The very first unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to perform a perched landing using machine learning algorithms has been developed in partnership with the University of Bristol and BMT Defence Services (BMT). The revolutionary development of a fixed wing aircraft that can land in a small or confined space has the potential to significantly impact intelligence-gathering and the delivery of aid in a humanitarian disaster.
BMT, a subsidiary of BMT Group Ltd, and the University of Bristol have demonstrated how the combination of a morphing wing UAV and machine learning can be used to generate a trajectory to perform a perched landing on the ground. The UAV has been tested at altitude to validate the approach and the team are working towards a system that can perform a repeatable ground landing.
Current UAVs are somewhat restrictive in that they have fixed and rigid wings, which reduces the flexibility in how they can fly. The primary goal of the work was to look at extending the operation of current fixed wing UAVs by introducing morphing wing structures inspired by those found in birds. To control these complex wing structures, BMT utilised machine learning algorithms to learn a flight controller using inspiration from nature.
Simon Luck, Head of Information Services and Information Assurance at BMT Defence Services, commented: “Innovation is at the heart of everything we do at BMT and R&D projects provide us with the opportunity to work with our partners to develop cutting edge capabilities that have the potential to revolutionise the way we gather information.”
Dr Tom Richardson, Senior Lecturer in Flight Mechanics in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Bristol, added: “The application of these new machine learning methods to nonlinear flight dynamics and control will allow us to create highly manoeuvrable and agile unmanned vehicles. I am really excited about the potential safety and operational performance benefits that these new methods offer.”
Receive an email update when we add a new UAV article.
The Latest on: UAV
via Google News
The Latest on: UAV
- MMC Partners up with Yuneec in Pursuit of Best UAV Solutions for Marketon July 5, 2019 at 11:28 am
SHENZHEN, China, July 5, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- MMC UAV, a leading industrial UAV company that has enjoyed rapid development thanks to its industrial chain integration strategy, is partnering up ... […]
- UAV Drones Market 2019 – Expected to Accelerate the Growth of the Industries Forecast 2019-2026on July 5, 2019 at 9:17 am
The latest survey on Global UAV Drones Market is conducted covering various organizations of the industry from different geographies to come up with a 100+ page report. The study is a perfect mix ... […]
- AFRL XQ-58A UAV completes second successful flighton July 5, 2019 at 8:51 am
The XQ-58A Valkyrie demonstrator, a low-cost unmanned air vehicle, successfully completed all test objectives during a 71-minute flight June 11 at Yuma Proving Grounds, Arizona. The test marked the ... […]
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Uav) Market 2019- Global Industry Analysis, By Key Players, Segmentation, Trends and Forecast By 2023on July 5, 2019 at 4:31 am
(MENAFN - iCrowdNewsWire) A new market study, titled 'Discover Global Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Uav) Market Upcoming Trends, Growth Drivers and Challenges has been featured on WiseGuyReports. ... […]
- UAV Jammers Market Expected to Witness a Sustainable Growth Over 2026on July 5, 2019 at 3:01 am
Jul 05, 2019 (News AIM via COMTEX) -- Commercialization and increasing popularity of the drones in commercial and entertainment applications have led to the considerable increase in the privacy ... […]
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Uav) Market 2019: Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Segmentation, Opportunities, Forecast To 2023on July 4, 2019 at 11:57 pm
A study was undertaken over the global Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Uav) to form an in-detailed report over the same. The objective of the study is to describe, define, segment, and forecast the market as ... […]
- UAV Payload and Subsystems Market Forecasted to Rise by a CAGR of 7.3% during 2019-2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 4, 2019 at 5:11 am
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/r0v1o1 ... […]
- UAV Rotary Engines Market Growing Demand and Leading Players During the Forecast Period Till 2019-2025on July 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
UAV Rotary Engines Market research study stipulates a clear overview of the current market including the past and the projected future of market size concerning volume, technological advances, and ... […]
- Rostec unveils Sapsan-Bekas mobile C-UAV systemon July 3, 2019 at 8:56 am
Avtomatika Concern, a subsidiary of the state-owned Russian corporation Rostec, took the opportunity at the Army 2019 exhibition, held in Kubinka near Moscow from 25-30 June, to showcase its new ... […]
via Bing News