular bricks can be transformed into energy storage devices, could be a green energy solutionon August 12, 2020 at 10:30 am
Whether humans were erecting Neolithic dwellings, ranch-style homes or modern McMansions, bricks have been a favorite of builders for thousands of years.
- Hyperion just revealed the hydrogen-powered, all-electric XP-1, a hypercar with 'atomic bomb levels of energy'on August 12, 2020 at 9:47 am
The new automaker will build just 300 examples of the fuel-cell-powered vehicle, a wild creation 10 years in the making.
- Regular bricks can be transformed into energy storage deviceson August 12, 2020 at 9:14 am
Bricks have been used by builders for thousands of years, but a new study has shown that through a chemical reaction, conventional bricks can be turned into energy storage devices that can hold a ...
- Bloomberg Analysts Predicts California Home Solar Battery Sales Could Quadruple in 2020on August 12, 2020 at 6:03 am
Aug – BloombergNEF has predicted that at least 50,000 California homes will install storage systems in 2020. That figure would quadruple the total from 2019. The forecast came on the heels of a year ...
- NeoVolta announces Exclusive Distributor Agreement with PMP Energyon August 12, 2020 at 5:18 am
PMP Energy Launches Certified Installer Program to Their Dealer NetworkSAN DIEGO, Aug. 12, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NEOVOLTA INC. (OTCQB: NEOV) – NeoVolta, manufacturer of the NV14 and NV24 home solar ...
- A Tesla Solar Roof system is deployed for under $30,000on August 11, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Tesla has deployed a rare solar roof system for under $30,000 (after incentives) as it accelerates deployment of the new solar product. I say “new,” but the Tesla solar roof has technically been ...
- MOTIVE Continues To Shine As It Expands Its Solar Power Efforts Through The Acquisition Of DS Energy Solutionson August 11, 2020 at 8:15 am
MOTIVE, a leading provider of design and construction services, announces the acquisition of DS Energy Solutions to offer customers a turnkey solar power solution. Effective July 1, 2020, MOTIVE ...
- Emmvee, a Trusted Solar Energy Partner Since 1992on August 11, 2020 at 7:16 am
Emmvee, since its inception in 1992, has been a pioneer in manufacturing and developing innovative Solar Photovoltaic Modules and Solar ...
via Bing News