The very first unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to perform a perched landing using machine learning algorithms has been developed in partnership with the University of Bristol and BMT Defence Services (BMT). The revolutionary development of a fixed wing aircraft that can land in a small or confined space has the potential to significantly impact intelligence-gathering and the delivery of aid in a humanitarian disaster.
BMT, a subsidiary of BMT Group Ltd, and the University of Bristol have demonstrated how the combination of a morphing wing UAV and machine learning can be used to generate a trajectory to perform a perched landing on the ground. The UAV has been tested at altitude to validate the approach and the team are working towards a system that can perform a repeatable ground landing.
Current UAVs are somewhat restrictive in that they have fixed and rigid wings, which reduces the flexibility in how they can fly. The primary goal of the work was to look at extending the operation of current fixed wing UAVs by introducing morphing wing structures inspired by those found in birds. To control these complex wing structures, BMT utilised machine learning algorithms to learn a flight controller using inspiration from nature.
Simon Luck, Head of Information Services and Information Assurance at BMT Defence Services, commented: “Innovation is at the heart of everything we do at BMT and R&D projects provide us with the opportunity to work with our partners to develop cutting edge capabilities that have the potential to revolutionise the way we gather information.”
Dr Tom Richardson, Senior Lecturer in Flight Mechanics in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Bristol, added: “The application of these new machine learning methods to nonlinear flight dynamics and control will allow us to create highly manoeuvrable and agile unmanned vehicles. I am really excited about the potential safety and operational performance benefits that these new methods offer.”
Receive an email update when we add a new UAV article.
The Latest on: UAV
via Google News
The Latest on: UAV
- China showcases SAR-equipped BZK-005 UAV in military led firefighting operationon March 23, 2020 at 7:21 am
China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) Central Theatre Command has released images of an in-service BZK-005 medium-altitude long endurance (MALE) unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that has been ...
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Drones Market Size will Grow Profitably in the Near Future 2020-2026on March 23, 2020 at 3:20 am
The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Drones market was valued at Million US$ in 2017 and is projected to reach Million US$ by 2026, at a CAGR of during the forecast period. In this study, 2017 has been ...
- UAV Turbines Demonstrates Its Microturbine Engineon March 22, 2020 at 11:30 pm
UAV Turbines has announced that its Monarch 5 turboshaft engine can now run on natural gas, signifying an unmatched level of fuel flexibility. Previously shown to run efficiently on all types of heavy ...
- UAV Payload and Subsystems Market: Size, Share, Trends and Forecast to 2020-25on March 22, 2020 at 9:22 pm
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “UAV Payload and Subsystems Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020-2025”, the global UAV payload and ...
- UAV Payload Subsystems Market Report 2020-2025: Aerospace and Defense Systemon March 22, 2020 at 9:12 pm
According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled "UAV Payload and Subsystems Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020-2025", the global UAV payload and ...
- Australia’s Orbital UAV teams up with Singapore firm on multifuel engineson March 20, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Australian firm Orbital UAV has signed an agreement with what it said is “one of Singapore’s largest defence companies” to collaborate on the design, development, and initial low-rate production of ...
- India UAV Drone Market Highly Dependent on the Agriculture& Infrastructure Industries for Its Growthon March 18, 2020 at 11:54 pm
The India UAV drone market share will be highly disrupted by aerial camera technology and the expansion of drone usage in several businesses. Enhanced camera technology in UAV drones includes thermal ...
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Market Worth $83.6 Billion by 2027- Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research®on March 18, 2020 at 5:39 pm
According to a new market research report titled, “Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Market by Component (Hardware, Software), Class (Mini UAVs, Micro UAVs), End-User (Military, Commercial, Agriculture), ...
- UAV Turbines, Inc. Demonstrates its Microturbine Engine Operating with Environmentally Friendly Natural Gason March 18, 2020 at 5:20 pm
UAV Turbines today announced that its Monarch 5 turboshaft engine can now run on natural gas, signifying an unmatched level of fuel flexibility.
via Bing News