Factories play a central role in President Trump’s parade of American horrors. In his telling, globalization has left our factories “shuttered,” “rusted-out” and “scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation.”
Here’s what you might call an alternative fact: American factories still make a lot of stuff. In 2016, the United States hit a manufacturing record, producing more goods than ever. But you don’t hear much gloating about this because manufacturers made all this stuff without a lot of people. Thanks to automation, we now make 85 percent more goods than we did in 1987, but with only two-thirds the number of workers.
This suggests that while Mr. Trump can browbeat manufacturers into staying in America, he can’t force them to hire many people. Instead, companies will most likely invest in lots and lots of robots.
And there’s another wrinkle to this story: The robots won’t be made in America. They might be made in China.
Industrial robots — which come in many shapes and perform a range of factory jobs, from huge, precisely controlled arms used to build cars to graceful machines that package delicate pastries — were invented in the United States. But in the last few years the Chinese government has spent billions to turn China into the world’s robotic wonderland.
In 2013, China became the world’s largest market for industrial robots, according to the International Federation of Robotics, an industry trade group. Now China is working on another big goal: to become the largest producer of robots used for factories, agriculture and a range of other applications.
Robotics industry experts said that goal could be a decade away, but they see few impediments to China’s eventual dominance.
Learn more: How to Make America’s Robots Great Again
Receive an email update when we add a new ROBOTS article.
The Latest on: Robot manufacturing
via Google News
The Latest on: Robot manufacturing
- Automotive Industrial Robotics Market May Set New Growth Story | ABB, Fanuc, Denso Waveon February 3, 2020 at 1:51 am
Feb 03, 2020 (HTF Market Intelligence via COMTEX) -- Global Automotive Industrial Robotics Market Analysis 2015-2019 and Forecast 2020-2025 is latest research study released by HTF MI evaluating the ...
- Cartesian robots have value on the manufacturing flooron February 2, 2020 at 11:08 pm
Cartesian robots might not fit anyone’s image of an industrial robot. However cantilevered and gantry Cartesian robots offer several advantages in many applications compared to six-axis, selective ...
- LG deploys service robot in Seoul restauranton February 2, 2020 at 5:45 pm
In the same month, it also launched care-giving robots to Seoul National University Hospital to assist in the care of children in intensive units. LG said it is also developing robots for industrial ...
- The Secret Toy Robot Collection On The Vitra Campuson January 31, 2020 at 6:51 am
The Vitra Campus in Weil am Rhein, Germany, across the border from Basel, Switzerland, may be known as an architectural and design mecca. It is the place where furniture by the likes of influential ...
- Industrial Robotics Market to Witness CAGR of 17% Increase in Value Share During the Forecast Period 2019 – 2029on January 31, 2020 at 5:59 am
VALLEY COTTAGE, N.Y. - A new market research report by Future Market Insights on the industrial robotics market includes global industry analysis 2014-2018 and opportunity assessment 2019-2029. The ...
- Europe Industrial Robot Software Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints & Challenges During the Forecast Period, 2020-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 31, 2020 at 4:31 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Europe Industrial Robot Software Market 2020-2026 by Robot Type, Robot Application, Human-Robot Collaboration, Software Type, Provider, Industry Vertical, and Country: ...
- Recent Study on Global Industrial Controls and Robotics Market Business Growth, Development Factors 2020on January 27, 2020 at 6:50 pm
New York City, NY: January 27, 2020, Published via (Wired Release) Global Industrial Controls and Robotics Market By Type (Industrial Control Systems (SCADA, PLC, and DCS), ...
- Global Industrial Robotics Market is Likely to Surpass US$ 24 Billion Mark by 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 27, 2020 at 1:51 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Industrial Robotics Market and Volume Analysis by Application (Automotive Industry, Electrical/Electronics, Metal, Chemical, Rubber and Plastics, Food, Others, ...
- Berkshire Grey raises $263 million for industrial robotson January 21, 2020 at 6:30 am
Industrial robots and warehouse automation are lucrative intermingling markets, as evidenced by Berkshire Grey. The Lexington, Massachusetts-based company, which combines AI and robotics to automate ...
via Bing News