Electronic-skin prototypes are stretchy, thin films that can sense temperature, pressure and even monitor blood oxygen or alcohol levels. But most of these devices are missing a key feature of real skin that allows us to feel a wider range of conditions: hair. Now researchers have combined hair-like wires with electronic skin to make a more versatile sensor for robots, prosthetics and other applications.
Their report appears in the journal ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces.
Robots and prosthetics are becoming ever more human-like, but the electronic skins designed to enhance their usefulness don’t yet have the full range of tactile senses that we have. For example, they cannot “feel” a light breeze. But fine hair, which covers 95 percent of the human body, helps us feel the slightest wind. To capture that sensation, some researchers have developed separate sensors that mimic this fine hair by sensing and detecting air flow. However, that’s about all these particular devices can do. Rongguo Wang, Lifeng Hao and colleagues wanted to expand on this, combining the features of electronic skin and hair in a single device.
The researchers created an array of artificial hairs with glass-coated, cobalt-based microwires and embedded the ends of the wires in a silicon-rubber “skin.” The “hairy skin” could repeatedly detect a range of pressures, including the landing of a fly, a light wind and a 10-pound weight. And when used with a two-finger robot gripping a plastic block, the new sensor could “feel” slip and friction forces.
Receive an email update when we add a new ELECTRONIC SKIN article.
The Latest on: Electronic skin
via Google News
The Latest on: Electronic skin
- Electronic Skin Market revenue to witness over 14% growth till 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc.on March 19, 2020 at 5:52 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, March 19, 2020 -- According to latest report “Electronic Skin Market by Product (Electronic Skin Suit, Electronic Patches), Component (Stretchable.
- Asia Pacific Self-Powered and Wearable Electronic Skin Market Exploring the Present and Future Stateon March 19, 2020 at 7:19 am
The leading manufacturers of Self-Powered and Wearable Electronic Skin are currently implementing technologically advanced production processes to increase production efficacy and optimize product ...
- Electronic skin sensor detects heatstroke dangeron March 18, 2020 at 8:54 pm
A research team in Japan, lead by Prof.Kazuyoshi Tsuchiya, now has developed a tattoo-like sensor system that sticks to the skin and can indirectly tell the body's hydration level. Reporting their ...
- Global Electronic Skin Market Expected to Generate $1.71 Billion by 2025, at 38.7% CAGRon March 18, 2020 at 5:39 pm
Portland, Ore., March 18, 2020 -- According to the report published by Allied Market Research, the global electronic skin market was estimated at $464 million in 2020 and is.
- Fish scales may find use in sustainable electronic skinon March 18, 2020 at 12:52 pm
Skin-worn flexible electronics show great promise, in applications ranging from health monitoring to gesture control. The devices could soon also be more eco-friendly, as scientists have recently ...
- Global Electronic Skin Patches Market 2020 Intelesens Ltd, MC10, Koninklijke Philips, 3M, GE Healthcareon March 18, 2020 at 1:21 am
Global Electronic Skin Patches Market Analysis by Region North America Europe Asia Pacific and Middle East and Africa by Application Hospital Pharmacies Retail Pharmacies Online Pharmacies and by Type ...
- Asia Pacific Self-Powered Electronic Skin Market will take the highest jump during 2020-2025on March 18, 2020 at 12:03 am
The Self-Powered Electronic Skin market data that is derived from the genuine resources is validated and verified by the industry professionals is presenting it to the respective readers. The report ...
- Asia Pacific Electronic Skin Technology Market 2020: Incredible Growthon March 17, 2020 at 11:06 pm
The market research on the Electronic Skin Technology Market has been performed through standard and the tailored research methodology approach and assumptions. Annual forecasts and estimations from ...
- Asia Pacific Electronic Skin Technology in Medical Market Exploring the Present and Future Stateon March 17, 2020 at 4:02 am
The global Electronic Skin Technology in Medical market report offers information relating to the leading regions, competitive landscape, growth trends, and other crucial information about the growth ...
via Bing News