Addressing safety risks and energy loss for a society with hydrogen energy
A research group led by Professor Hiroyuki Nishide and Professor Kenichi Oyaizu from the Department of Applied Chemistry developed a hydrogen-carrying polymer, which can be molded as a tangible, safe, and compact plastic sheet.
Although technology developments and research on realizing hydrogen as a major energy source have gone under way, the conventional methods of storing and carrying hydrogen were accompanied by safety risks such as explosions. Hence, hydrogen-exposed organic compounds have been recently studied as hydrogen storage materials, for their ability to stably and reversibly store hydrogen by forming chemical bonds. However, these compounds require vessels or sealed tanks operated at high pressure and/or temperature and often encounter difficulty in their separation from the evolved hydrogen gas. A much safer and more efficient system for storing and storing and carrying hydrogen has been in demand.
The research group discovered that ketone (fluorenone) polymer, which can be molded as a plastic sheet, can fix hydrogen via a simple electrolytic hydrogenation at -1.5V (versus Ag/AgCl) in water at room temperature. On the other hand, fluorenol polymer, a hydrogenated alcohol derivative of fluorenone, can release hydrogen when heated at 80 degree Celsius with an aqueous iridium catalyst. What’s more, the group proved that the cycle of repeatedly fixing and releasing hydrogen under mild conditions without significant deterioration, leading to the developement of a portable, plastic ketone polymer with hydrogen that can be carried around in your pocket.
The advantages of the ketone/alcohol polymer include easy handling, moldability, robustness, non-flammability and low toxicity, and the research results are expected to make contributions in building distributed energy systems in regional areas.
Receive an email update when we add a new HYDROGEN STORAGE article.
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen storage
- World’s First Global Hydrogen Supply Chain Demonstration Project Starts in Earneston June 26, 2020 at 2:08 pm
In the supply country, hydrogen chemically fixed to toluene is converted into Methylcyclohexane (MCH), a liquid at ambient temperature and pressure, through a hydrogenation reaction for storage and ...
- Intersolar North America and Energy Storage North America Appoint Advisory Board to Shape 2021 Conference Programon June 25, 2020 at 11:00 am
Intersolar North America (ISNA) and Energy Storage North America (ESNA), the newly combined solar + storage events, today announced the formation of a new Advisory Board to review program content for ...
- Big Oil’s Long Bet on Hydrogen Offers a Climate Lifelineon June 25, 2020 at 5:46 am
The clean-burning energy source is still too expensive to compete with fossil fuels, but oil companies are investing heavily.
- Keppel and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries to explore hydrogen power plant for data centerson June 25, 2020 at 2:42 am
Hydrogen power plant. The objective is to study how a hydrogen powered tri-generation plant can support a data center in an environmentally friendly manner. The data center can ac ...
- Plug Power Spikes 16% On Savvy Hydrogen Deals, Boosted Guidanceon June 24, 2020 at 1:56 am
Shares in Plug Power (PLUG) spiked 16% in Tuesday’s trading after the company announced that it has completed the acquisitions of United Hydrogen Group and Giner ELX. Shares continued to rise 2% in ...
- Cummins to Form Joint Venture With NPROXX for Hydrogen Storageon June 23, 2020 at 3:18 pm
COLUMBUS, Ind.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI), a global technology and power solutions leader, today announced an agreement to form a joint venture with NPROXX, a leader in hydrogen ...
- Cummins to form joint venture with hydrogen storage companyon June 23, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Columbus-based engine-maker Cummins Inc. plans to form a joint venture with Netherlands-based hydrogen storage and transportation company Nproxx, Cummins announced Tuesday. Cummins and Nproxx will ...
- Plug Power Inc. Completes Acquisitions of United Hydrogen and Giner ELX, continuing to execute on its five-year planon June 23, 2020 at 1:55 pm
Plug Power Inc. (PLUG), a leading provider of hydrogen engines and fueling solutions enabling e-mobility, has completed the acquisitions of United Hydrogen Group Inc. Given these acquisitions, the ...
- ZeroAvia Targets Commercial Hydrogen Aircraft Ops by 2023on June 23, 2020 at 9:18 am
ZeroAviation is flight testing a hydrogen-powered six-seat aircraft, but says that by 2040 the technology could carry 200 people more than 3,000 nm.
via Bing News